Innova…heated jacket n grips advice

Anything else ya ride!
Wuyang
Rides:: None at present

Innova…heated jacket n grips advice

Post by Wuyang » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:57 pm

I’ve bought myself innova…..had plenty in the past but never fitted Oxford heated grips. This is a 04 carb model. I’m not too clued up on available power available to run accessories, so any advice is welcome.

My previous experience of running a heated jacket with my inj innova didn’t go too well, I mean it heated the jacket, but it seemed to drain the battery and proved difficult to start, but eventually got it started on the kick start. The jacket was wired directly to the battery…..I believe it’s a keiss jacket waist coat type with heated collar.

Can anyone advise me if the innova is capable of running Oxford heated grips, keiss heated waistcoat or both…..if so do you advise connecting direct to the battery or other wiring.
Cheers all

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Innova…heated jacket n grips advice

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:57 pm

Oxford Premium grips are power sensing and limit the heating according to the output so should not drain the battery, the lights flash when power is being limited. The ones on my Wave are hardwired to the battery and work well enough even at the usual 80% level. I'm told by the guy I bought the bike from (who has a couple of adventure Waves) that if I fitted an LED headlamp bulb they would get to 100%.
I've only once left them on accidentally which drained the battery, you can turn them off with the buttons but a proper switch would be better.

No idea on heated jackets, I use a powerbank heated gilet as was discussed on here last year.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:27 pm

Both wightegi and I run Keiss heated waistcoats from stock C90 electrics. They perform brilliantly, and personally I never feel the need to supplement with heated gloves, grips or whatever.

For years I dismissed as nonsense the principle of warming your body core instead of trying, and failing, to heat your extremities, whilst using a lot more power.

Frankly, it isn't. It works, and the Keiss waistcoat will run happily from an Innova battery.

But, what do we know, eh?

8-)

Wuyang
Rides:: None at present

Post by Wuyang » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:20 am

Thank you all for the advice. I love my keiss heated jacket it’s a brilliant bit of kit. See how I go this winter, so it looks like running both could drain the battery. I think I will try the jacket first this winter and see how I get on. I do have some hand cover/ muff style which I will also add, they are not lined but enclose your hands, so with decent gloves I should be set…fingers crossed.

Scootyman
Rides:: Honda Vision 110esp, Honda CBF1000

Post by Scootyman » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:01 am

Capitano wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:27 pm
Both wightegi and I run Keiss heated waistcoats from stock C90 electrics. They perform brilliantly, and personally I never feel the need to supplement with heated gloves, grips or whatever.

For years I dismissed as nonsense the principle of warming your body core instead of trying, and failing, to heat your extremities, whilst using a lot more power.

Frankly, it isn't. It works, and the Keiss waistcoat will run happily from an Innova battery.

But, what do we know, eh?

8-)
It’s all in the power consumption with this. The waistcoat uses much less power than the jacket hence it works well.
Referring to the other comment made about LED bulbs giving more power, sadly it’s not so on an Innova or a Wave. They use a half wave rectified system to power the headlight which is a different circuit to the main charging system.
Hope that helps

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:31 pm

Scootyman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:01 am

It’s all in the power consumption with this. The waistcoat uses much less power than the jacket hence it works well.
Referring to the other comment made about LED bulbs giving more power, sadly it’s not so on an Innova or a Wave. They use a half wave rectified system to power the headlight which is a different circuit to the main charging system.
Hope that helps
Indeed, the waistcoat is 18W, drawing just 1.5A. The jacket is a whopping 66W, drawing 5.5A.

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:08 pm

I have a Keiss heated waistcoat, regardless of how wonderful it is at heating my body core, it does nothing to heat my fingers. While the core heat theory is fine for some, others of us have heated gloves/ grips to heat fingers directly due to them getting dold due to blood circulatory issues, Raynaud's is the prime (but not only) example.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:02 pm

Bern wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:08 pm
I have a Keiss heated waistcoat, regardless of how wonderful it is at heating my body core, it does nothing to heat my fingers. While the core heat theory is fine for some, others of us have heated gloves/ grips to heat fingers directly due to them getting dold due to blood circulatory issues, Raynaud's is the prime (but not only) example.
Yep, heating the body core is the best, and first option, then deal with the extremities if necessary.

In the case of a Cub or Innova, there’s a limit to what current can be feasibly drawn to power heated accessories.

Adding Keis heated gloves/ liners to a Keis heated waistcoat draws an extra 1.6A above the 1.5A of the waistcoat itself.

Oxford heated grips draw 4A on their own, and aren’t the most effective way of warming cold hands as they are having to do it just from touch areas and through layers of glove.

Mattt
Rides:: Honda c90c Chaly CF70 Yamaha YDS5 Honda CB400n superdream

Post by Mattt » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:24 pm

Ive got the Keis jacket on my superdream,also bought the Keis plug in gloves .You can run the gloves on rechargable batteries stored in the top of the gloves and they do wires to power them off the bike as well if the electrics are up to powering both