Innova Electrical Issue - bad earth?

Anything else ya ride!
Klank
Rides:: Honda Innova 125

Innova Electrical Issue - bad earth?

Post by Klank » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of bother with my carby Innova. The lights, most noticeably the tail light and dash lights, pulse a fair bit when the indicators are flashing. Also notice the dash lights dim when applying either brake. This happens whether the bike is running or not.

I've gone over all the connectors, double checked for corrosion in ground lines and cleaned up the ground on the regulator rectifier and also the starter.

The ground connections on the lights are clean but I even applied a dab of solder to reinforce them. I've checked the indicator relay with one known to work from another bike of mine and the problem still exists.

Battery is a strong 12.8v and the genny does it's job when running. The bike runs great and doesn't show any other issues. Lights are bright side from the pulsing.

Any suggestions? I can only think the reg rec is on its way out, if it isn't a hidden wiring problem, but would this only highlight the issue when it's running?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ta,
Keith

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Re: Innova Electrical Issue - bad earth?

Post by Bern » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Try taking a temporary wire direct from battery nuetral to indicator lamp, if that cures the pulseing then it's an earth fault somewhere

kayz1
Rides:: 1977 C70 scott nss300 & ct125

Post by kayz1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:04 pm

How much charge does the battery have and is it charging at all//?

Tranberg
Rides:: Anf125i

Post by Tranberg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm

kayz1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:04 pm
Battery is a strong 12.8v and the genny does it's job when running.

Klank

Post by Klank » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Bern wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm
Try taking a temporary wire direct from battery nuetral to indicator lamp, if that cures the pulseing then it's an earth fault somewhere
Thanks for the replies, I'll give this a go tomorrow, and double check the charging voltage. I checked this a few weeks back after replacing a weeping genny cover gasket so I'm confident it'll still be charging up ok.

Has an obnoxious exhaust fitted so don't fancy running it up at this hour. :D

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Tranberg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm
kayz1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:04 pm
Battery is a strong 12.8v and the genny does it's job when running.
What's the point of quoting ... "genny does it's job when running" ... when no figures are given to support the statement ? What we need to know is if voltage rises when engine is turning.

Diddly
Rides:: Honda ANF125 Innova;

Post by Diddly » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 am

Batteries can be no good despite being tested as I have found out in the past. Try swooping another battery if you can first to really rule it out.

Diddly

Klank

Post by Klank » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm yet to get to the bottom of this issue. Had another project taking up my time. So I took some voltage readings earlier today.

Ignition off = 12.7v
Ignition on = 12.4v
Engine running with throttle = 14.6v
Engine running with throttle and indicators flashing = fluttering between 13.6 and 14.6v

The tail light and dash lights are flashing quite badly when indicators are on, though doesn't affect the headlight, believe that's on a separate circuit.

So I done a back to back test with my other bike, which was reading around 14.5v when running and didn't change at all with indicators flashing.

Leads me to believe there's definitely something going on, but eliminating the problem is going to be tricky. The wiring is so clean and tidy that I'm thinking it could be the alternator..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith