Projects are like buses......Enfields

Anything else ya ride!
bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Projects are like busses......Enfields

Post by bikerbaker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 pm

As my old grandpa would say 'Don't throw 'owt away - maybe useful some day'.
Same as my Dad. Well apart from 'owt as he was Essex through and through. Definitely the reason I have so much stuff and spend all my time trying to find "Oh I've got one of those" things. :lol:

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 pm

It's alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vq4ORsH6Dk

Don't ask me to do any of that embed crap 'cos it never works....

You need to put the Utube linky in the utube box ,last option on the right ;)
wightegi

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Crikey - never worked for me before...

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Well the weather held off today so I swapped out the ally MIG wire for the usual stuff and swapped over the gas to an old CO2 fire extinguisher (yes I'm a cheapskate).

So, behold we have an exhaust...

This is only a temporary version as my christmas prezzie will be a proper stainless custom version from the local firm that makes them for 24hr racers and other exotica (if you have to ask how much then you cannot afford it).

So despite the fact there are probably 1000 small refinements that need doing - it's actually ready for an MOT - if I get a yellow number plate!

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Testing began today... first problem is getting the cooling system to bleed all the air out as the radiator is lower than the top hose.

I ended up strapping on a 'burp bottle' so it can suck back in expelled coolant as the trapped air expands. Note the classy cable end for the engine stop cable.

Second problem is the clutch is not releasing properly, it still works but causes the gearshift to be temperamental. I did notice this during the build but put it on the 'to-do' list for later attention.

Oh and the centre stand outrigger hits the silencer so the stand doesn't retract fully - that's what you get for making up the exhaust with the bike on the centre stand. DOH! :oops:

But the bike does run well although the idle is a tad low - this happened after the flywheel was lightened. Interestingly the idle speeds up if I switch off the electrics as the alternator drag lessens.

Onwards and upwards.

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

Well she certainly runs well and romps up to about 65 before the regulator limit is reached; handling and balance seem ‘neutral’ and the new style disk brake works very well although feels a bit ‘wooden’.

Niggle list is being started.

There is too much twist needed on the throttle so you need to take 2 bites at it to reach full speed. On a diesel with a regulator if you only open the throttle half way you only get half revs, a bit like a ships telegraph - it’s more a request for revolutions than a petrol motor throttle. There were 2 positions for the cable attachment so I’ve moved to the inner one so we shall see how this works out.

The primary case is proving too oil tight so it’s building up a puddle in the bottom, this is a problem because I don’t want oil being flung into the starter motor. I’ll cut down the feed rate and drill another drain hole at the lowest point.

Lights are on all the time - there is a back feed to the circuit from somewhere.

Need to fit an air bleed to the top hose, also the coolant needs flushing as the distilled water I used from the dehumidifier has instantly turned into rusty mud.

New fan belt needed, the one I bought is 5mm too short so the next appropriate size is from a classic Mini - at least it should be easier to source in future. The fan belt is also rubbing the copper piping that feeds water to the pump.

Onwards and upwards

allspeed

Post by allspeed » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Excellent read Dave

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:43 pm

Well it’s good to be back home after travelling to see family over the Christmas period.

I’ve fitted the top hose air bleed after initially ordering the wrong size (memory failure, I thought it was 28mm but in fact it was 25mm).

The Mini fan belt arrived and fitted although this is right at the limit of adjustment, I put a dent in the water pipe to clear the belt - a simple fix).

Today the bike has gone to the exhaust makers for my Christmas present - a custom stainless job. hopefully it will be ready by the end of the week as it’s booked in for an MOT next Tues.

So in absence of bike stuff to do I’ve spent the day fixing the central heating as the feeder tank ball valve wasn’t sealing and so it was dribbling from the overflow. It was just crusted up with calcium from the hard water so it took a dip in the de-rusting acid tank. After a good fizzling and a bit of brute force it was functional once more. My grandpa always said an engineer was someone who could do something for ten Bob that any idiot could do for a quid.....

JOHNBOY
Rides:: HONDA SUZUKI

Post by JOHNBOY » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm

what solution is in the de rusting tank dd

Diesel Dave

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am

It’s just cheepo citric acid.

It’s in a small water butt which is a useful shape for long items and has a tap on the bottom in case I need to draw some off.