Cheap reliable hacks.

Anything else ya ride!
Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Re: Cheap reliable hacks.

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Here's an excellent " hack " . MZ ES 250, Yanmar Diesel, electric start. Home brew CVT transmission, which works loads better than gears on a slow reving diesel, pretty brisk up to 50mph, and tops out around 60, 200 mpg ish.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 pm

And the trophy goes to........

remmington
Rides:: Honda Wave 110i BMW R80RT

Post by remmington » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 pm

I am interested in this "hack thread"...

I only use a motorbike for transport to work and running errands and have done for 36years...

Earnest Thrasher
Rides:: Honda Super Cub C125

Post by Earnest Thrasher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm

I always had a Cub as a workshop hack, because everyone could ride it, apart from regular oil changes, and routine maintenance, the only time it ever got stripped was to replace burnt out exhaust valves, as it only had one throttle position, nailed. Even that didn't take that long. I bought a new T140 Bonneville in 1978. It was the worst bike I ever owned. It took 6000miles to get all problems sorted out (three sets of carbs, exploding alternators, misaligned primary drive etc etc) while this was going on a CD 175 did all that was required, it got replaced by another famous hack, a Panther 120, which I did well in excess of 100k on, without any major problems. Only two breakdowns which left me stranded, broke a primary chain once, and sheared the mag drive another time. I sold it when they started getting valuable, thats when I tend to lose interest. I wonder if the Purple Helmets caused the same decrease in availability of Cubs, as the Dukes of Hazard did with Dodge Chargers ? :lol:

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 am

Earnest Thrasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm
I wonder if the Purple Helmets caused the same decrease in availability of Cubs, as the Dukes of Hazard did with Dodge Chargers ? :lol:
Undoubtedly! I could relate the economics behind it but everyone would be bored by me ... again! :lol:

A certain semi-famous motorcycle adventurer, whose fame came from him using an old Cub for his adventures, was recently moaning about how you couldn't get a used Cub for £150 any longer.

I explained the simple theory of supply and demand to him, and how exposure of Cubs as adventure vehicles added to the demand.

ie he was responsible for the very thing he was complaining about! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still don't think that he saw the irony in it. I wonder if he ever did send Mr Bogger the DVD he promised. 8-)

Mattt
Rides:: Honda c90c Chaly CF70 Yamaha YDS5 Honda CB400n superdream

Post by Mattt » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Well someone mentioned nothing decent under a grand ,i bought a Sv650 gen1 as it was only a few doors away,as a cheap hack ,22k ,not been used for 18mths
Put tyres and caliper kits ,pads and fork seals on it ,its had a geniune generator and rectifier a year ago
Put 12mths mot,insured and rode it a bit,cant get on with the forward leaning ,although its getting bit better each week

Stuck it on a few sites,not ebay yet for £950,it needs nothing doing ,not sold ,few people keep asking via messanger is it still available, i reply yes ,and hear nothing back,this has happened about 5 times .

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:08 am

Mattt wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:51 pm
Well someone mentioned nothing decent under a grand ,i bought a Sv650 gen1 as it was only a few doors away,as a cheap hack ,22k ,not been used for 18mths
Put tyres and caliper kits ,pads and fork seals on it ,its had a geniune generator and rectifier a year ago
Put 12mths mot,insured and rode it a bit,cant get on with the forward leaning ,although its getting bit better each week

Stuck it on a few sites,not ebay yet for £950,it needs nothing doing ,not sold ,few people keep asking via messanger is it still available, i reply yes ,and hear nothing back,this has happened about 5 times .
Much the same experience here, my son and I bought a K1 SV650S in 2013 for £950, for him to use when he passed his test which he did but in Oz. About the same mileage it has had a starter rebuild, tyres, battery and last year a rear caliper. It's been used every now and again locally as well as a few trips up North and I reckon the seat is more comfortable than the K6 over long distances. It's not worth much so not bothered to consider selling it. I did think I might put some straight bars on it as I've ridden a naked k6 and liked it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the rear brake is too efficient and needs care at low speed as it will lock very easily. It's a twin pot and is shared with the Hayabusa, the K6 has a single pot floater.

A local friend also has a K1 and a K7 SV1000 and prefers the 650 as the 1000 is not that much quicker and is not as nimble.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:49 am

Capitano wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 am
Earnest Thrasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm
I wonder if the Purple Helmets caused the same decrease in availability of Cubs, as the Dukes of Hazard did with Dodge Chargers ? :lol:
Undoubtedly! I could relate the economics behind it but everyone would be bored by me ... again! :lol:

A certain semi-famous motorcycle adventurer, whose fame came from him using an old Cub for his adventures, was recently moaning about how you couldn't get a used Cub for £150 any longer.

I explained the simple theory of supply and demand to him, and how exposure of Cubs as adventure vehicles added to the demand.

ie he was responsible for the very thing he was complaining about! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still don't think that he saw the irony in it. I wonder if he ever did send Mr Bogger the DVD he promised. 8-)
Like hell he did.

Bogger :x

Mattt
Rides:: Honda c90c Chaly CF70 Yamaha YDS5 Honda CB400n superdream

Post by Mattt » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Ive bought a hornet 900 as a cheap replacement for the Sv650,bit more upright with low Rentalls ,small screen and lots of new bits,pretty low mileage ,im going to commute once a week and get some soft luggage for the next trip abroad on it .Its touted as a do it all machine
Almost went down the HP route on a new MT07 with 2.9% finance ,but new bikes are too much money these days for the amount I currently get to ride.

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 am

For financial efficiency I'm not sure I've ever managed to beat the Lexmoto Gladiator that I spent a fair chunk of my 20s blatting about on - mechanically it was pretty bombproof but I did have to do the occasional bit of preventative repair to stop other bits disintegrating. Bits for it were so cheap though... 13" tyres, seperate muffler and exhaust... it was just so damn functional. It cost £180, I rode it for four years and was my only transport at that time.