300mpg streamlined recumbent Innova!!

Anything else ya ride!
Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Re: 300mpg streamlined recumbent Innova!!

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I've ridden a Quasar, not easy to control when you get a side wind, even passing a lorry at 80 had the bike change lanes...

General Monty

Post by General Monty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:11 pm

I was reading on a forum a few weeks ago about these things. Apparently just by adding a domed screen which diverts the air over your head doubles fuel economy.

Hightechpete
Rides:: Streamline Innova,Honda Shadow,Jialing 70,C100,Honda 400,Helix

Post by Hightechpete » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I was reading on a forum a few weeks ago about these things. Apparently just by adding a domed screen which diverts the air over your head doubles fuel economy.
I doubt it, take a look at http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-ro ... stance.php. My fully faired recumbent improved from around 90 mpg to 125 mpg overall.
There are other advantages however, like staying warm and dry :D

General Monty

Post by General Monty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:30 pm

That's what it said, to be honest I couldn't care less, when it's empty I fill it up, never worked out an mpg in my life, life's too short !

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Well bully for you. Doesn't bring much to the thread though does it?

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Hightechpete wrote:
I doubt it, take a look at http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-ro ... stance.php. My fully faired recumbent improved from around 90 mpg to 125 mpg overall.
There are other advantages however, like staying warm and dry :D
And when you fall off the bodywork takes most of the impact :geek: :lol: ..sorry :oops:

Bogger....I could have sworn I've just said sorry :?:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Hmmmm. Wonder how far you would slide?
Disappearing in a flurry of fibreglass & plastic. Like putting a hand grenade in a cornflake box!

Looking at the trend in car design at the moment, it seems to me the streamlining aspect is disregarded largely. Trend seems to be for hulking great high things with lump on like giant toads, at the moment.

Incidentally, I lost my clear screen off Git a few months back. Have left the lower fairing in place. The bike is definitely a bit slower as a result, but here's a thing...
I was lamenting on my arrival in Lincolnshire last weekend, that I had blown off a tank of fuel in 68 miles..... :idea:

laugar
Rides:: honda innova 125i 2010(sold) ,honda innova 125i 2008,CB 500 1996

Post by laugar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Im getting about 160 mpg in mine now.
That's 90 % motorway and with a Honda windscreen which im sure is why I get the amazing economy.
I sit at 50 on the motorway ( a busy stretch of M4 to heathrow ) and don't thrash it around.

Heres a link to one of Tamirkr's vids on you tube which backs it up.(he's done loads of well made maintenance vids for the innova aswell)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f6OEcf ... FjLAVjnv4A

PeteM
Rides:: Honda ANF 125 2005

Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 pm

Appypollyloggies if I missed a more recent slippy-Innova thread than this one. I´m new here.

Having recently met a colleague of Jacobs I think I have something new to contribute to this thread.

First of all, to those unfamiliar with recumbent bicycles (you know, the ones with pedals) Allert´s Innova is about as slippery as an African bull elephant in charge mode compared with the production bicycles they ship out. Velomobiel are the household name in fully faired bents. They know a thing or two about fluid dynamics. Still, those Passat tail light clusters are the dog´s.

His colleague, an absolute gentleman, was kind enough to show me his very own bent Cub copy. It´s a Hi-Bird with a carb Innova lump with retrofitted fuel injection and a powerful electric bicycle front light. I would have bought it there and then had I experience of registering weird-looking bikes in Belgium. Amazing machine. Purred like a kitten. He offerred it to me for pennies considering the hours of tender loving care he had invested in it. I may still go back up there to buy it once the travel restrictions are lifted.

He told me that his plan was to build something like this instead of the (nearly) fully enclosed machine Jacobs has: http://www.evomoto.de/index-Dateien/page0062.htm. Dr Bauer, another engineer like the chap(s) at Velomobiel, also reports 100 kilometres per one litre of fuel (yes, 282 mpg for youse Imperial lot) at a 90 kph motorway cruise and a top speed of 130 kph but with less sensitivity to side winds, and exposed legs. His fuel stats are on Spritmonitor.

I´m going to build something similar to Dr Bauer´s machine, partly because I already have that seat (it´s from an M5 Mid-racer).

Old Dutch telly clip of Jacobs getting pulled over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NRW7_B2Ug The colleague I had a chat with may or may not be the man on the silver stock Innova.

I can´t wait for figures of my very own, especially considering I´m a shortarse. Jacobs and his unnamed colleague are your Dutch garden-variety two-metre pylons with their heads sticking well clear of the fairing...