Custom cubs

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
paulpilg123
Rides:: 1975 honda c50

Custom cubs

Post by paulpilg123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:02 am

How do people feel about modifications to Cubs...ie custom/street Cubs?personally I think there a refreshing change

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Re: Custom cubs

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 am

Look different, ok for popping down to the cappuccino bar.

Can't tour on one, difficult to insure, and can cause some horrific whiplash injury's :?

General Monty

Post by General Monty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 pm

One word Dave...How ?

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I think Dave is confusing his weekly visits to Ms Whiplash (bring your own barbed wire underpants and hand lotion) with the spinal condition caused by a sudden and violent acceleration caused by impact to the rear of a vehicle....

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 pm

That's a real injury from a previous Matlock meet. It was the result of a tow-line breaking! However, I think I'm right in suggesting the custom was doing the towing..... ;)

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm

paulpilg123 wrote:How do people feel about modifications to Cubs...ie custom/street Cubs?personally I think there a refreshing change
Yeah, great, bring it on, it's a happening scene, AS YOU WELL KNOW.

Unfortunately there's an element intent on tarnishing us as only interested in standard, concours bikes, which you know full well is bollocks. ;)

It seems some of the scooter custom boys are turning to Cubs to strut their stuff now that scooters are prohibitively expensive. WHen the quality of what they turn out gets up to the quality of the far eastern stuff, and matches the scene there, I think it might take off.

We had someone a while ago whack up a custom for sale, and I think it surprised a few at how much it made. :D

We've seen the best and highest prices fetched for Cubs going to the cleanest, lowest mileage, most original bikes so far, but this may well change if the custom scene can keep up it's momentum.

You yourself Paul, are responsible in part for creating that momentum. For my part, ANYTHING which creates interest in our bikes, the scene, the lifestyle that goes around small bikes, is a good thing.
To me, the more people promoting the bikes etc, the better.

Historically the bikes have been seen as something of a joke, being called Boggers, Crunchies, chicken chasers, and midwives bikes etc. One of the really good things has been that the people drawn to them, are those that like the quirky, the odd, and the bit different.

This means that 99% of the people I've met through the cub scene, are people who are very much ok about themselves. After all, you wouldn't ride a 'silly' bike if you couldn't stand being ridiculed. So most of the people I've met at meets are right sound people up for a bit of banter and the like.

However, we've been banging away for nearly five and a half years now, building and creating the interest. In that time, the prices have gone up, we've accrued 7500 members, and the bikes are increasingly being seen as 'cool'.

As a consequence people see how the scene is evolving in the far East. And Greece too. And this also, feeds into the 'These bikes are cool' stream.

So now, we are getting an influx of people who aren't the previous 'rock steady oddballs' but the kids who 'have to be, and be seen, to be cool'.
Lots of these, aren't so ok about themselves. So they are a bit of a different mix.

We went through the same sort of thing when the Pit Bike lads came onboard. Lots of chavvy text speak, lots of potty mouthing, etc. Things have settled down nicely now though, and the mechanical knowledge, the know how that they brought over with them, is immense! Same with the Monkey Bike guys, they've settled in here, again bringing much welcomed and appreciated knowledge to the pages.

The scooter boys don't seem to get past the FB pages TBH, and they don't like that these pages are moderated, so they can't call everyone a c***, and everything isn't f****d. We've kept the standards we set five and a half years ago, and most people appreciate it, like it here, and stick around for a bit. We think we do ok. Whatever, we do the best we can.

At one point we looked very close to becoming a 'Bike forum' rather than c90club. That's ok too, fact is people like the ambience here, whereas on many other less moderated forums nasty undercurrents and tensions can build up. We don't put up with that here. Be nice to each other, is what we say.

We don't have subgroups, cliques, or gangs. Or 'Posse's', or territories. So from chops, customs, racers, concours restorers, monkey bikers, pit bike racers, and adventurers, we are simply, about all things Cub, and all things motorcycle. Simples! :D

Newt. AKA Jim Brown on FB. ;)

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Ps, get some of your lads to get some project threads going here! I'm well aware of some of the good stuff you got going on!

We get like two and a half million hits a month. (Might be more now!) We have many readers who never post. Our audience is huge, and international.

That's why we don't put up with text speak and potty mouthing. It's not much to ask for a place to build a thread with a vast appreciative audience! :D

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 pm

I must admit to liking street/customs very much, in fact Im turning away from big bikes ( which ive had since the early eighties) and finding theres much more fun to be had on a cub. The recent matlock weekend was facinating for me, every cub weather mint or ratty was that little bit different , and had its own character. I haven't the skill to even think about a custom project, so I appreciate the work that goes in to them and they certainly are unique.
Jim has just explained the way this club is set out to run, and for me it definatley is friendly, and members in the know are more than happy to help others, which doesnt happen in some other clubs/forums.
So for me be it custom/street/rat/concourse/rusty nail, every cub has a story behind it and I find them all interesting.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:57 pm

PPS. Paul, don't talk about turning up at Copdock mob handed 'to see my face' next year, do it! :D

In fact if Gibson jnr had checked his 'other folder' this is part of the message I sent him on the 15th September, in part for his old man;

"PS. we're at Copdock (Ipswich) Motorcycle show on 7th Oct, we will have a stand for the 4th year running. If anyone wants to show their bikes custom or otherwise, on the stand, providing they are on site by 09:30, they would be welcome. Cheers!"

I couldn't message Gibson snr, as the tart has blocked me. ;)

So there you have it. A personal invitation. :)

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 pm

BenB wrote:That's a real injury from a previous Matlock meet. It was the result of a tow-line breaking! However, I think I'm right in suggesting the custom was doing the towing..... ;)
Exactly!

Them things are dangerous!