Adventures in corrosion, 2010 Enfield Electra EFI

Anything else ya ride!
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Adventures in corrosion, 2010 Enfield Electra EFI

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 am
Well it starts and idles/revs up on the bench ok.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8eeipHxBqU

I’m in need of a 1/4 BSP tap so I can finish the tank conversion from pump to petcock, then it will be road test time.

Also the idle mix is tricky to set so a 14mm colourtune plug will help, I have 2 10mm and 2 12mm but no 14! Just goes to show how long I’ve been mucking around with small bikes and diesels
I might have both Dave. Sure I have the 1/4" BSP, not sure about my colortune, it's old and big....

If you haven't sourced one/both already, text me and I'll post it down.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Viper254 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:30 pm
I've always wanted an Enfield exactly like that... :O one day maybe
Once it is sorted and running properly he'll get bored with it! :Nip in with an offer he can't refuse. lol:

I'm strangely drawn to it, too.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 pm

I have located a colourtune of the correct size, it’s a really old one that’s far more solid than the latter versions, there are some cracks in the glass but it still works well.

I’ve worked out how to read the voltage from the Lambda too so that’s another check on mixture.

I did buy a tap on eBay on the 19th however it has yet to arrive, the correct drill has already arrived so perhaps later this week.

Thanks for the offer Jim, it is appreciated but I’d rather you stayed at home than risk a Post Office visit.

Cap’n May well be right, I do get bored when stuff works properly, the Himalayan is a prime example.

Cheers all!

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:12 am

Adventures in jetting.

The carb arrived with a choice of jetting in the box (amazing what you get for so little cash), however these were designed for 200-250cc motors and I knew the 500 would suck a lot harder and was likely to need smaller jets.

A jet kit cost just over a fiver, and I’ve also splashed out on a cable choke kit for just under a tenner. Add to this a silicone hose to connect the carb to the air filter and my total costs have risen to a tad over 37 quid.

The rest of the conversion parts I scraped together from garage stocks, fuel,pipe and filter, petcock, small piece of 5mm alloy for the tank blanking plate, new throttle cable.

I used the colourtune for the pilot jet, and needed the smallest available (32), before the idle mix screw came into range. The main jet proved problematic as I couldn’t believe how small I needed to go; it’s finally running well on a 110. Of course it’s been 25 years since I played with PowerJet carbs and that was on a TZ racer, basically you need circa 30% smaller main jet as the PowerJet supplies additional top end fuel.

I’m thinking of making an adjustable power jet for the carb, this will allow ‘on the fly’ adjustment which is always useful when touring Europe where there are some pretty high mountains thereabouts. Now for those of you thinking that a properly working EFI system should automatically take care of such matters, this may be true for some high end Bavarian overpriced 2 wheelers but low end simple mapping setups like the one on the Enfield suffer the same problems as carburettors do.

So the bikes all ready for the road, just need lockdown to be lifted.

Stay safe and healthy everybody.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 am

Well it’s all finished, tuned and runs very well indeed. Starts on the button, choke works great from cold as it increases idle speed nicely too.

If anybody attempts a carb conversion like this please note the fuel injector connection needs to have a resistor wired across it otherwise the ECU gets confused and starting can be difficult. The standard Lambda sensor is a narrow band and a very ‘blunt tool’, for tuning purposes and I’m not surprised the fuel injection system tends to jump around.

She’s a torquey beast, the valve timing is very conservative so it runs out of puff at high revs; suits me down to the ground and should make a fine Euro-Tourer.

I did make my own manifold to replace the one I was using taken from the original EFI setup, although it worked fine it was 10 years old and was starting to crack up. Now it just uses a piece of radiator tube and this alloy part.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 am

Loving this.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 am

Diesel Dave wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 am

Is that a plate you made up to replace where the fuel pump sat originally?

Excellent work as usual.

I'm loving hearing about it, too.

8-)

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Indeed, like most fuel injected systems the pressure pump is inside the tank, for cooling purposes I believe.

It does leave a rather large hole when removed...

The other ‘thing’ with wiring showing is the low fuel warning sensor, I’ve left that in place and wired in as the tap I fitted doesn’t have a reserve position.

I do have a slightly sticky hydraulic tappet, but the oil was filthy so I’m hoping a couple of short mileage changes will flush it through. Also the decompressor was noisy as it relies on a tiny hair spring - a bit of ‘re-tensioning’ Seems to have sorted that out.