RIDERS CUB DISCUSSION

Anything else ya ride!
gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Re: RIDERS CUB DISCUSSION

Post by gtd65 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am

That's an interesting looking solution.

I was looking at those cheap black racks on eBay but didn't like the idea of bolting to the number plate mounting point.

I'd just like to fit a top box as a practical method of carrying stuff. I did actually use the carrier bag hook the other day and it was no problem at all! Really quite impressed with how effective it was and the bag was really full.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:26 pm

gtd65 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am
I was looking at those cheap black racks on eBay but didn't like the idea of bolting to the number plate mounting point.
The cheapo (£17.95) rack won't fit the Riders as it bolts to the top of the C90 seat bracket. Also as you say the number plate bracket struggles to support itself, let alone extra weight.

It does work well on the C90 though and takes 5 mins to detach/replace when needed.

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:42 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:26 pm
gtd65 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am
The cheapo (£17.95) rack won't fit the Riders as it bolts to the top of the C90 seat bracket. Also as you say the number plate bracket struggles to support itself, let alone extra weight.

It does work well on the C90 though and takes 5 mins to detach/replace when needed.
Yeah that was my thoughts too, unfortunately.

cornmek1
Rides:: Currently Sinnis Hero 125 - several cubs in the past

Post by cornmek1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:24 am

Riders-stylee on gumtree, Southampton today.. tell a lie, 12 days ago :)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-motorbi ... 1383537180

regards

Kevin

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 am

cornmek1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:24 am
Riders-stylee on gumtree, Southampton today.. tell a lie, 12 days ago :)
Zeths/Mad Munk/Kayak whatever you want to call it. There was somewhere down there knocking them out in 2016/2017, think they came in to Felixstowe via Minibike Craze.

£1250? Someone will pay it, good news for the value of my Riders and Kayak. :D

George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Post by George » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 pm

Are people generally pleased with their Riders? Are they reliable for say 20 000 miles with no major issues? I was looking at one as a sacrificial tool for someone to learn ride on it. Spare parts availability etc.?

cornmek1
Rides:: Currently Sinnis Hero 125 - several cubs in the past

Post by cornmek1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:42 am

George,

I got to 17500 kms , rode for 7 years daily with no issues - changed that rear axle though - bar cosmetic ( weak headset plastic lugs ) before I sold up.

I'd be interested to hear how she is doing - far too speedy blue coloured for retirement..

regards

Kevin

bikerbaker

Post by bikerbaker » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am

George wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 pm
Are people generally pleased with their Riders? Are they reliable for say 20 000 miles with no major issues? I was looking at one as a sacrificial tool for someone to learn ride on it. Spare parts availability etc.?
Pleased, yes, not sure about getting 20,000 out of one though. Spares availability almost nil IMHO, possibly a place or two in Europe but none in the UK that I know of. A lot of Honda/Chinese pattern parts fit obviously but plastics are different and not obtainable here. There are also differences between the various versions of what is basically a Kayak Kaiuno, headlights and switchgear in particular. Got the parts numbers list which is a help if you can read Chinese.

The 2.5 litre tank is a pain but a C90 tank fits. I'm assuming the Riders is the same as the one in the Kayak (Riders is mothballed). The dualseat on a Riders has a rail around it which holds the seat in position, makes fitting a rack difficult. The single seat version has no such problems but, for me, is a bit cramped as I like to sit further back. The kickstart is a different shape and gets caught up my trouserleg so is kept in the top box.

Brakes are far better than a C90 as is the DC headlamp with a proper bulb. Torque is much improved too, it gets up to 50mph easily in comparison. Spokes look to be like tree trunks in comparison to Hondas own.

Bought the Kayak to take the strain off my C90 which it has done. It's been off the road for over 2 years now as I have been. It is a bit dog eared at the moment which is all my own fault. I bugrd the gear selectors when first bought (I was misinformed that it was 4 speed so did a lot of stamping on the lever). It's undergeared due to the extra torque and first gear is not normally required except to wheelie up the Wrynose. A trip through some water on the East Anglian in 2018 took a toll on the starter chain which has now broken and jammed. Managed to bend the brake pedal on some rocks at Matlock as well. :lol:

I'm sure I could fix the Kayak motor, got a spare Riders lump as well, but will be ordering a Lifan 110 as want the extra gear and it should be less hassle. Really looking forward to using it again.

The Riders was bought for my daughters boyfriend to learn and commute on and I used it a little before it was taken to him. I found it languishing unused in their back garden after a year and took pity on it, gave him his money back but it hasn't turned a wheel since, he's gone electric. I won't be selling it as have told him he can have it back some day if he wants.

Learning to ride on would be fine but the plastics getting damaged could be an issue, they are definitely not Honda quality.

George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Post by George » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:17 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am
George wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 pm
Pleased, yes, not sure about getting 20,000 out of one though. Spares availability almost nil IMHO, possibly a place or two in Europe but none in the UK that I know of. A lot of Honda/Chinese pattern parts fit obviously but plastics are different and not obtainable here. There are also differences between the various versions of what is basically a Kayak Kaiuno, headlights and switchgear in particular. Got the parts numbers list which is a help if you can read Chinese.

The 2.5 litre tank is a pain but a C90 tank fits. I'm assuming the Riders is the same as the one in the Kayak (Riders is mothballed). The dualseat on a Riders has a rail around it which holds the seat in position, makes fitting a rack difficult. The single seat version has no such problems but, for me, is a bit cramped as I like to sit further back. The kickstart is a different shape and gets caught up my trouserleg so is kept in the top box.

Brakes are far better than a C90 as is the DC headlamp with a proper bulb. Torque is much improved too, it gets up to 50mph easily in comparison. Spokes look to be like tree trunks in comparison to Hondas own.

Bought the Kayak to take the strain off my C90 which it has done. It's been off the road for over 2 years now as I have been. It is a bit dog eared at the moment which is all my own fault. I bugrd the gear selectors when first bought (I was misinformed that it was 4 speed so did a lot of stamping on the lever). It's undergeared due to the extra torque and first gear is not normally required except to wheelie up the Wrynose. A trip through some water on the East Anglian in 2018 took a toll on the starter chain which has now broken and jammed. Managed to bend the brake pedal on some rocks at Matlock as well. :lol:

I'm sure I could fix the Kayak motor, got a spare Riders lump as well, but will be ordering a Lifan 110 as want the extra gear and it should be less hassle. Really looking forward to using it again.

The Riders was bought for my daughters boyfriend to learn and commute on and I used it a little before it was taken to him. I found it languishing unused in their back garden after a year and took pity on it, gave him his money back but it hasn't turned a wheel since, he's gone electric. I won't be selling it as have told him he can have it back some day if he wants.

Learning to ride on would be fine but the plastics getting damaged could be an issue, they are definitely not Honda quality.
Thank you very much! That's a long answer and I appreciate the time.

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Well I've decided to order one of those cheap black racks to see if I can make it fit.

I'm thinking some sort of jubilee clip type arrangement might be the first step!