Adventures in corrosion, 2010 Enfield Electra EFI

Anything else ya ride!
Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Adventures in corrosion, 2010 Enfield Electra EFI

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:08 pm

You know when someone offers you a bike cheap, and you say ‘No, no no, I have too many already.....’; then they show you a picture and it looks all nice and shiny......don’t do what I do, just walk away, run, go to the pub for a few days till it’s all a distant memory.

So I bought this cheap.

The paint is nice and the chrome is mostly intact, OK it didn’t exactly start immediately on the button but after a few attempts it sat there’s idling noisily.

I even paid cash and took it away on the spot.

So after pumping up the tyres and swapping out the fuel, adding a touch of injector cleaner to the mix, I ventured off into the Essex wilds to put some miles under the wheels and get some fuel through the injector and clean it out a but. It was lumpy but sure enough after about 10 miles it cleaned up the fuel system and the motor came back onto song nicely.

I’m so chuffed with myself.

The following day is the usual Weds morning retirement club ride, with confidence oozing from every pore I even put the missus on the back and we head off to the rendezvous.

We didn’t make it.

Less than 2 miles from home the bike conks out and so it’s a swift pillion ride home on a mates bike to collect the van and retrieve the bike. We return on the Himalayan and have a grand day out.

Returning to the garage, it’s time to start the investigations, and yes it turns out there is green rot everywhere in the system.

Kill switch,

Side stand switch, main power relay, side stand relay, and main battery connection.

So all of this stuff is fixable without the need for wads of cash to be thrown at it, happy days.

However the tyres were feeling decidedly ‘sketchy’ on the road so taking a close look at the date codes, yes they were the originals and even the rear wasn’t down to the wear bars despite 9000+ miles. Time to peel them off and luckily I have a set of Avon Skidmasters in store.

I’m very grateful for having tyre levers that are 2 feet long, jeebus those tyres were tight. Despite taking no care whatsoever over their removal both tubes came out unpinched! Sure enough the inside of the rims needed a heavy dose of wire wheel to clean out the rust and new rim tapes (well gaffa tape is goof enough); and I only pinched one tube fitting the new tyres.

Other jobs included replacing the brake fluid and cleaning the pistons in the front brake, the rear is still terrible but I suspect the shoes have been contaminated with chain lube as some previous numpty was overly fond of the spray goop.

I’ve run to the expense of a new spark plug and found the standard paper air filter has been replaced by one of those detestable K&N types and this may account for the rather sooty appearance of the original plug. I’ll give it a bath in white spirit next. Also the crankcase breather pipe split and dumped oil all over the exhaust and casings.

The list of jobs continues to grow oil filter and oil, fork oil swap, centre stand is sticking down but at least it managed yesterday’s Weds OAP outing without embarrassing me.

Onwards and upwards
DD

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Re: Adventures in corrosion, 2010 Enfield Electra EFI

Post by dmw1950 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:56 am

I think that's good buy Dave, original tyres proves the lack of use and the electrical corrosion gets sorted, bike was probably washed to much.
Happy days, small profit, quick return as Henry Cole would say, or its a keeper classic if they stop producing them at the factory.
Regards
Dave

Chimp
Formerly c90cpc
Rides:: 1965 CT200, 2013 CB500X, 2013 Grom, 2019 RE Bullet Trials

Post by Chimp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Have you ever said no to a bargain Dave? ;) :lol:
Looks smart, enjoy.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:20 pm

The plot thickens however, I think one of the hydraulic tappets is playing up as it takes a few minutes of running to stop clattering.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:48 pm

The adventures continue,

Turns out not to be a failing hydraulic tappet but instead it’s the little hair spring that controls the decompressor action - that’s a big relief because replacing a tappet means splitting the cases!

The oil has been swapped and the filter changed, there are two magnetic plugs and both were decidedly ‘furry’....

New EBC ‘HH’ type brake pads have made a huge improvement to the front brake along with fresh fluid and cleaning the pistons too.

I did manage to score a new throttle body for very little cash so I swapped it out as this provides 2 new sensors. Throttle Position and Manifold pressure. It’s made no difference to the running whatsoever.

It’s not left me stranded at the side of the road again but trust takes time to build up.

In the meantime my Uber-expensive clutch and belt drive has arrived for my Enfield diesel mk2, sadly this means reworking the primary cover as it’s much wider - so the job will be bigger than originally intended.

Onwards and upwards.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:47 pm

After several weeks of trying to diagnose the EFI system I’ve decided to draw a line under that particular path and experiment with experiment with a carburettor conversion.

Being the tightwad that I am, there’s no way I’m handing over 200 quid to Hitchcock motorcycles for a kit so I splashed out a whole £15.72 on a chineesium 32mm KOSO.

The postie delivered the package as if it was live ordinance, placed the package on the floor, rang the bell and took 4 steps backwards and explained that a signature was required however ‘we don’t do that anymore mate’.

After donning 2 pairs of gloves and expending a whole can of carb spray disinfecting the package, burning the box too; I gave it a trial fit.

Make up a new cable and bobs you uncle...

Hightechpete
Rides:: Streamline Innova,Honda Shadow,Jialing 70,C100,Honda 400,Helix

Post by Hightechpete » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm

That's all very well Dave but will it run well enough for a gentleman of your exacting standards, or will it be consigned to shelf of ' offerings to the gods of speed' ?.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 am

Well it starts and idles/revs up on the bench ok.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8eeipHxBqU

I’m in need of a 1/4 BSP tap so I can finish the tank conversion from pump to petcock, then it will be road test time.

Also the idle mix is tricky to set so a 14mm colourtune plug will help, I have 2 10mm and 2 12mm but no 14! Just goes to show how long I’ve been mucking around with small bikes and diesels

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm

No 1/4 but can lend you a 10BA :lol: :lol:

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:30 pm

I've always wanted an Enfield exactly like that... :O one day maybe