My New? ST70

A place for Monkey Bike and Mini Bike (including Grom/MSX) enthusiasts. This will be moderated in accordance with C90Club rules. Welcome!
Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Re: My New? ST70

Post by Bern » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi Jim

I'm fairly certain that the cover is held in place by a single bolt that passes through the head from the opposite side, if this is the case take care on re-assembly to get the tag on the cover in the right position, it butts upto a lug cast into the head

ATB Bern

Jimo
Rides:: Honda NH125 Lead, NH80 Lead, ’78 ST70, ‘94 Helix

Re: My New? ST70w are you

Post by Jimo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi Bern, how are you? Thank you for your observation, really it would seem the only explanation - but I can’t find reference to it in any Manual, it just seems taken for granted for some reason.

I’m not in a hurry to pull the engine apart but sometime I’d like to de-rust and paint the barrel, the rest of the engine looks good and it runs well and starts easily - although I’ve not been out on the road yet with it, just waiting for an OEM upward exhaust pipe to arrive and will put it on, already fitted the centre and prop stand assembly, new MPH speedo and LED Indicators plus the usual Decals and a few other bits so it’s looking good.

Many years ago I had a 6v C90, a lovely bike bought for a tenner that I shouldn’t have parted with, I’ve still got the original Haynes Manual for it that I’ve just looked through.
I’m now having the chemo treatment for my bladder cancer together with using a catheter & bag with which I’ve had no end of trouble..... with district nurses supplying the wrong sized parts, Hey Ho!
Let me know if/when you’re coming this way and we’ll have a jar and natter together.

Jim

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi Jim

Exploded diagram here .... https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st70-dax-en ... QRoq0DTXIU .... if you buy any parts from them watch out for exorbatant P&P costs

Next door had chemo for bladder cancer, took a while to get him sorted, but he's out on his Triumph America again now, keep the faith bud, it's worth it in the end

Deffo will give you a bell if/when I can get across, jug & natter always good

ATB Bern

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:14 am

Ah Bern, Thanks very much for that, it shows very well.
As regards the big C I just live in hopes.... it would be great to meet again when you can.
VBW
Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 pm

wightegi wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:22 pm
Did you fit an LED bulb in the tail light ? if so you are mixing AC and DC ,disconnect the feed to the bulb and take a new one from a black wire.
Not sure what wiring diagram was followed by the installer.....

But the battery is Neg (Black) Earth ?

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:50 pm

Although my ST70 is running ok I have a future need to replace the externally rusted barrel so have bought a replacement ‘kit’ comprising barrel, piston, rings, pin and circlips, also got a two rattle-can package of VHT Gloss Black (SP905) VHT spray paint for the cylinder that is claimed to deter rusting, while there I thought I might as well check the valves at the same time so I’ve armed myself with a ring compressor £14.99 from Amazon that cmsnl wanted £79 plus postage for.

My previously ordered OEM high level exhaust - ordered from Germany cost a small bomb but in addition yesterday I got a message from ParcelForce that required me to pay an extra £51.30 for customs, import, and service charges. Oh B...dy hell!
But this was paid and delivery should be tomorrow 5/8/21 - Quite expensive eh? But it’s done now.

My special V.I.N. label for the steering head also arrived yesterday and looks a really good product, all together I’ve amassed quite a few bits and pieces that should give me plenty of time in the garage once all the ordered parts are to hand.

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Jimo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:50 pm
Although my ST70 is running ok I have a future need to replace the externally rusted barrel so have bought a replacement ‘kit’ comprising barrel, piston, rings, pin and circlips, also got a two rattle-can package of VHT Gloss Black (SP905) VHT spray paint for the cylinder that is claimed to deter rusting, while there I thought I might as well check the valves at the same time so I’ve armed myself with a ring compressor £14.99 from Amazon that cmsnl wanted £79 plus postage for.

My previously ordered OEM high level exhaust - ordered from Germany cost a small bomb but in addition yesterday I got a message from ParcelForce that required me to pay an extra £51.30 for customs, import, and service charges. Oh B...dy hell!
But this was paid and delivery should be tomorrow 5/8/21 - Quite expensive eh? But it’s done now.

My special V.I.N. label for the steering head also arrived yesterday and looks a really good product, all together I’ve amassed quite a few bits and pieces that should give me plenty of time in the garage once all the ordered parts are to hand.

Jim
The above should have read: VALVE SPRING compressor £14.99.....

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:10 am

Well Guys - and Gals did you spot my mistake in saying the bike is 1972 - it is actually 1979, - blame it on old age! ?

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:45 pm

When I get around to replacing the barrel on my ST70 the thought comes to mind of camshaft timing, nowhere in either st Manual can I find details of this operation, any info would be appreciated before I start the job.

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Has anyone got an ST70 sump guard assembly they don’t want, I’m looking for one.

Jim