Faulty electric starter system on Innova/ANF-125i

Anything else ya ride!
magniko
Rides:: Honda Innova ANF 125i

Faulty electric starter system on Innova/ANF-125i

Post by magniko » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm

Yesterday when driving, the electric starter suddenly engaged and wouldn’t stop no matter what. This drained the battery quickly so I stopped to check what was wrong.
After a while, I found out the following:
- plugging out the battery and removing the fuse of this thing attached below(solenoid?) stopped the electric starter from continuously engaging
- problem persisted again after re-plugging just the battery(no fuse)
- it had nothing to do with the start button(removed it, issue persisted
- this issue seems to be caused by vibrations(it sometimes stopped, but resumed after reving the bike which caused vibrations)

With this plugged out, I need to use the kickstarter. Okay not a big deal but this makes the blinkers not work properly and even kills the engine if I’m idling with blinkers.
Anyone familiar with the electrical system who knows what might be causing it and how to fix it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mraddress125!
Rides:: Suzuki address 125. Triumph Daytona 955

Re: Faulty electric starter system on Innova/ANF-125i

Post by Mraddress125! » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:33 am

It sounds like you have a sticky starter button or a sticky starter solonoid.

roadster
Rides:: CT90, CB300R, Bluroc (Dax) Heritage 125, Silence S01,Triumph Daytona 500

Re: Faulty electric starter system on Innova/ANF-125i

Post by roadster » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

From the description it sounds like the internal return spring on the main starter relay has broken or seized up. This is on the high current side of the relay and would not be affected by the starter button circuit. Any other fault would almost certainly blow a fuse because only the starter feed itself ( the heavy duty wiring) is unfused. The relay internals are probably partly melted down so its not likely to be fixable.

To allow the normal bike electrics to work ( without the electric start) you should disconnect the cable to the starter which is attached by the big nut on the relay (not the cable which goes to the battery positive) be careful not to let anything metallic touch the terminal which may remain live. For safety disconnect the battery while you are doing this.