Vision 110 - LED spot light upgrade.

Anything else ya ride!
Wuyang
Rides:: None at present

Re: Honda Vision 110 LED spot light upgrade.

Post by Wuyang » Tue May 26, 2020 8:17 am

Scootyman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 am
Wayang,

If you are referring to the OSRAM LEDriving H4 bulb, yes I am currently using that bulb. Before I had a generation of the Philips Luxeon ZES H4 bulb which also was a good bulb. That particular LED consumed 25 watts of power so just under an amp less power consumption than a stock HS1 headlamp bulb.

The OSRAM bulb that I believe is the one in Halfords, whilst it’s not cheap, it is very good. Power consumption is down to just 14 watts and the beam pattern cut off is excellent in the Vision 110 lens. I’ve just signed up for Postimage although I haven’t used it yet but as chance would have it I also have a spare OSRAM bulb in the garage along with a spare Vision headlamp lens. If you would like to see a picture of the Beam pattern I could try after dark and see if the iPhone makes a good picture.

In my opinion, the OSRAM isn’t quite as bright as the Philips ZES but the beam pattern is a little better and the light is more ‘usable’. The beam pattern is slightly cleaner shall we say. The other clear advantage of the OSRAM bulb is that the little in line resistor box (I think that’s what it is) is built into the back of the bulb and there is no fan to worry about. It fits into quite a tight space without issue.
If you have an SH, I think they have a 55/60watt bulb and every scooter and bike I have had with a proper H4 bulb had fairly good lighting so would it be better? It’s a tough call.

I will make you an offer. If you want to try an OSRAM LEDriving H4 bulb before you purchase, I will post you my spare bulb. My only condition is, I expect you to be a gentleman and return it in the post when you have finished testing with it.

My last Philips bulb is still going strong by the way after 3 years in my workmates Vision. He commutes from Douglas in Lanarkshire across to Edinburgh every day when not in lockdown and he rates the LED bulbs highly. He tried the cheapie ones and gave up as they are just that. Cheap and unrefined. If you are going to buy an LED kit, you’ll need to spend a bit to get the research and technology that makes them decent (in my opinion).

If you decide to purchase the OSRAM, let me know the price as I had a link somewhere to where I purchased mine and I think it was a bit cheaper.
Hope that helps
Scoots
Hi Scootyman,

Thanks for the update,,,,,I really appreciate your offers that’s really nice of you, but I think I will treat myself one sometime in the near future.....I’m sure I’ll be happy with it.
Every time I read your posts I get tempted with buying an Vision, I loved my mates it was just the uphill struggle that put me off at the time. The new esp one you have really sounds up to the job.
Good luck with your vision missions
Wuyang

Edited at Wuyang`s request wightegi
Last edited by Capitano on Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

50spence
Rides:: aspire to ride Honda Vision 110

Re: Honda Vision 110 LED spot light upgrade.

Post by 50spence » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 am

I'll be receiving my 2018 Honda Vision 110 in a week or so, and will be interested in doing some upgrades, perhaps to lighting too in preparation for the winter months.

However just curious about the legality over LED headlight bulbs such as the OSRAM LEDriving® HL Gen2, ≜H4, as sold on Amazon.

In the legal description it reads...
Legal statement
These products are not ECE approved. This means they cannot be used on public roads if installed in external applications. Use on public roads involves the withdrawal of the circulation card and the loss of insurance coverage. In many countries it is not permitted to sell and use these products. Contact your local distributor for availability information in your country.

I presume this would also mean it wouldn't get through an MOT.

Can you advise on this?

Thanks.
Scootyman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:12 pm
50spence wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:16 pm
Hey Scootyman,

I've been pining over a Honda Vision 110 for about a year....finally persuade my wife that a scoot for commuting around Edinburgh wouldn't actually kill me (I currently cycle but not getting any easier as I get older!). I'm hoping to get the CBT done this spring. Been watching Visions for sale on autotrader, but not much available up here in Scotland. Could I ask where you got yours and how was the experience?

Like your YT videos (which I love btw), I'd plan to put a Givi screen and topbox on it, and maybe mod the lamps to convert to LED...though I'll only be scooting around Edinburgh city as I live in a wee estate just off the bypass, so maybe won't need the conversion. Also, what winter tyres do you use?

Thanks,
James
Hi James,
I too commute into Edinburgh everyday to work from just west of Dunfermline, about 23 miles each way across the Forth road bridge and mine is fine. I’m on my second esp engined Vision as the first was written off by a tailgater waiting at the lights to go up Drum Brae. I bought mine from Castle Motors in Castleford. My second cost me around £1800 on a pre-reg deal and delivery was around £100 I think. The first one came from Dobles and it was the first esp engined Vision to be registered (RIP) in December 2016.
Maybe you should drop me a PM, leave me a number and have a chat sometime as I have all sorts of goodies and info on the Vision 110. For the record though I use IRC winter tyres. I use an SN23 on the front and an SN26 on the rear in standard sizes. (Google Tyreleader)
I do have much research and projects happening in the background at present. I’m currently trialling a new 14watt LED H4 bulb made by OSRAM which I see you can now buy in Halfords and it’s excellent. No more ballast to find a space for as it’s built into the bulb itself. I am also looking closely at Heidenau tyres in different sizes for winter and I am currently talking to a company in Germany about a 130cc cylinder and piston kit which is a modded Honda barrel and piston. (Needs a larger injector and fuel modding but that’s not a problem)
I also have recently gained access to Honda MARIS and downloaded in paper form most of the official workshop manual for this model and I have a diagnostic lead to connect to the scooter and obtain any fault codes should the need arise.
If you want to contact me then feel free. Another friend of mine at work has a Vision also but he paid more at Two Wheels Honda (much more!). Because we have a spare engine for this scooter, any problems and we can scavenge parts so your welcome to PM and have a chat if you like.
Best regards
Scoots
P.s Two wheels Honda were excellent when I made a warranty claim recently. No questions about service history or anything. Just fixed it in two days and all good. If you’re wondering what was wrong, it was just an engine sensor which is nothing big and rare to go bad. I have now covered around 25,000 miles on Vision’s and I’m still happy with mine.

Scootyman
Rides:: Honda Vision 110esp, Honda CBF1000

Re: Vision 110 - LED spot light upgrade.

Post by Scootyman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm

I believe, somewhere on the CBF1000 forum this was recently discussed. Apparently the law has now changed and I can also testify that my Vision 110 recently passed an MOT with my OSRAM LEDriving fitted. It’s a particularly good bulb to go for if you decide to upgrade because it doesn’t have a separate ballast resistor to find a place for and fits nicely behind the cover without issue. The beam pattern has a nice cut off and doesn’t dazzle others like some of the cheaper ones.
I have since added a set of Rigid industries ignite spots to the front of my vision also and that has helped no end with visibility.
I wish I’d known sooner that you were still after a Vision 110. A workmate of mine is just selling his 2018 plate for sensible money and I have maintained that from nearly new when he first got it.

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm

By the way,
Just for the record and to cover the other points we were discussing,
I didn’t like the Heidenau tyres and the 130cc kit is a waiting for stock item. It’s not going into my commuter bike, it was more of a bit of fun between friends to see if we could get the Vision 110 a bit faster.
The Kitaco exhaust and bigger throttle body worked out well.
Best regards

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Scootyman wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm
Apparently the law has now changed
The relavant update is here >>>>>>>>> https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions

50spence

Post by 50spence » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks Scootyman,

Good to see that sensible update on the law.

I think I got a good deal on mine...£1800 with 700 miles on the clock for an 18 plate, from Two Wheels, and it comes with Oxford heated grips. It'll arrived as soon as the back door of my garage gets a new lock on it!

Re upgrades, I'll firstly get a top box.... Thinking the Givi e370 if it's not too big looking, simply because I can put the led upgrade kit in it, and perhaps the Puig Trafic windscreen. As we get closer to winter I'll look at the head lamp upgrade. What lamps did you upgrade to for the side light and rear brake lamp? I don't think I'll attempt anything as fancy as your spots though they look amazing.

I'll also need to think about tyres.... Currently just got the standard tyres, but was thinking about the City Grips. My commuting will be within Edinburgh city centre most of the time.

Thanks for all the advice!

James
Scootyman wrote:
I believe, somewhere on the CBF1000 forum this was recently discussed. Apparently the law has now changed and I can also testify that my Vision 110 recently passed an MOT with my OSRAM LEDriving fitted. It’s a particularly good bulb to go for if you decide to upgrade because it doesn’t have a separate ballast resistor to find a place for and fits nicely behind the cover without issue. The beam pattern has a nice cut off and doesn’t dazzle others like some of the cheaper ones.
I have since added a set of Rigid industries ignite spots to the front of my vision also and that has helped no end with visibility.
I wish I’d known sooner that you were still after a Vision 110. A workmate of mine is just selling his 2018 plate for sensible money and I have maintained that from nearly new when he first got it.

50spence

Post by 50spence » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm

This is super helpful. Thanks :)

I presume upgrading to LED lights does nothing to insurance validity either?
Bern wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:35 pm
Scootyman wrote:
The relavant update is here >>>>>>>>> https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions

Bern
Rides:: Virago 535 & Innova 125 (injection) & 1962 Ariel Leader

Post by Bern » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm

50spence wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm
This is super helpful. Thanks :)

I presume upgrading to LED lights does nothing to insurance validity either?
Bern wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:35 pm
Scootyman wrote:
Tricky one that, just because it's legally allowed does not necessarily mean that an insurance company will accept it in a basic policy, as anything that is not in the original manufacturers specification is deemed by default to be a modification, non declaration of a modification could see you devoid of insurance.
In all honesty I can't see them increasing the premium for a simple light upgrade, but always best to tell them

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I’ve not had a problem in 25,000 miles of commuting on the Vision over the past 3 years. If you have an accident and your still alive, switch it out before the assessor comes and no one will know 🤫
(Excuse my morbid and warped humour)

50spence

Post by 50spence » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Cool. Do you find the rear stop/tail light LED lamp is a good improvement on brightness or not worth it really?

Amazing number of miles over the Firth of forth! Can't be many commute to Edinburgh on a 110cc scooter!