New toy - Enfield Himalayan

Anything else ya ride!
Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: New toy - Enfield Himalayan

Post by Capitano » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Thing is Knapdog, It's a bit like folks wanting 5mph more out of their Cub. It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't.

In 8+ years of running the W800 page on Facebook, probably the most asked question was, "What's the best way of getting more speed?" When interrogated, most people who asked this had never reached the top speed of their W, and lived in countries where the legal speed limit was 70 mph or less.

In truth, you could get quite a bit more power than the 49bhp standard output, but it changed the characteristics of the bike considerably. ie it wasn't what it was meant to be. It was a totally different bike. A bit like how a Triumph Bonneville 1200 is now far heavier, more powerful, and a totally different bike to the original Hinckley 790 that was designed to be a logical step on from the Meriden T140V. The 120s are superb bikes, but "Bonnies" they ain't.

It's something encouraged by erstwhile media like MCN claiming that the 94 bhp Africa Twin they tested didn't really have enough "oomph" for two up riding.

It's why the manufacturers sell sportsbikes, even the 600s that won't hit the sweet spot in their power bands in first gear before well in excess of 70 mph.

It has been a bit of a personal enlightenment, dropping back from a larger capacity motorbike onto a sub 200cc scooter. However, on the brief motorway rides I've done on it, it keeps up, and it overtakes safely. When traffic speeds up to an 80 mph average I'd rather sit it out these days.

The point of this rambling is that the Himalayan is kind of in its own niche. There really isn't anything else quite like it. Attempting to make it faster, more powerful again makes it what it ain't meant to be. I really, truly, hope that Enfield don't go down the road of "improving," it beyond what it is.

It's enough, and enough is good enough. 8-)

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

If the interceptor takes off I can see the Himalayan going larger to reduce production costs but unless things have changed since I toured India the home market preferred the 350cc RE over the 500cc.

Personally I think the Himalayan was marketed just at the right time with the boom in adventure bike sales but more importantly a bike for sensible money.

As Ged states I now struggle to justify running a 1200cc bike when I can finance, insure & tax a fiat 500 for a lot less (though the thought of owning a car again bores me)

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 pm

horobags wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 am
think he’s bought another as well.
sorry its Nathan Millward who’s currently riding through Bulgaria.

Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 pm

horobags wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 pm
horobags wrote:
And a very honest review.

http://www.gettingintoadventure.com/roy ... -miles-in/

The Himalayan is what it is. Perfect for up and over Glenshee, Braemar and the Lecht. The low speed stability and handling is excellent. I found myself riding "throttle hand only" and noticed "Itchy Boots" doing the same. It really is a very easy bike to ride. Mine is returning around 100 miles/ 5 litres, and when the fuel gauge hits red and the trip starts flashing there is still around 5 litres left. It's not fast, but it is flexible. I've still got a few more miles @ 50 mph, but it's an enjoyable breeze.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 pm

horobags wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 pm
horobags wrote:
Same bloke innit. Enjoyed his "Long Ride Home".
There was a FB post about an Himalayan frame breaking in India, he came to it's defence. :D

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:52 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 pm
There was a FB post about an Himalayan frame breaking in India, he came to it's defence. :D
Nothing unique to RE I recall lots of posts about broken shaft drives on BMW,frames on early Kwak ER6s
I know which I'd rather own & have a failure with and better suits my wallet :ugeek:

Not yo mention there be a welder every other village who could repair the RE

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 pm

agree, these weld snaps happened on the 1st batch that went to a hire company in the “himalayas “, so mostly wragged off road. There have been frame mods on the later models that came to the UK
There’s been lots of pics on line saying shock horror!!, but you can do this with any manufacturer, if we started a fault list on BMW’s for example we would be here for a while.
You only here about the odd bike with a fault, not the thousands riding around all over the globe trouble free.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:16 pm

horobags wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 pm
agree, these weld snaps happened on the 1st batch that went to a hire company in the “himalayas “, so mostly wragged off road. There have been frame mods on the later models that came to the UK
There’s been lots of pics on line saying shock horror!!, but you can do this with any manufacturer, if we started a fault list on BMW’s for example we would be here for a while.
You only here about the odd bike with a fault, not the thousands riding around all over the globe trouble free.
Heartwarmingly said, particularly the bit about BMW's. :?

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:49 pm

dmw1950 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 am
They must be good, 'Itchy Boots' youtube video round the world travelers bike Basanti is running well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvo7tjzjXI
Not any more it cannot be registed in Holland because the india regs, are different,so Royal Enfield Holland have taken it and gave her a new one [in black]

Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am

Had mine in for its first service last week, no issues other than the nasty locks on the panniers. I've put over 700 miles on it, and kept to the running in speed, and it is noticeably slackening off. Interestingly, when I asked about the valve clearance checks, the reply was it would get done at the annual service, as no one does over 3000 miles a year ? :o Really ? Best way to get value for money out of an Enfield, is ride the wheels off it. Oh, and I got a 650 twin for the day to play on. What a revelation that was. Puts just about any other retro bike I've ridden to shame. Sure it's budget, but what a load of fun I had on twisty back roads. It's smooth, flexible, superb handling, everything worked just right (for me) I bought a Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic when they first came out, and it was truly a horrible bike, the 650 GT is everything the Fuzzy Guzzi should have been.