Projects are like buses......Enfields

Anything else ya ride!
Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Projects are like buses......Enfields

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm

So after acquiring a second Modenas Kriss that definitely a ‘work in progress’, suddenly another Enfield gets offered with V5 for less than a ton, and it has the complete early disk brake front end that retained the metal fork shrouds.

Waaaay too many projects now, I may have to shed a few so the CT200 may have to go as may the CG125.

So it’s missing the primary drive and case along with the clutch and gearbox contents but I already have those, all I need is to locate a nice little diesel motor from one of those Axiam microcars and I’ll be in business.

Last edited by Capitano on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title spelling correction :-)

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Projects are like busses......Enfields

Post by bikerbaker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Makes you wonder how you ever found the time to go to work doesn't it?

I've just finished painting my house so found myself at a loose end today. Decided to try the Harpic trick on a very scruffy SV exhaust to good effect (thanks Knapdog). On the basis of that result I have more to do.

Riding through Rochford a couple of days ago I saw a rather smart looking Enfield coming the other way, it sounded like a Diesel but I could be wrong. I have a history of being wrong. Apparently. :lol:

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Riding through Rochford a couple of days ago I saw a rather smart looking Enfield coming the other way, it sounded like a Diesel but I could be wrong. I have a history of being wrong. Apparently. :lol:
Can't be mine then.... :lol:

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm

I think there's a glitch with imgur, your photo host, Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Capitano wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm
Cheers Cap, should be fixed now

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 am

Diesel Dave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm
Capitano wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm
Cheers Cap, should be fixed now
Looks like it is. 8-)

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 am

Oh look, a proper rear seat! That'll earn you some Brownie points with SWIMBO. :D

bikerbaker

Post by bikerbaker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:34 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Saw it again today and I was indeed wrong. It was a Bullet with a very small diameter fake fishtail on it. :lol:

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Today - I feel like a demigod - the bike runs at the touch of the starter and glow plug button, it idles perfectly, the charging system works together with the charge warning light, the oil pressure light goes off pretty much instantly too.

Progress on the new bike has been slowing as the weather closes in and I have been taking advantage of the good riding weather to be out and about instead of locking myself in the garage with my rather large nose to the grindstone.

So, what has been achieved on the new diesel Enfield...

The wiring loom has been tidied up and all the required relays fitted and tested inside the left hand toolbox.

The fan belt cover is finished so I won't loose my right trouser leg when riding the thing.

The fuel system has been plumbed in properly - not an easy task as the fuel pump had a seized valve and I didn't want to drop the engine to replace it. Eventually it freed up with the engine running on gravity fuel feed with a pressure feed to the pump on a recirculating tank until the ball valve freed up and the pump started to do it's thing properly. Also the overflow circuit has been completed so the spill from the injector pump, injectors and the air bleed from the fuel filter has been completed. Diesel fuel systems may be simple in design but difficult to execute with pressure piping that needs to be both tightly routed and completely airtight or the system can airlock.

I have been procrastinating one one major aspect - the primary drive cover. It's a difficult task on several levels:

It needs to keep your foot/ankle/leg safe from the thrashing duplex primary chain
Needs to contain a lubrication feed for the clutch bearings, plates and chain.
Needs to keep oil out of the starter motor.

Of course I could always just splash out 600 quid for the belt drive and dry clutch setup......Nope.

I did make a start on the cover this afternoon, it's a long drawn out process as every 'tin can section' needs a disk cutting out of 3mm alloy with a grinder then a strip to fit around the outside that then needs to be bent into a circle then welded before welding the disk onto one end to create what is basically an alloy version of a tuna can.

Anyhow - I ran out of welding gas (again).

Hopefully the H4 headlamp glass will turn up tomorrow and I can grab a new bottle of Argon so progress can continue.

Knowing my luck it will be roadworthy just as the first snow and ice hit the roads - better start planning for a crash bar!

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:08 pm

What's the motor in this one from originally, Dave?