Vision 110 - LED spot light upgrade.

Anything else ya ride!
Scootyman
Rides:: Honda Vision 110esp, Honda CBF1000

Vision 110 - LED spot light upgrade.

Post by Scootyman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Hello all,
I thought I’d start a new thread on my new Vision I just bought due to the last one being killed by a rear end impact from a Vauxhall Insignia. I have been posting on the Vision 110 uphill topic but didn’t think it fair to keep posting there as although it’s a Vision it’s a little off topic which was originally about uphill performance.

If you have been following the other topic you will know that I commute to work on my Vision and I have been adding a few accessories to make my journey a little more comfortable. So far I have added a Givi tall screen (riot shield), some heated grips which I need to finish off tomorrow and a lead which provides power under the seat for a heated vest. I have built a power loom around a connector block to keep the wiring neat and tidy which has a main fuse and a separate additional fuse for every connection.

It is divided into four sections for permanent live, switched live via a relay, a connection point for the LED lights and a grounding point.
Tonight I drilled some holes in the side panels to mount the lights :shock:

It was a little nerve wracking drilling a new scoot but after much measuring and head scratching it went well.

A few penny washers and some neoprene washers for shock absorption made a nice solid mounting point

The lights are made by Rigid Industries and the model is named Ignite. They are a spot pattern and should do a good job of boosting visibility as well as improving on the stock headlamp

I have wired them via the relay on a switched live and they have a separate on/off switch which I have mounted on a panel below the handlebars.

Not a great picture I know as the scoot is still in bits but a little idea of how they look compared to the standard headlight bulb after dark.

I posted this up as I thought these lights might be of interest to Cub owners. The lights are very light and compact and only draw .85 of an amp each yet throw out an immense amount of light for their size. With the heated grips on full power and these lights on, I am still getting 14.2 volts charging voltage at just above idle so I shouldn’t have any problems with flat batteries in future.
I hope this may be of interest to someone and if anyone wants help doing similar you are welcome to send me a message.
Best regards
Scoots
Last edited by Capitano on Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vision 110 ID

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Re: Honda Vision 110 LED spot light upgrade.

Post by horobags » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 am

exellent job, great improvement.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 am

Well done. However, I didn't realise that you shared a garage with Diesel Dave.

Bogger

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:43 am

Bogger wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 am
Well done. However, I didn't realise that you shared a garage with Diesel Dave.

Bogger
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve just been out in the garage looking for the superglue that I took out there last night and as it would happen I just spent half an hour having a clear up. I can see the top of my bench now. It’s amazing :?
Whilst the Rigid industries lights aren’t cheap, you really do get what you pay for and they do a great job of lighting up the dark lanes. I didn’t buy the motorcycle kit with the hi low switch, I purchased the lights separately and made the loom needed for the bike to save all the excess cable and also it saved me £70 on the price. The two lights were £120.00 and I spent about £70.00 on a website named 12 volt planet buying the cable, switches, crimps, terminal blocks etc.
I’m not plugging them by the way. They are really good guys to know if you want to put a project together and there is a knowledge section that explains stuff like wire sizing, relays etc.
Once the cover is back on I’ll take a couple more photos to show you the size on the scoot. Next I have to finish the install of the heated grips and hot glue gun the back of the switch in place as it seems to turn in the hole.

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 pm

So at last my new commuter is finished. I’m waiting on a pair of Osram W5W LED side light bulbs and I need to fit an LED rear stop/tail lamp but all the other work is done.

I took the time to reduce the hot grips loom as it was far too long and I have found in the past that too much cable moving around causes connection problems. I also cut off the incredibly poor connector plugs supplied and crimped some quality bullet connectors in their place. I always cable tie the grip wires off before the connection to save the steering moving the loom around. Again this saves troubles later.

The power block is now fully populated and the heated grip cables sit over the top. In the top right corner is both switches for the LED lights and the hot grips. I used a hot glue gun to lock the switch in position as it turns around with all that wiring hanging off the back.

The switches from the back installed into the panel.

and how they look from the front

The voltmeter sits on the right side of the speedometer and doubles as a clock.

I also forgot to mention that I fitted an LED headlight upgrade which only consumes 25 watts. I had it in my old Vision 110 and it was great so the lighting should now be amazing with the added spot lights.
That should get me seen and keep me moving trouble free for at least a couple of years I would hope.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 pm

are you going to do a you-tube vid??, it deserves one. ;)

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 pm

horobags wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 pm
are you going to do a you-tube vid??, it deserves one. ;)
Yes I will do a YouTube video. I would like to get back into doing them again as I enjoy doing stuff like this. Once my house is finished (I have a long long way to go) I’m hoping to get back to doing regular YouTube videos again but I will dig out my GoPro and go find a spot to record. I really want to get a cub again in the future and now that I’m living in Scotland. I won’t have a two day trek to get here before I start my travels.

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Just a quick update for anyone interested about the upgrades I have done and considering for themselves. The spotlights are ......amazing! You seriously would not need your headlights on with these lights. I have the offside one pointed to the centre of the road in front of me where there is a dark patch so as not to dazzle other road users and the near side light is pointed up the curb slightly. The spread of light is fairly tight so it’s not like a flood lamp however they are incredibly bright and if I didn’t turn them away slightly, they would dazzle in fact they would probably burn eyeballs out of sockets :lol:
I have now changed my stop/tail lamp, side lights and headlight to LED bulbs and that’s saving me around 22 watts of power or just under 2 amps putting it another way. That’s about enough to help the charging system cope well with the added goodies and I am charging at a healthy rate both on idle and at raised engine speed. Hopefully after the accident I can now get back to commuting in peace without another insignia up the back of the scoot.

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:45 am

I put spotlights on my Address 110 - I'll see if I can find the images this evening.

I wired mine via a DPDT switch (hidden away) from the high beam, so that when it came to MOT time they mysteriously didn't work anymore :D

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am

If you read the whole thing from the beginning the answer is there ;)