Hello! Newbie here.....

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
paulos123
Rides:: C90

Hello! Newbie here.....

Post by paulos123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:23 am

Hi all, new to the forum but not to Honda C90’s. I started riding ‘90’s’ when I was 18. Inherited a blue E reg in great condition with an original white Rickman top box. Beautiful bike, but like many others, I sold the bike and ‘upgraded’ many years ago now. Anyway, I’m looking at getting another C90. This is where I have had a lot of pain. Many of the bikes I’ve viewed and test ridden have similar issues. Common issues include exhaust emissions escaping from the exhaust gasket (sometimes despite the owner fitting a new non OEM exhaust) and 90’s which struggle to change up from 1st to 2nd. Embarrassingly on one test drive the bike refused to change out of 1st, much the am summer (annoyance?!) of passer by’s who must of thought that I had either stolen it or just not have a clue as to how to ride bikes! :roll: :lol: Anyway, my search for
a 90 continues. If anyone has any other tips as to what to look out for when viewing, please do let me know!

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Hello! Newbie here.....

Post by bikerbaker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Welcome, you're in the right place.

Pretty much everything is fixable and has been dealt with on here over the last 10 years. Rust obviously is the worst and easily hidden by the plastics on a square lamp bike - don't ask how I know!

Exhaust leaks are easy if you have both studs still in the head. My C90 has had just one stud for 5 years, doesn't leak and passed MOT this week courtesy of Firegum.

Adjusting the clutch is easy and is the first stop on selection problems. It is however possible to bend the selectors. If the bike will change into second when stopped, by rotating the lever backwards, it could be that. I have this problem with a Chinese copy and never use 1st apart from very steep hills, when it becomes difficult to keep the front wheel on the deck! Must get it sorted one day. :D

Good luck with your search!

paulos123

Post by paulos123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks biker... Yes, it’s certainly most things are fixable. The beauty of the C90. Some questionable prices being charged out there too... Anyway, enough with my moaning, my search continues! :D

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:13 am

Croeso. A warm welcome to you.
This is an extremely helpful, friendly forum and in my opinion, the best out there.
Whatever your query, you will get an answer from the many hardened, knowledgeable experts on here who will be only too glad to help.
If you let us know your location then you may also get local help nearby from a member, if you wish.
Be sure to use the Search facility as well though many find it's better to go on Google with your query and include C90club in your search as it still directs you to "us"
This guide to buying a cub may help:
viewtopic.php?t=23987

Good luck.

paulos123

Post by paulos123 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks Knapdog. Very helpful. I’m not rushing my search for a 90, just taking my time. I’ve rushed decisions like this before and come a cropper.

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Welcome!
Hope you find a bike soon!