Honda Vision 110 Bendix which is the right one?

Anything else ya ride!
Barryd
Rides:: Honda Vision 110 Piaggio BV350

Honda Vision 110 Bendix which is the right one?

Post by Barryd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi all, new to the forum.

I have a new mechanic looking after my scooters and on the little Vision I have snapped the drive belt the other day. Its been done but the bendix pinion is apparently not withdrawing properly all the time and must be on its way out.

This is what he told me in an email.

"This part drives the crankshaft of the engine when the starter engages. When the engine starts or the starter stops the starter pinion retracts disconnecting the starter from the engine.

On your bike the starter pinion does not fully disengage from the crank. So if it partially disengages you get a metallic ticking sound of the gear teeth passing each other. If it does not disengage when the engine is running then the starter is driven along with the engine and you hear a whine sound. In this case your starter will wear out quickly.

As mentioned the unit has been cleaned as best I could but if you look at the photo it's a sealed unit"

The ones from Honda are £115 which seems steep but I have found this one on ebay and the seller assures me it will fit the UK Vision so I ordered it. The proper part number according to my mechanic is 28120-GGC-900 which is different to the MPN number on Ebay. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224697670902

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Honda Vision 110 Bendix which is the right one?

Post by wightegi » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Has you mech got the starter motor off ,so he can check the part when it comes , Scootyman is the one to ask as he knows a bit about Visions ;)

Barryd

Post by Barryd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reply

All he said is what I posted above in quotes. I dont think he took the starter motor off.

Im not very good with mechanics so I can only go on what he tells me or others advise on the forums. I know it makes a bit of a horrible Squeal when you start it up for a second and after that its fine.

I got involved as I thought £115 for a Honda Bendix seemed steep so I found that one online.

Yes. I am aware of Scootyman. It was someone on Maxi Muppets who recommended I join here because of his expertise. Hopefully he will see it.

Its a 2012 model with 21000 on the clock. Ive had it since 2015 and done most of those miles myself. Its been an absolute Gem until recently. Ill probably replace it in the Spring though.

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 pm

not me but this is the place to find out,if you did decide to get a newer one,i had a 2013 model,got mt 110 esp 22 months ago,what a difference,much better,quicker/smoother/feels less revie,and seems bigger in size, :)

Barryd

Post by Barryd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:05 pm

richie the 1st wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 pm
not me but this is the place to find out,if you did decide to get a newer one,i had a 2013 model,got mt 110 esp 22 months ago,what a difference,much better,quicker/smoother/feels less revie,and seems bigger in size, :)
I think they changed the engine slightly in 2017, bit more power and Torque.

If I get another one having seen what two or three year old Visions are up for sale for I think Ill get a brand new one with a two year warranty.

Scootyman
Rides:: Honda Vision 110esp, Honda CBF1000

Post by Scootyman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Barryd wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:18 pm
Thanks for the reply

All he said is what I posted above in quotes. I dont think he took the starter motor off.

Im not very good with mechanics so I can only go on what he tells me or others advise on the forums. I know it makes a bit of a horrible Squeal when you start it up for a second and after that its fine.

I got involved as I thought £115 for a Honda Bendix seemed steep so I found that one online.

Yes. I am aware of Scootyman. It was someone on Maxi Muppets who recommended I join here because of his expertise. Hopefully he will see it.

Its a 2012 model with 21000 on the clock. Ive had it since 2015 and done most of those miles myself. Its been an absolute Gem until recently. Ill probably replace it in the Spring though.
Your mechanics is indeed correct with the part number. I also typed in the number quoted on the eBay part into a Honda parts search and it came up with number not known. I would go back to the eBay seller and ask them to verify the part number they are quoting as it is possible that their part will fit, they are just quoting the wrong number. It might also be that it is an imported part usually for the Japanese home market or similar and the number is not recognised. Can you return the part if it doesn’t fit?

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:43 pm

The other thing to note is that there isn’t a starter motor on the Mk2 esp engined Vision from 2017 onwards. It uses an ACG system which is used as both the charging system and starter in one. It has a decompression device on the camshaft which allows the engine to turn over easier initially and not need a traditional starter motor as before.

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:48 pm

I just cross referenced that number in the picture 28120-KVB-901 and that one is the number for a starter motor for the Honda Spacy in Indonesia and Malaysia. The model is listed as NSC110SC which is basically a Honda Vision 110 here in the U.K.
There is a chance it could fit then as it also lists the SCV110, the Zoomer X and the Click 110 which all used the same engine. Personally I would check that you can return it if it’s wrong and if so, I would go for it.

Barryd

Post by Barryd » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies Scootyman. Glad I found you!!

Its on its way here now as its been dispatched. The seller is a UK seller with 100% good feedback and after I passed on my concerns he assured me that they have sold loads for early UK Visions and yes I can return it but it does stipulate it needs to be in its original packaging! So unless its blatantly obvious it wont fit then we will just have to take a gamble. The UK Honda ones according to my new mechanic are £115 so its quite a saving if it works. If it dont I guess Ill be down £145! :cry:

Will report back once I have it and he has fitted it.

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Scootyman wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:43 pm
The other thing to note is that there isn’t a starter motor on the Mk2 esp engined Vision from 2017 onwards. It uses an ACG system which is used as both the charging system and starter in one. It has a decompression device on the camshaft which allows the engine to turn over easier initially and not need a traditional starter motor as before.
yeah and its very quiet starting up.