Talk to me about ... Deauvilles (and Diversions) *edited

Anything else ya ride!
pete07bikes
Rides:: Honda CB125F, Royal Enfield 350 Classic, Honda AFS Wave 110

Re: Talk to me about ... Deauvilles

Post by pete07bikes » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi,
I ran a new in 2005 650 Deauville to commute to London & back every day - done 22,000 in 18 months and was hugely impressed with it.
As others have said just fill it up with fuel and off you go.
The exhaust is a weak point - many now replaced with after market pipes
I got 10,000 miles on back tyres and 18,000 miles on the front so, while it was heavy, it wasn't expensive on tyres.
With the hand-guards and foot guards fitted it was as weatherproof as a scooter and handled superbly.
I traded a CB500 (2003) for it and TBH didn't find the Deauville any slower

Mates used to slag it off as Dullville but I always kept pace with them

You pays your money & takes your choice

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm

sleep on it
do you rearly need it

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Ive had one or two,,, :?
BUY IT!!!!!!!!

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:17 pm

Many thanks to all that responded to my call.

I think I have covered everyone here, but let me know if not.

If you don't want to read through, TLDR= I've listened, absorbed the collective wisdom, and am still prevaricating! 8-)
wightegi wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 pm
I like them as a long distance touring bike Honda reliability and shaft drive fill with petrol and go .Has the one you are looking at got the hand and foot wind deflectors ?

Edit to add the one in the picture has not got them :(
Lower ones yes, hand ones, no. 8-)

I have educated myself on these features. they sound well liked.
125erCrazy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Recall rear brakes where an issue and needed maintainence otherwise a pig to get at.
Noted. I'll check that out (although gift horse, mouth etc. comes to mind :lol: )
cozi70 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:39 pm
Watch out for rusty down pipes, especially the front one.
Noted. As above, I'll check that out. 8-)
Diesel Dave wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:42 pm
Nope, all the weight up top and impossible to paddle backwards against a camber.

Limited luggage space and impossible to take the plastics off without breaking tabs.
That could be an issue. Part of my test of any bike is pulling it backwards up a slight slope. That's because to park it in my garage I have to reverse up the sloped kerb and front drive, then coast feet-up backwards down the rest of my drive. However, I managed it on my Electraglide and my Valkyrie so the Deauville shouldn't be too bad to handle. In fact the only one I had doubts about was a Gilera GP800 but I didn't end up buying that anyway.

(I do have a fairly amusing story about my CBR1000F and my drive but it's too long, and it's from my club days and makes me sound like a cock, so it'll wait ... for now :lol: )

The CX500 was also top heavy. I didn't notice it after a while. By the time I had my second one it was barely imperceptible.

This is a late model 650 with bigger luggage capacity (and a huge topbox assuming that is part of the deal.) When got my Electraglide I was looking forward to camping in luxury after 8+ years of taking minimal kit on my Sportster. When I opened up the right side pannier the battery was in there!

I don't think there is any dealer service history so I'll assume that there are several tabs missing already. :shock:
Bogger wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 pm
Capitano. If it's cheap just buy it. It can always be sold on if you don't like it. I've always liked them. They look a bit s*** but I think that is part of the appeal and charm. So buy it.

Bogger
That's part of their appeal to me, too. Like a bigger MZ 250 in a way. I would just buy it, but it's a bit of a personal thing (hence ridiculously cheap,) and in this case I want to be absolutely sure I am likely to keep it before I pull the trigger. 8-)
bikerbaker wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 pm
What's done is done but in hindsight I should have just got a decent NT650 as it would have done all I need.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same in foresight. ;)
cozi70 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 pm
Also deeper pannier lids are available to increase capacity over the standard shallow ones.
The later 650s had a larger luggage capacity, probably by employing the same method. I don't know for sure, but if there are even bigger aftermarket lids around, that's very useful information. 8-)
SouthendMike wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am
The guys oh the Deauville forum still rate the earlier 650 model as a good choice. Have a look on there.
Mike.
That's good advice, Mike. I will do that. 8-)
pete07bikes wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:37 pm
The exhaust is a weak point - many now replaced with after market pipes
I got 10,000 miles on back tyres and 18,000 miles on the front so, while it was heavy, it wasn't expensive on tyres.
With the hand-guards and foot guards fitted it was as weatherproof as a scooter and handled superbly.
Exhaust point noted. I have a feeling that this one is still on its standard system, in (IIRC) good condition but I will check.

The tyre life is impressive. My W800 got through a rear in 3000 miles and a front in 6000, though I did fit Contis more notable for grip than longevity.
pete07bikes wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:37 pm
Mates used to slag it off as Dullville but I always kept pace with them
That'd be nothing new. I think that sums up my last 30 years on bikes, in fact! :lol:
barker wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm
sleep on it
do you rearly need it
You obviously know me well! :lol:

I still can't answer that one. I bought the baby Burgman as a crackin' bargain and considered myself King Clever Dick getting the perfect bike for my 2020 at a silly price. Only to find that my 2020 didn't quite match up to my plans! :lol:

My fear isn't so much buying the wrong bike, it's buying a bike that won't get used and annoys me when I see it in the garage doing feck all for the next 9-10 months.

I'll maybe sleep on some more, too!
horobags wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 pm
Ive had one or two,,, :?
BUY IT!!!!!!!!
I'd been waiting for your sage advice. If you'd said, "Don't buy it!" it would have been case closed, move on. :lol:

I'm still thinking about it. Thanks again, everyone. 8-)

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Buy it load up with camping gear and I know a little old lady that will chase you down at 2:30 in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm

wightegi wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm
Buy it load up with camping gear and I know a little old lady that will chase you down at 2:30 in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
She'd chase anyone down on anything. We ought to nickname her Golden Shot. She never misses a thing!
:lol:

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 pm

I decided against the Deauville, more for personal reasons with the seller than anything to do with the bike.

I have spent some time assessing whether I really need another bike, and if so, what it should be.

Whilst I could get by with just my Cub, it makes more sense to have a second bike for certain purposes.

Ideally, this would be a late 90s to '06 (ie pre Euro 4) middleweight Japper, unfaired (so I can stick a big screen on it) or half faired (so I can fit a touring screen.) Hopefully low mileage or with a full service history.

Something like a Cb500, Divvy 6, ER5 or even a Bandit 6 (an unthrashed/ uncrashed one.)

Thanks again to everyone that contributed. Your input was appreciated.

Simply a case of great bike, great price but cr#p deal with too much baggage!

Onwards and upwards. 8-)

bart
Rides:: ST70, cg125, efi 500, Terrot etd, CM200 and Fantic tx250

Post by bart » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm

How about a a cb350s-g? Mine's cheap

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

bart wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm
How about a a cb350s-g? Mine's cheap
I like those, and if I was intending going back another decade, I would be considering it alongside 400 superdreams, CB250RSs, XS400s etc.

Not for me this time, I'm afraid, but I am puzzled as to why someone hasn't snapped it up by now.

I'm also only searching locally at the moment, as I'm in no great rush. 8-)

bart
Rides:: ST70, cg125, efi 500, Terrot etd, CM200 and Fantic tx250

Post by bart » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:33 pm

It is a puzzle to me, I thought it would have gone by now .