New to Forum just bought an S90 in bits

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
AshimotoK0
Rides:: CB750K0 ...lots of projects inc S90

New to Forum just bought an S90 in bits

Post by AshimotoK0 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:57 am

Hi from East Yorkshire .. my name is Ash but everyone knows me as Ashimoto.

I have lots of Honda Projects (14 in fact ) From a UK CB750 (1969 build... one of 1st batch of 20 in the UK) down to my most recent aquisition, a 1966 S90, completely in bits. I recently purchased a '61 CB92 Benly project and the seller had several S90's or parts of them all totally stripped down, so I decided to piece together an S90 too (my 1st bike as a schoolboy was a 1965 C200) .. I opted for a frame and forks which were solid and have the V5C present. All of the engines were in bits and looked pretty worn and none were the correct engine number or the frame, so I opted for the only complete engine, which was dirty and with a blank engine number pad. I need to go back (240 miles from me) to pick up the CB92 plus the S90 parts but I fetched the engine back and stripped it down. It transpired that the crankcase with the blank number pad on it is sandacast and the mating half is diecast (the interior of the sandcast is brown resin coated just like on a CB750 sandcast. Interestingly, what seems like the engine number was marked on the inside, in faded marker pen . I have now stripped & cleaned everything up and degreased in my ultrasonic cleaner. I got a separate head cam and rockers from the seller that are in good condition, so no worries there. The stripped engine is not brilliant ... it looks like the oil pump has seized and there are no teeth left on the sprocket shat that drives it. One plus is that the kickstart shaft looks amazingly good condidering the state of the rest of the engine. I got a NOS piston/rings +0.5 mm with it, so going to get a rebore. The crank had no big end play when I checked it in 'V' blocks but the small end eye is enlarged so I will either need a replacement crank or conrod kit (any advice welcome on sources). It seems that the conrod early part is a ---216--- CB160 part but a good buddy member on SOHC.co.uk (Hairygit) tells me a 6v C90 crank will fit anyway. Hairy also old me about this forum so a massive thanks to him for that.

The seller sold me NOS painted mudguards and chrome tank panels with the project and I already had a set of correct S90 badges. All in all, I don't think I will be short of restorable frame parts (airbox, metal chainguard, early winkers etc) but if any one has any engine parts to sell/trade I would be interested. I have a NOS seat but I guess it not for the S90 but I am going to make it fit I think, as it is Genuine and in lovely condition plus the seat seat pan is amazingly similar to the S90 .... I will post pics later .....Cheers for now ...

PS I have been an active member on SOHC.co.uk for about 10 years and built up this colllection of Honda manuals to download from my Dropbox. I just got a paper copy of the No.3 version of the S90 Parts Book (old nd new part no's), which will scan at work and add to the list. I did ownload a 1972 No.5 Parts Book off the internet but sadly, it doesn't appear to cover the early models, which is somewhat strange.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

andyk1k
Rides:: 1966 S90 1998 royal enfield 350

Re: New to Forum just bought an S90 in bits

Post by andyk1k » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:18 pm

I have a few bits,will see what l have for trade as l am after a 45 exhaust and silencer for mine if you've got the geared pump l know l have one for spare.

AshimotoK0

Post by AshimotoK0 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks .. the seller had several oil pumps . I think I have located a NOS genuine silencer but I too still need a 45 degree downpipe.

andyk1k

Post by andyk1k » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Hmmm :? 90 degrees exhaust are ten a penny l currently run a up and over system which is very good,so no rush really but next one l see lm grabbing it,these S90,s are really very good 😊 make sure its the alloy barrel and the cd/cb stators' are far superior to the terrible glow worm current supply they wear.good luck with your restoration
Andy.

AshimotoK0

Post by AshimotoK0 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Some crankcase pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshimotoK0

Post by AshimotoK0 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 pm

the NOS seat I have ..not sure which model it fits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andyk1k

Post by andyk1k » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Go on Honda S90 parts puzzler blog all seats are there,plus much more.its late btw ;)