Peugeot Vox

Anything else ya ride!
ally
Rides:: forza 300 v90, v75a, c90-g, fj1200, CG125ES, cb250, ybr250

Re: Peugeot Vox

Post by ally » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:41 pm

I was interested in ed march's latest video, a trip through vietnam, looks bloody stunning

if you watch the video the level of garage serviced is none too clever, bodge fitting and low quality parts (AE has alluded to the parts quality in his latest videos - sorry man!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUN0SugntKQ

:)

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 am

gtd65 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:45 pm
AE86, are you actually in Vietnam?

One of my other pals is interested too and was just wondering (if you are in Vietnam) if you have any tips about doing such a thing over there?
Honestly, I'm not the right person to ask about where to go and such (also because I'm probably relocating out of country soon), but I can offer advice on mechanical things (such as parts to buy and avoid), but that's about it. Other travellers would be better to ask about tourist places and guesthouse info, etc.

ally wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:41 pm
if you watch the video the level of garage serviced is none too clever, bodge fitting and low quality parts (AE has alluded to the parts quality in his latest videos - sorry man!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUN0SugntKQ

Interesting video (I'm halfway through), but I've got to say I'm seriously doubting the level of bodge work they're claiming. Even the worst of numpties here wont fit the wrong size piston like that, not because people care about their work over here (they really couldn't care less), but because those shops would be assaulted and destroyed by the locals if they were that bad. Even where I live (far from the city centre around lots of rice fields), the mechanics are...I'd say so so, by decent Western standards.

Yes I've had my share of bad parts and failures (latest was @ 5,000 km because the bore was honed incorrectly) and a bad cylinder head from China (100 km, the casting was bad from the factory), but that's a far cry from hammers on the big end and "press fitting" pistons into the bore.

I'm sure they did have problems, but to me it looks like they either exaggerated for effect on the film or they got things done as cheaply as possible at the worst looking places (my suspicion) hoping there would be problems to film along the way, or the local mechanics didn't like them and did a bad job on purpose... If they had gone to a decent looking shop or chosen genuine Honda parts (most don't, as they're often 5-10 times more expensive than cheapy stuff), there would have been much fewer issues.

I've even got one of those purple Super Dreams that's still on it's original Honda Viet built top end with 50,000 km, and that's the norm here, not the exception. I've also got 5,200 km on a Viet made 110, only problem have been punctures.

Anyway, I'm not saying Viet stuff is good (it's definitely not compared to western standards), but I think people are blowing things out of proportion for shock and entertainment value, and that's not cool in my opinon.

My .02 :)

AE86

Post by AE86 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 am

EDIT: After thinking about it, I wanted to add this in but couldn't edit the post any longer.

You can get really bad parts over here for really really cheap, and you can also get really good parts for really really expensive...the biggest problem is with sellers and unscrupulous mechanics trying to pawn off cheap junk for higher prices , and there is no shortage of dishonest sellers unfortunately willing to do that, especially when it comes to people overcharging and extorting tourists.

ally
Rides:: forza 300 v90, v75a, c90-g, fj1200, CG125ES, cb250, ybr250

Post by ally » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 am

the pricing aspect is an interesting one, replacement forks for (iirc) $22 new, bargain!

don't worry AE, being ripped off and paying for poor work happens here too, I wasn't trying to disrespect Vietnam, just passing on a cautionary tale

AE86

Post by AE86 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:43 pm

No it's fine, I just wanted to clarify things as I didn't want people to think Vietnam was a ticket to cheap OEM grade parts...prices are around the same except there's a lot of dishonest fake makers here. Complicated situation, so it's difficult to summarise in one go so it turned into a long post.

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Have you had a chance to look at those Lifan Vintage retro cubs that they make?

I’ve not got any inclination to be buying parts while over there but know you can get very cheaply priced parts in Indonesia.

I just fancy going to see the countryside and see anything that’s worth seeing. I’d be interested in all sorts of stuff related to the war.

It’s really only an idea right now – will likely combine it with a visit to Thailand to visit some of my colleagues who currently reside there.

I wanted to visit Vietnam 20 years ago when I lived in Hong Kong but there was always other more established options (which usually involved diving) available in Thailand and the Philippines for a fraction of the cost.

I’ll have a gander at that video when I get away from my Japanese task masters here in the office (@Mitsubishi) and see what information I can glean from it.

AE86

Post by AE86 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I've seen some Cub replicas here, (not sure which ones they are), and they were scarily bad and cheap. I mean, I wouldn't trust them to ride half an hour kind of bad. Doesn't mean they can't be good, but I've only seen bad ones here.

Vietnam has some gorgeous countryside and beautiful places to ride, and if I had the time I would ride all over the country for hours on end. I mean it, beautiful and I wish I lived closer to some nice roads and mountains.

In Ho Chi Minh city there are many places you can see that have war monuments and such, but I'm sorry, I don't know where they are and I haven't been to them yet. My wife (native Viet) tells me a lot of places to see like the tunnels, some old churches, places with tanks, etc. I wish I had a moment to go.

Personally if I could see those monuments and spend some time on some good roads, I could leave and be happy because there isn't anything else I like about Vietnam.

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:49 pm

AE86 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:36 pm
I've seen some Cub replicas here, (not sure which ones they are), and they were scarily bad and cheap. I mean, I wouldn't trust them to ride half an hour kind of bad. Doesn't mean they can't be good, but I've only seen bad ones here.

Personally if I could see those monuments and spend some time on some good roads, I could leave and be happy because there isn't anything else I like about Vietnam.

This is the Lifan VIntage, Perhaps I was getting confused with Thailand?
http://www.motorival.com/lifan-vintage-110cc/

Is it that bad in Vietnam?

I havea couple of pals that have visited previously and really ejoyed the place overall. One of the women at work here had a bad experience, when she lost her passport!

I've done around 2200km on my cheapo Rider's Super Cub 110cc. It's probably the same standard as the ones you mentioned :D

AE86

Post by AE86 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 am

It's not terrible here, (except when it comes to replica bikes, then it's really bad :lol: ) and that Lifan vintage looks nice I have to say. To be fair, it's quite a pleasant place to live and the living standard is very good considering it's recent history. I live a comfortable live in SE Asia, so in terms of "stuff", it's quite nice I have to say.

I think what I don't like about Vietnam more has to deal with a spiritual level of things, trying not to sound religious. Everyone is out to make money, everyone is out for stuff, everyone is out to promote their image, and it makes this place so damn cold at times that it makes me wonder why people love their money and fame so much.

Of course not everyone is like that but a sizeable percentage are, and so instead of there being clubs (like here) for the sake of the club and enjoyment of our little scooters, there's no such thing here. If it's about making money, it exists, if it's about the love of something or for the genuine benefit of humanity...forget it.

Too many people don't understand you can be a good person without financial incentive, and that's why I don't see a future here for my family and I.

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:03 am

I have to admit I didn’t imagine that Vietnam would be like that at all.

My (presumably now ex) GF in the USA has a very good looking Vietnamese friend who does modelling. This girl was married to the most boring American guy I’ve ever met and I long suspected she was simply a bar girl/hooker that he’d met and imported to the USA as his wife. Everything is about money for her. She and her husband have since divorced and it turns out that she expects an “allowance” from any guy that she’s dating. 2+2 =?

I know that during my years of living in Hong Kong, there were certain attributes that the locals had which I found either amusing or bemusing at times.

Most people were generally in a rush going from point A to B and it used to make me laugh how frantically people would always press lift buttons to close the doors, particularly if other people might need to get in the lift and hold them up by 2 seconds or so.

Being a Scottish male, I’m stereotypically inclined to seek out a bargain. I used to get all sorts of good deals in Hong Kong and it used to severely piss off some of my local colleagues, as they assumed I’d be ripped off at every opportunity, whenever & wherever possible. This is quite a common outlook throughout South East Asia to be fair.

For a long time, I was into building PC’s and forever upgrading various components. We used to discuss the latest hardware options and the best places to source them – normally at the Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po. I got to know a guy at one of the shops that said he would always beat the lowest price. He did always give the lowest price, as it turned out!

Whenever I bought a component, at a lower price than my colleagues, I always got the “fake” component according to them. It was all part of the fun as far as I was concerned.

There were also attributes with my Japanese colleagues that were hard to understand at first. We were taken out very regularly for meals and entertainment during the week by our Subcontractors. We’d be drinking and chatting and the Japanese lads would be suggesting going to this bar or that and we were all best mates having a good night out. At a certain point in the evening, the Japanese boss would stand up and announce he was leaving. 2 seconds later, all of our Japanese drinking buddies would rise, almost in unison and depart tout suit! The first couple of times this occurred, you simply wondered WFT happened!