My New? ST70

A place for Monkey Bike and Mini Bike (including Grom/MSX) enthusiasts. This will be moderated in accordance with C90Club rules. Welcome!
Jimo
Rides:: Honda NH125 Lead, NH80 Lead, ’78 ST70, ‘94 Helix

Re: My New? ST70

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi Steve, that’s a good looking bike you have there and well used, at 83 mine won’t get used so much but Ive always liked the ST’s and now I have one! You’re right the bike was imported but from where I don’t know, the mudguards are new chrome ones and were quite expensive so I don’t intend changing them, the indicators are JDM, also new but work well, the only thing this bike hasn’t got is a Centre stand which is a pity as it appears difficult to fit without causing paintwork damage.

I’m really quite happy to have ‘accidentally’ got such a good model - it’s NOT a Model of course but you know what I mean. At my age I’m happy with the 70 engine and don’t intend mucking about with it like I would have done years ago. My next job is to insure and tax it along with my other bikes insured with Peter James Ins Co who I’ve been with for years. The speedo is in Km and it’s reading indicates 11600Km od which comes out at 6000 od miles.

Jim

steveST100
Rides:: 1983 C50LAC 1976 ST100 1980 ST70

Post by steveST100 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi Jim.
Center stand is part of the footrest and not part of the frame. Will take some photos of the spare one i have.

steve g

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:54 pm

That’s kind of you Steve...., I don’t suppose you want to sell it do you? Being a part of the footrest might make it easier to fit.

Jim

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi Steve, I’ve found a new centre stand at OO RACING*co*uk and have ordered it.... should be here in a few days, how I’ll get at the job I don’t know but I’m not mucking the paintwork up.

Set of Decals also ordered so I’ve got jobs to do?

Jim

steveST100
Rides:: 1983 C50LAC 1976 ST100 1980 ST70

Post by steveST100 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi Jim.

Is the stand this one?

https://www.ooracing.com/footrest-hange ... -bike.html

If so should fit fine.
Honda as far as i know only did them as side or center and not both on the same footrest.

steve g

Jimo

Re: My New? ST70en I get it up on the W insured

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi Steve, Yes that’s the one I’ve ordered.....no doubt there will be instructions with it, we’ll see, interesting that it’s side OR centre but not both, suppose we can’t have everything but there we go. Maybe when I get it up on the stand and someone to assist the job won’t be too difficult. Bikes now insured so within couple of days should be able to license it on-line with DVLA.

Jim

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Jimo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm

Next job will be to insure it then tax it (free) but getting the SORN cost me £37! - I thought it was free?
Ferkin Nora :shock: Looks like you've been through a site that charges for a service that is deffo FREE if done on the Government site
Pleased you are on the mend bud, I've also been in hospital quite a lot since we met, 5 lots ofpnuemonia, blood clots on the lungs, high heartrate (255bpm) & most recently low heartrate (24bpm) so now have a shed load of daily pills & a pacemaker fitted :roll:

Jimo

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi Bern, my god I’m shocked to hear of your health probs and really wish you the best for an improvement. Re the charge for SORN I photo’d the page and will post it if I can, as far as I knew I Was on a DVLA site but obviously it now seems I wasn’t, maybe I’m too vulnerable to some con artists, unfortunately my photo didn’t capture the name of the site.
I’ve insured the bike today so in a couple of days DVLA should find out then I’ll be able to tax the bike, not too sure about riding down that stoney drive, some ambulances have made it but on two occasions at night lady ambulance drivers have baulked at the idea and left their vehicle on the road - causing me to have to walk down to it in full sweat!

Jim
Sorn application to a rip off site removed as it had personal details on it wightegi

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi Jim.

Sorry bud but you've been 'had', there are a number of sites that come up in searches before the .gov.uk one :( There are loads of 'low lifes' on the internet making a profit from honest people like yourself :evil:
Thanks for your kind thoughts, the consultants seem to have got me sorted, feel a lot better now than I have for over 2 years :D
Have you had that most excellent boat out lately ?

Jimo

Re: My New? ST703

Post by Jimo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Hi again Bern, yes it seems that I’ve been had -again! I found great difficulty with my balance after two h/a’s and really felt forced to sell the boat fo fear of going overboard accidentally due to loss of balance, it was a great shame after more than 50 years of single handed boating, my other hobby of building and flying large model aircraft also had to be abandoned for the same reason, - if I looked up to the sky while controlling my aircraft I would get dizzy and fall - then (as now) if I fall I cannot get up unassisted due to lack of strength, because this is a constant threat I have to be extremely careful about avoiding such an occurrence.

Indeed my ST70 acquisition is the result of disposal of my dear old Sunbeam S8 after more than 50 years of riding and ownership, when getting the Sunbeam our of the garage recently I could hardly lift it off its stand or manoeuvre it out of the garage due to its weight, that hasn’t increased - it’s me that has lost the strength I once had, sadly it comes to us all eventually.

Jim