Peugeot Vox

Anything else ya ride!
gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Re: Peugeot Vox

Post by gtd65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 am

Talking about the money factor being a primary motivation reminds me of the USA.

When I first lived in the USA I was often told by local pals that person x would be able to do whatever it was that you needed for a certain sum of money.
This is very different to my experience of life in Scotland where we usually help each other out without any payment and the favour is usually returned at some point in the future.

That said, there are people back home who operate the American way and expect that you can do whatever for them at no cost whatsoever.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me as the Americans say.

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 am

I miss the small town feel and sense of community that mainstream materialistic culture seems to be erasing. It's why this little place is honestly my favourite forum to be a part of, it feels like the small community I grew up in where people weren't concerned only with themselves, it was about helping each other out and doing things for the love of that community and caring for each other.

Re: the U.S., I don't miss it at all, although granted I did live in one of the most hedonistic places (Los Angeles) in the country and I suspect the feel would be different in smaller sleepy towns.

Re: Japanese are a weird bunch of people, at least those in the business world. Truth be told, I really don't like a lot of modern Japanese culture and am much more at home with the real social harmony aspect of it, rather than the "don't offend anyone" b.s. that has propagated to silence everyone into heavily censored robots. Of course there are a lot of things I miss about Japan itself, but the people and atmosphere is generally not one of those things.

In terms of SE Asia, Vietnam can be brutal just like mainland China (I've never been to Hong Kong) as that same kind of culture is obviously prevalent. There are of course good places here and there, and fixed price markets are skyrocketing in popularity (no surprise) so things are turning around, and OEM parts are nice in a way because all prices are posted at the dealer.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this :lol: Either or, Vietnam is an interesting place for sure and there are a lot of good things about it, no doubt. I even feel "home" here at times because it reminds me somewhat of Japan (where I'm from), much more than the U.S. ever did, but as with all things, there's good and bad. For me the spiriutal bad outweigh the good, so I doubt I'll make home here in the long term. Maybe I'll make a trip to Scotland eh? :)

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 am

The small town feel is one of the aspects of living in Scotland that I really appreciate after living abroad so regularly. I live in a village of less than 1000 people, including the surrounding farms.
I’ve got great pals that would do anything to help you out and the same is reciprocated.

Unfortunately, as the years go by, more incomers arrive and the feel of the place changes. It’s still a great place to live as far as I’m concerned.
I’ve never been one of those people who seeks anonymity in the big city, I know many people want that type of life.

Back in the day, when I was living in Hong Kong, my GF wanted to come over with me, during the Xmas and New Year break. She had allsorts of ideas about “power shopping” in London and Paris and I was having none of it. I did say that if she wanted to spend the two weeks shopping then that would be her choice but I wouldn’t be with her during that time, I’d be catching up with my pals back home. She wasn’t looking forward to that by any stretch of the imagination!

Before the trip, Vivienne was looking like her cute little nose was well and truly out of joint with the prospect of spending time in a “boring Scottish village” with nothing to do!

If I said Viv was somewhat discriminatory in her outlook, that may well be an understatement but that’s not unusual for Asians, as a sweeping generalization. She was fully anticipating the local “white trash” to be “racist” towards her during her stay. I just smiled quietly and let her have her pre-conceived thoughts. I thought it was quite ironic, based on her own outlook!

We eventually went from a fairly homogenous area of Scotland, where people enquired where she came from, enquiring about her opinion of being in Scotland and she actually felt quite “special”.

Viv was pleased but was looking also forward to seeing the sights in multi-ethnic London. We had a generally good time overall but dark clouds were hanging over Viv due to various non-white groups looking at her with “their hateful eyes” and being “very rude and unfriendly”. She wailed that she thought that as she was not a “white trash racist” these people would be “very friendly and polite” towards her. Alas, this was not her experience and she was so pleased to be back up North will all of the polite and friendly local “racists” lol. I’m not sure what the problem was, I didn’t have any trouble at all!

Viv eventually went to University in Newcastle and can even speak with a Geordie accent for fun! These days she lives and works in London, it’s amazing how she changed over the years from being a daft little lass to a very well-balanced woman. She is actually fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese & English too.

I can’t stand PC behavior at all. There’s no need to be disrespectful of others but it is certainly a bind at how far it’s being pushed these days. One of my colleagues here is a Korean-Canadian. He makes me laugh with some of the stuff that he comes out with. I’ll not say too much but Koreans are generally quite discriminating in their outlook!

I’ve lived in California as well, but up in the East Bay area. Have to say I quite liked it there but the cost of living and traffic was pretty bad!
I went on my trip to Japan with Viv, which was very handy due to her language skills. I think the only time we were a bit confused was looking at a railway map!

I can confirm that no matter where we are heading now, it’s far removed from talking about the Peugeot Vox!

If you do make it to Scotland, I have spare rooms!

AE86

Post by AE86 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

gtd65 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 am
I can confirm that no matter where we are heading now, it’s far removed from talking about the Peugeot Vox!
I was trying to figure a way to recentre the discussion on the Pug, but no joy. :lol: I have been looking at trying to get me a Peugeot Jet Force over here but bloody government and import regs are so stifling that I've given up. I miss the vareity of the west, Asia is so homogeneous it gets really boring at times. Sounds funny, but I'd do almost anything to get a weird bike over here...

I have to say (getting back on topic :mrgreen:) that I've always been apprehensive about going to the U.K. on vacation (mum's half English, I've never been as I was born overseas) because I'm brown skinned. I'm sure the hate crimes are blown way out of proportion on the news, and in a way I tend to think minorities have it better because they're often so pandered to...I probably shouldn't be worried. I have been treated very well by almost all the white people I know, while the Asians have been the most judgemental and racist coincidentally.

One last question, I've heard from a few travelling Scots that Scotland has been getting rougher to live in, some even worried about going outside without their mates after 6-7 PM because of "chavs" wandering about looking for trouble. I would assume it's a bit different in small towns, but just wanted to hear your take on it.

Also, we can continue the conversation in PM to keep the thread less derailed than it already is.

So to keep it on topic now...

Is the Vox based on the new Honda motor with 3 bolts to the frame, or is it the Cub motor with the "traditional" 2 bolts?

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Have to say that I’m not too sure about the Vox engine but my understanding is that it’s simply a Chinese made bike, along the lines of the Loncin?

I’ve no worries about being out and about in Scotland at all really. I’m sure there are dodgy places of course but from my estimation most of the really dire places have cleaned up significantly from what they used to be like back in the 80’s etc. I could well be out of touch of course! :mrgreen:

I always found there was more of a threat back home (for some sort of altercation) than in many places I’d been to but that normally changes with age.

I used to consider HK to be the safest place I’ve ever lived but the locals would be worried about certain places. I lived in Tuen Mun which is/was supposedly a major Triad area. I’d be coming back from a night out at 3am and the local triad lads would be sitting around in the public areas, smoking and rolling up their t-shirts to show off their generally small but toned biceps! They always said hello when I encountered them. In the UK, the same scenario would likely be very different! I’ve watched rival triad gangs fight, you really wouldn’t want to be in the middle of the massed cleavers, knives and pieces of two by two!

Right now I’m in Johannesburg and you’d have to be somewhat daft to consider walking in the streets after dark, especially as a non-black person.

It’s such a shame it’s like that here as the people in general are really nice and friendly. It’s usually dark for me going to and from work (it’s winter here) and it’s amazing how many black Africans wander about in the dimly lit streets wearing dark clothing. You really have to pay attention while driving in the dark, unless you fancy the idea of some poor soul coming through your windscreen!

I do think the media has a lot to blame for reporting of crimes in these overly PC times. I happened to see a video on Facebook last night of some Nigerian chap getting dragged off a train in Germany because he hadn’t bought a ticket. The usual accusations of "racism" were all over the place, despite many comments saying they’d seen the same thing with white Germans but that was never posted on Facebook to make a point about “racism”.

I can say with certainty that when I used to live in Germany and it kicked off between the German Skinheads and the local Turks, the Polizei were always cracking the skulls of the Skinheads, rather than the Turks for some reason, although both sides were to blame.

My 7 year old son is also half Asian, funnily enough, he generally identifies as being a “white” American kid but he looks very mixed. Then again, if you put him next to a fully Asian kid you can see why. He never had any issues playing with local kids during his visits to Scotland whatsoever.

His mum also enjoys visiting Scotland too, she's never mentioned any kind of discrimination that I'm aware of.

AE86

Post by AE86 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Your description of HK sounds like Japan to me. I have no reservations walking from the train station to my bike at 2AM, or simply walking home for that matter at any time of the night, I remember once I had a puncture at 1 in the morning, pushed my bike home for an hour through the "red district" I lived by. Only thing I got were a few solicitations from "companions" but no threat to my actual safety. Can't do that in Vietnam though! You'd be daft to go anywhere alone on a dark street, armed or not.

Well, Scotland sounds like what I actually imagined. I will have to visit someday whenever the dream of being able to travel can be realised for me, which I suspect will be when I hit old age so things might change by then. Thank you for the insights, it's nice to hear about the "homeland" I've never been to from others.

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm

AE86 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

Is the Vox based on the new Honda motor with 3 bolts to the frame, or is it the Cub motor with the "traditional" 2 bolts?
Dunno about bolt holes but i'm pretty sure the Vox has the twin clutch motor.

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 pm

stevew wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm
AE86 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

Dunno about bolt holes but i'm pretty sure the Vox has the twin clutch motor.
Twin clutch motor, from secondhand engines listed on Ebay they do look like the cub two bolt pattern

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am

Vox's were made originally by Quingi motor I believe, they use fairly standard motors for most of what they have produced so I wouldn't personally be too worried - a Cub or Lifan engine should be fine.

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:16 am

I spotted a Vox on Gumtree up the road from me in Scotland.

Any weak spots on them at all that need particular attention?

This one has around 5000 miles on it.