Midnight mini bimble

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Midnight mini bimble

Post by ll81 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Left my mates last night at Friskney at about 23:45 (Village on worlds toughest cops yesterday evening) and decided to go for a little ride. There is a fantastic road that travells from Revesby to Horncastle so decided this would atleast be the start of my bimble. Route went Friskney, Stickney, Carrington, Revesby, Horncastle.

As I got into Horncastle didn't want to head straight home so after laughing at the amount of drunk people doing various gestures to me got shown a shining light and knew where my pilgramage must take me, the Belmont tower...... The Belmont tower is 351.5 metres high (Wiki) and serves a very large area of the Eastern coast with radio and televsion signals. It is loacted near Donnignton on Bain off the B1125 Caistor High Street about 10 miles out of Horncastle.

Now all I had in my pocket was my phone, when I'd left my mates I did'nt know how much petrol was left as I'd had a little ride before I went to his. So with faith in the chinese engine and the small fuel tank onwards we rode ever getting further from my door. The pitch blackness of the Linolnshire wolds was quite imposing, more so by the lack of travelles on the roads at that hour of the morning. The only light was my headlight and the ever growing tower of intense red light that was my destination. As I weaved and wobbled my way along the potholed road I couldn't help thinking I may not have enough fuel left to get home, I rid my mind of such negative thoughts and and set my sights on my destination. On a C70 holding a steady 37 MPH this turned out to take some time, it was well worth it. I arrived at the tower and knew it was time for a pic. I Wish I had a camera with me instead of my phone as It doesn't do justice to the thing. You get vertigo just looking at the top. For scale it's about 100 metres behind the bike and even 10 meters away from the C70 I couldn't get it all in the pic. Whilst there I peered into my fuel tank, what was I thinking about, it had bloody loads left in it. The time was 00:45

Belmont as caught by my eye on the outskirts of Horncastle.

Getting nearer.

100 metres or so from the tower.

100 meters or so from the tower.

Best attempt at getting all the tower in shot, have to point camera upward so no bike.

After attempting to get a decent pic I made do with what I had and headed back via the same road into Horncastle. A quick stop on the road into Horncastle was needed to take a pic of an old collapsing barn that sits down a bank off the side off the road.

Old barn on Lincoln road out of Horncastle.

I decided to take in the darkest finest single track back roads of the Lincolnshire Wolds for the route home. This takes me past another radio mast of WW2 vintage but no pics as the phone couldn't see anything with its wimpy LED flash. The route home took me past so many little villages I can't name them all. Another village I passed through was also one on worlds toughest cops yesterday, East Kirkby. It was odd to think in that stillness of that footage of armed cops and a helicoptor apprehending snatch and grab ATM thiefs. I stopped and looked at the church where they'd tried to hide, you can't hide from the thermal imaging camera. I laughed to my self and headed homeward.

Upon arrivng home at nearly 02:00 I peered into the tank, was just off reserve. I measured 2.2 liters of fuel to fill her up. That day with the initial route to my mates I had travelled 65 miles. That works out to an impressive 136 MPH holding a steady 37 MPH at 1/2 throttle, very nice indeed. Nights this week so the only journey the C70 will have is the 32/33 mile round trip to work and back. Must remember it will take a little longer than at the 50 MPH I sit at on the Innova.

Edit, tried to put a google map of my route but just puts starting destination, odd.

ll81

Re: Midnight mini bimble

Post by ll81 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:15 pm

OK sorted, don't know what happened there but if you're interested my route was This one.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Ah, this is great weather for a bimble int it :D you can almost forget how bloody horrible it is in winter. Looks like UFO's to me :)

ll81

Post by ll81 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:59 pm

it was a lovely night, in winter the wind would have been howling across there and I'd have barely been able to stand up. Such contrast, I like the fact I can still se it from my house amongst various other transmitters. Lincolnshire sure is a flat county, nice bimbling county though.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Yeah, damn hills :x The Suffolk lads are equally lucky ....

RoadCar
Rides:: Honda

Post by RoadCar » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:44 pm

Think the mast has been lowered since you did this bimble. Still an impressive sight.

ally
Rides:: forza 300 v90, v75a, c90-g, fj1200, CG125ES, cb250, ybr250

Post by ally » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:53 pm

that B1125 is a favourite of mine with big boy bikes, long and sweeping, ace

some pretty country round that way, hagworthingham cafe is a frequent pit stop

for shits and giggles, Alford to Willingham Woods Market Rasen on a windy day, you'll surpised how many car driver friends you make, they all wave at you

:lol:

RoadCar
Rides:: Honda

Post by RoadCar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:51 pm

ally wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:53 pm

for shits and giggles, Alford to Willingham Woods Market Rasen on a windy day, you'll surpised how many car driver friends you make, they all wave at you

I read on one is the Facebook groups that Wickenby airfield is a good place to stop a while. Had a look online has been refurbish.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:41 pm

ally wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:53 pm
I always like to ride through Lincolnshire when coming home from the North. A couple of years ago I was on a biker road in the Wragby area and stopped in a gravel layby for a fag and cup of coffee. 3 riders stopped to ask if I was OK. Nice, doesn't happen often in Essex.

A good friend has just moved to Langworth and I have an open invitation to stay so I'll be up there on a bike soon. We rode together in the 60's and 70's but he steadfastly refuses to get another bike, what a waste!