Royal Enfield Classic 500 efi

Anything else ya ride!
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Royal Enfield Classic 500 efi

Post by knapdog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:30 pm

One thing I've noticed is I'm melting my shoe on the exhaust when I brake.
To ty to cure the problem I've put some exhaust wrap on .....

I'm not 100% sure how secure those stainless steel cable ties are but I've got some stainless hose clamps as a standby.

As a matter of interest, any views on wrapping the full downppe?

Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:10 pm

knapdog wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 pm
Well I said I'd put some pics up.
I've picked her up thanks to billyfix and his giant van and the fantastic mr. fox.

With only 137 miles on the clock, I took her for my first spin today.

Suspension: soft
Brakes: poor
Comfort: adequate
Steering: left or right
Cornering: it will lean
Engine/exhaust sound: perfect ( will be even better with shorter exhaust I've ordered)
Gearbox: not bad
Torque: very good
Acceleration:I'm running it in
Character: shed loads
Build quality: better than I thought
Vibrations: yes
Ride: UNIQUE

Verdict: love it!

The brakes will get better.
Once you get used to it you can really throw it around.
Gearbox on mine was superb, check primary chain tension.
Acceleration, won't improve.
Vibration. Mine ran super smooth at 58mph on the clock. Also at 70mph up hill, 70 downhill, horrible.
Plus, check your battery terminals. The early ones had a habit of vibration fatigue breakage. Slipping an old bit of inner tube over the battery and cables like a big elastic band does the trick.

Also, Punctures. It's easy to get the tube out on these without completely removing the wheel. Break the bead with a set of welding clamps or a g clamp, and once you've got the tyre off the rim, the tube can be slipped out with the spindle pulled out a little and the spacer removed. I've done it plenty, and it saves a load of time. Likewise, if you want to remove the wheel and not go to the bother of hinging the mudguard (not so easy with the pillion saddle) a couple of spacers machined up that slip over the stand base will give enough lift to clear the wheel. Does the disc rear still have a QD hub ?
A free flowing exhaust will make a bit of difference, but you might need a power commander or similar. There is/was an American product which is simpler and cheaper that worked well.
Plus give it another oil and filter change. When I got mine there was still bits of "rag" appearing in the filter at 2000 miles. Oh, and keep an eye on the engine mount bolts/spindles. It's also a good idea to take them out and fire some copper slip on them. Lastly, don't spray ACF 50 on any of the rubber, it literally dissolves it.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm

knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:30 pm
My own experience is based on the SV's. They both had scruffy front pipes, very common. The K6 was not too bad so I wrapped it in black and planned to paint the K1 pipe. The K6 looked very smart for about 6 months until it went pale grey, it also stank every time it got wet - as it did when first applied (wet).

A couple of years later I saw a post about cleaning S/S pipes with Harpic and had a bash on the K1, it came up very well. Opened up the wrap on the K6 to reveal corrosion which will need the pipe removing and repolishing, or painting.

Probably be fine if you remove it periodically and polish the pipe but personally I wish I'd never bothered. :D

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:03 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm
knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:30 pm
My own experience is based on the SV's. They both had scruffy front pipes, very common. The K6 was not too bad so I wrapped it in black and planned to paint the K1 pipe. The K6 looked very smart for about 6 months until it went pale grey, it also stank every time it got wet - as it did when first applied (wet).

A couple of years later I saw a post about cleaning S/S pipes with Harpic and had a bash on the K1, it came up very well. Opened up the wrap on the K6 to reveal corrosion which will need the pipe removing and repolishing, or painting.

Probably be fine if you remove it periodically and polish the pipe but personally I wish I'd never bothered. :D
Thanks, Chris.
I actually agree with you regarding wrapping the whole pipe. Maybe if it was an old banger then perhaps. It would be a shame to wrap such a shiny downpipe. Remember I've only got that short length to stop my boot melting
Thanks for your input.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Simple solution mount the brake pedal above the zorst :lol: :lol: .

Is it a bit low and near to the pipe though ?

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:26 pm

wightegi wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm
Simple solution mount the brake pedal above the zorst :lol: :lol: .

Is it a bit low and near to the pipe though ?
It's in the standard position and obviously can be adjusted but it is about right where it is.
If I were to remove the wrapping I'd just have to get into a new regime of correctly placing my footto avoid the pipe. Anything is possible.

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Earnest Thrasher wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:10 pm

The brakes will get better.
Once you get used to it you can really throw it around.
Gearbox on mine was superb, check primary chain tension.
Acceleration, won't improve.
Vibration. Mine ran super smooth at 58mph on the clock. Also at 70mph up hill, 70 downhill, horrible.
Plus, check your battery terminals. The early ones had a habit of vibration fatigue breakage. Slipping an old bit of inner tube over the battery and cables like a big elastic band does the trick.

Also, Punctures. It's easy to get the tube out on these without completely removing the wheel. Break the bead with a set of welding clamps or a g clamp, and once you've got the tyre off the rim, the tube can be slipped out with the spindle pulled out a little and the spacer removed. I've done it plenty, and it saves a load of time. Likewise, if you want to remove the wheel and not go to the bother of hinging the mudguard (not so easy with the pillion saddle) a couple of spacers machined up that slip over the stand base will give enough lift to clear the wheel. Does the disc rear still have a QD hub ?
A free flowing exhaust will make a bit of difference, but you might need a power commander or similar. There is/was an American product which is simpler and cheaper that worked well.
Plus give it another oil and filter change. When I got mine there was still bits of "rag" appearing in the filter at 2000 miles. Oh, and keep an eye on the engine mount bolts/spindles. It's also a good idea to take them out and fire some copper slip on them. Lastly, don't spray ACF 50 on any of the rubber, it literally dissolves it.
Thank you for your response. You've given me loads of tips.
I promise I'll take all your suggestions on board.
Taking her out in the morning for a spin.

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 am

Diesel Dave wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 pm
knapdog wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 pm
Diesel Dave wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm
If you lay it up for any length of time add some fuel preserver and take it for a small run so it goes through the pump and injector.
Thanks DD. It's only been out a couple of times over the last 15 months with only 137 miles on the clock.
When I put petrol in it yesterday (super unleaded) it was almost certainly only the second time it's ever happened.
Any running in thoughts, anyone? I was certainly working the gearbox yesterday and taking her up to half throttle in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Same advice I give for C90’s, buy a 40 quid TTO cylinder head temp gauge and watch it like a hawk.

Doesn’t matter if you run it in hard or soft, just don’t overheat it and melt the piston or more likely drop out an exhaust valve seat.
Any links to these please? And do they work with 6v?

Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am

Here's a link to the power commander alternative, worth checking if they do on for your bike. They were cheaper and easier to install and set up. Not sure if there's a UK supplier, so expect duty slapped on top.

http://www.electronicjetkit.com/viewEJK ... ?manid=216

Also don't believe some of the negativity that can surround these bikes. They are still basically a 1950's bike, treat them as such, and they're fine, and don't go looking for problems that aren't there.

Here's some ladies having fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7lbKnSlz4

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Earnest Thrasher wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
Here's some ladies having fun.
So without being called misogynistic how come none of you guys I ride with are either this good looking or rock tailored jeans/leathers :lol:

Your accents don't do much for me either :oops: