Rides:: BMW's. / Yamaha XT125R. / R.E Hunter 350

Re: Suzuki 125 Motorcycle

Post by Bailey80808 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:01 am

125erCrazy wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:56 am
JOHNBOY wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:18 pm
whats herald
Mass produced Chinese copies home branded as herald, mash, mutt,WK bikes etc etc
I don't want to derail the topic but here (Southern Spain) I'm beginning to see a lot of these 125s, when I first saw one it was very "street scrambler" & looked really cool, a Mash I think. Other ones looking very retro or minimalist & some just plain how 125s used to be 30+ years ago.

Now they've been around a while I've noticed some are looking a bit "worse for wear" maybe a bit sooner than they should, of course this can be down to the owner being a "yoof" who doesn't care or the "it's a cheap bike innit so what's the point of looking after it". I just can't imagine what a UK winter is gonna do to one!
I wonder how much the different makes vary & if with a bit of care & fetling if one would last?

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 am

Bailey80808 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:01 am
Now they've been around a while I've noticed some are looking a bit "worse for wear" maybe a bit sooner than they should, I just can't imagine what a UK winter is gonna do to one!
I wonder how much the different makes vary & if with a bit of care & fetling
From the second hand ones I've seen they become barn find/rust bucket/dog status within eighteen months but as you say likely the captive market audience & today's yoof seeing everything as disposable.
However I think the build quality is poor full stop (I'm sure they don't cost the same coin in China :lol: ) & the RRP is upped by making them Europe standard

The large CC models 400/500cc appear to be more loved as owned by older riders and summer toys only.

To be fair like you I see the larger Mash brand around France a bit The new generation still seem to be rocking 2* 8-)

roadster
Rides:: CT90, CB300R, Bluroc (Dax) Heritage 125, Silence S01,Triumph Daytona 500

Post by roadster » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:11 am

I tend to agree with comments about Chinese stuff. The Mash I previously owned did have some poor features and needed plenty of careful maintenance to keep it looking OK. It also had very primitive ABS systems and the (spoked) alloy wheels looked good but were incredibly out of balance. Lots of minor niggles about the design too.

I've gone even cheaper now with Bluroc Heritage 125 and I could have save even more if I had bought the Skyteam bike which is exactly the same except for having a parent company based in Hongkong rather than Belgium. I really only went for the Bluroc because it was available from a local dealer. Again quite a few less than perfect design features but easily improved with some mechanical skill and an extra £150.

For a starter bike there is an argument for one of the really cheap Chinese machines especially if bought and supported locally. They will be worth practically nothing after a couple of years if not scrupulously maintained, but in terms of depreciation that isn't much different to a Japanese mainstream machine at more than twice the purchase price. Plenty of young beginners will only ride until they can get a car and will have much more interest in what they can achieve with the opposite sex than with bike maintenance!

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:25 am

roadster wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:11 am
For a starter bike there is an argument for one of the really cheap Chinese machines especially if bought and supported locally.
Music to my ears I do try and keep my business local (though I have said before if possible I won't buy Chinese made goods(nearly impossible)

I was always angry at folk on forums (most of them now binned by me) who popped along to the local dealer trying on helmet,gloves,jacket then bought online as it's cheaper but where the biggest moaners as their local bike shops all folded

Bailey80808

Post by Bailey80808 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:03 pm

I saw Mondial HPS 125 recently, wow what styling!
I'm sure it's a bit "Marmite" but I thought it looked cool. A bit more expensive than the other stuff too by the looks of it.

Bailey80808

Post by Bailey80808 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:48 pm

After a bit of a read the Mondial is a good bit more pricey & isn't the same kind of thing as the simpler Mash, Mutt etc with it being liquid cooled & better equipped....
But, as far as I can see it's again made in China though an Italian brand. Like the Benelli's, I understand again some are Chinese made including their Honda Gromesk TNT......
KTM are using CF Moto I've read.... BMW has a Chinese plant. Yamaha, Honda, OK not only China but all over the world, but still.
It'd be interesting to see what percentage of motorcycles now being sold are made in China no matter what's written on the tank! I expect it'd be a bit shocking, and the rest of them how many parts were made there.
Were gonna have "all our eggs in one basket" if we're not careful but when it comes to making profits who's the ones that care?

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:13 pm

So today I took the scenic route and rode the C125 up to CJ BALL in Norfolk as I kept missing the phone calls from Colin in Suzuki sales about the GSX125S.

Today was Colin's day off and the Honda salesman was standing in (FML) & to use the expression condescending sprung to mind & basically wanted to sell me a Honda instead.

He then had to look online disbelieving the 14000 miles a year limit claiming it was a mistake & likely covered in the small print. Confirming I was right he then phoned the admin to see if during that time the bike HAD to be serviced by a VAT registered garage.

This couldn't be done for Suzuki until purchase but was printed off for Honda on the 4000 miles per annum limit & each dealer stamp missed during the PCP agreement incurred a £50 charge :shock:

So we settled on resolving nothing and I said at the end of the day for a residual value of £1200 if I was in breach I'd pay the balance and break for spares if need be than overcharged for breaches

The downside of this deal is all the other toys would need mothballing to achieve 14K a year :lol: :lol: :lol:

One bonus was the forecourt had both the new Suzuki Address & Avenis 125 present (still no Burgman). The Address also had a demo bike (most unusual 8-) )

I had a good mooch over both models and was actually unable to decide which I would go for.
Neither has easily accessible brake resorvoirs.Both had large Burgman size seats and floorboards but didn't feel to wide once sat upon (for me at least) the address seat was flatter & minimal hump right to pillion giving more fidget room

The address was very visually Kymco from the front with a plastic chrome Vespa sprint. headlamp. The back end light cluster (imo) was fugly and could actually pass as the front end. The exhaust was traditional 'asian' market large & cheap looking.The grab rail was a complete hoop and the petrol cap accessed externally & at a better angle than the avensis but I still question ease of filling with a rack & top box fitted

The Avenis for the extra £300 :?: the mini screen seemed pointless & more a styling exercise. The lights looked more modern. The rear cluster far nicer with traditional stick out indicators like previous model 110. The rear also had a full mudguard over the wheel which would stop crap spraying up into the seat binnacle arch but may be an issue 'off road' in mud. The address only had half wheel arch. The LCD? display was also more modern & compact (Honda-ish) compared to the traditional old school address set up

May have to wait for the Burgman for a final call but value for money both seemed a winner

pete07bikes
Rides:: Honda CB125F, Royal Enfield 350 Classic, Honda AFS Wave 110

Post by pete07bikes » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:42 pm

I didn't like the small wheels on the new Suzuki Address & Avensis models - with the state of our roads, ie potholes and the like, I think larger wheels are more beneficial, have to agree regarding the back mudguard though!

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Forgot both single swing arm/rear shock so likely rear wheel removal is possible without removing exhaust.

The avenis had a lid on the small glovebox which hid the usb from the elements a huge advantage over the address bodywork mount which may allow water ingress in bad weather as the rubber cap does nothing if something is plugged in.

Both had kick start but at the end of the day its the same drive train in a slightly different wrapper

Looking over the pictures I took I'm leaning towards the avenis at present.

Suzuki limited extras (luggage rack) are eye watering prices