Early 2000's Hyosung motorcycles?

Anything else ya ride!
AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Early 2000's Hyosung motorcycles?

Post by AE86 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:36 am

Hi all,

I really like "big" bikes with small engines like the Varadero 125, but the price is way too much to justify it but I stumbled on a nice looking 03' Hyosung Comet. I don't care about brand names and the like, I just like the size of the frame and the small displacement motor.

I know Daelims, Sangyangs, Kymcos and the like, but never had any experience with Hyosung. Anyone work on these or have any experience with Hyosungs before? Build quality looks cheapish and basic, but for the price I'm not going to be picky.

AE

Looks like this, colour and all.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Early 2000's Hyosung motorcycles?

Post by Capitano » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 am

Yes we have!

It wasn't good! :o

I have a whole rant about it somewhere. I will copy and paste it when I am on my Mac, not my phone.

Bear in mind that I had bought my Son a cheap early 2000s Chinese 125 as his first bike. He put 12000 miles on it in 10 months and we sold it for almost what we paid.

The Hyosung was his 2nd bike. A very low mileage 250 Comet. It was utter cr@p, and that was compared to the Chinese 125!

I would never advise anyone to contemplate buying one unless, like the last person who refuted our experience, you only want one to ride a few hundred miles a year.

Sorry. :(

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 am

I don't normally feel this strongly against any particular bike and my experiences may conflict with that of others. I am normally the voice of reason as regards motorcycles. I can see the good in most bikes when used for the right purpose.

I've owned a vast number and helped mates look after a vast many more. Japs, Euro, Brits, HD, Chinese bikes and Iron curtain clunkers. None has inspired me to spill vitriol like the one Hyosung I bought my lad.

Doesn't look half bad does it? Read on....

Back a few years ago when my Son got his restricted full licence the options were to either get a 33 bhp restricted Jap like a CB500, ER5 etc or a sub 33 bhp 250. By chance a 2000 mile Hyosung GT250 came up on ebay and we snapped it up quickly. 2 years old and owned from new by an old guy and fitted with a nice pair of Bridgestones replacing the Korean tyres at the first service.

It had a full service history in that the guy had it serviced by a main dealer every 6 months because he didn't do that much mileage, it was garaged and was in better condition cosmetically than a brand new bike.

Bear in mind here that the lad's previous bike was a £600 Chinese Jinlun 125 that he ran for a year and did his test on. It ran perfectly for that year and got through what was its 3rd Winter on the road looking no worse than when we'd bought it despite him crashing it 3 times (incurring a whole £35 of expenditure to fix it!)

We were quite confident as regards the Hyosung, being Korean and "near Jap quality" so we were told. "Much better than that Chinese rubbish" was another comment. "It's a Suzuki with a different badge" was another.

Well they were wrong. What an utter pile of junk it was! The starter solenoid was the first thing to fail. A week of starting it with a screwdriver across the terminals before I fitted him a genuine Hyosung replacement...that failed within 2 weeks! I fitted a secondhand one from a Yamaha Virago next which cured the problem.

Next went the starter motor, which meant bump starting the bike until we fitted a new replacement...which failed after 2 weeks! That went back and I got a refund after much complaining. I found a secondhand one on ebay from a scabby 125 someone had decided to break because he was "fed up of fixing the bike". It had always started ok though, he'd maintained.

Next the starter button stopped working. The contacts had burned out. Luckily the guy breaking the 125 had a right hand switch set so I stripped out the starter button workings from that and that fixed that...then the dipped light switch on the left side failed! The guy didn't have that though he'd already sold it to someone whose 125 had failed the same way.

I gave up and bought a set of Suzuki Bandit switches, right and left and modded the wiring to fit them. Given that the pre-purchase whispers said that Hyosung virtually make Suzukis, the switchgear from the Bandit was far better quality.

The bike was also corroding badly, and the frame paint starting to flake. Remember that this bike had never been used in Winter. At the start of its first Winter on the road it threw off its drive sprocket due to a flimsy tab washer arrangement fastening it. I replaced that with a proper sized nut and spring washer.

I could go on but the upshot is this. Never in 40 years of riding on 70+ bikes I've owned have I come across a bike so shoddily made and with build quality as bad and I've had American, European, East European, Russian and Chinese bikes.

I'd buy certain Chinese bikes in a heartbeat but never ever ever again will I even entertain buying a Hyosung. I looked at a brand new Aquila 650 parked up at the recent Classic Show at Arlington. It has the same rubbish switchgear as the lad's 250 did.

If you buy a Hyosung, you might be seeing sights like this...quite often!

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:41 am

Personally, I think if you had gone through the bike from day one and not just foisted an untried and untested bike on a novice biker you would have fared a lot better.

I purely put it down to a shocking lack of preventative maintenance. I suppose/hope other people will learn from your lack of both, paternal and motorcycle care and not blame a perfectly good motorcycle for your shortcomings. Truly shocking.

Bogger :D

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am

Bogger wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:41 am
Personally, I think if you had gone through the bike from day one and not just foisted an untried and untested bike on a novice biker you would have fared a lot better.

I purely put it down to a shocking lack of preventative maintenance. I suppose/hope other people will learn from your lack of both, paternal and motorcycle care and not blame a perfectly good motorcycle for your shortcomings. Truly shocking.

Bogger :D
:lol: .... yep .... or maybe just not buy a Hyosung. Either way it will be a more rewarding experience.

Thanks for your insight Bogger. 8-)

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03 am

Always happy to help and point out peoples shortfalls in life. I must say, I take no pleasure in this by the way :roll:

Bogger

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Shame, as you say, nice looking bike

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm

So, that's a yay or nay Capitano? :mrgreen:

That being said, your experience reminds me an awful lot regarding my first Chinese scooter except mine had a kicker luckily, so when the starter gave out I at least still had a bike.

I suppose if the price is really low it might...nah, never mind. Cheers for the input I'll be steering clear.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Must admit I have looked at Hyosungs a few times over the years. That 250 looks the part and I would definitely have been tempted when looking for a second bike for my son. I also liked the look of the Bros 400 but was put off by their grey import status and the fact that they had all been couriered to death (in my mind a good recommendation). In the end we bought a 2000 MY sv650 for less than a grand which I still have and still use. The only problems in 5 years have been with the starter and rear caliper, both easily fixed. Can't bring myself to sell it.

Considered the 650 a couple of years ago when both Tim and I were considering bikes in Oz. I did enquire about shipping the SV out there but whilst the shipping was reasonable the inspection/registration kerfuffle made it unworkable. There are quite a lot of Hyosung 650s out there but they didn't seem that cheap in comparison with Jap bikes so Tim bought the Gladius and I have the Postie. Common sense prevailed then.

I can see how people might be drawn into owning one. A localish dealer had 2 unregistered 650s in red and silver earlier this year at £2995, they looked good to me, very much like the old model SV650S which is old hat now but I like (obviously). :D

Wuyang
Rides:: None at present

Post by Wuyang » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Jesus........sounds like a right bag of........

Buy a wuyang