Vision 110 - up hill speed

Anything else ya ride!
horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Re: Honda vision 110cc up hill speed

Post by horobags » Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am

If the alt/f sorts the mixture out sounds like a good job done, the uphill increase sounds impressive for 108 CC.

Scootyman
Rides:: Honda Vision 110esp, Honda CBF1000

Post by Scootyman » Fri May 22, 2020 11:27 am

horobags wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am
If the alt/f sorts the mixture out sounds like a good job done, the uphill increase sounds impressive for 108 CC.
I think it is when you consider I weigh around 115kgs at present. I’m hoping the Altitude function will help. It probably didn’t help that I filled the tank up with Shell V power which I think is 99 RON as opposed to normal at 95 RON.

Does anyone know if that’s correct? Higher Octane fuel would make the engine run richer would it not?

Anyway, I shall give it a try today and report back for others. I’m not claiming that the Vision has turned into a Fireblade eating commuter scooter. Simply that it is most definitely more responsive and appears to have a little more in the midrange than it did before. I shall try and rig up my makeshift A/F ratio meter today and have a look at what’s going on when I’m playing with the Altitude setting.
Have a good day all and keep safe.

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Sun May 24, 2020 11:38 am

Ok so after some testing, results are moving in the right direction.

I tried two further setups.

24mm throttle body, 120cc injector, air box restriction removed and altitude mode 3.

Original 22mm throttle body, 120cc injector (original injector has flow rate of 90cc), airbox restriction removed, altitude modes 1 & 3 (altitude mode 1 is standard mode as out of the factory/also known as ECM reset)

So the first run was with all the upgrades installed. It seemed that the scooter didn’t pull well with the smaller throttle body and airbox restriction so I went the other way and the results were quite good. In fact, that’s a lie, they were impressive.
It still isn’t quite right but it’s getting there. I went out late in the storm so endured a 50mph headwind and the Vision managed to pull me up my test hill at just about 50mph. To be fair it was a bit pointless that test because the wind was so strong but after the hill test I continued the ride home from Tesco and it does definitely pull better than before. Still a little buggy on acceleration or so I thought, and the top end in all the wind managed 65mph on a slight downhill incline. The difference was, with the slightly leaner mixture the bike wants to pull more.
That led to test two, the next day.
I put back on the original 22mm TB and left the tuning injector in. Reset ECM and TPS and away I went......it was rubbish! It turned out the doubt in my head about the test the night before was not as I thought. On the smaller TB the vision had less pull right through the rev range and clearly the slightly larger TB is definitely doing something right.
With the airflow now the same diameter as the new TB opening (24mm) I know there is no restriction in the airflow. I’m told remove the snorkel restrictor inside and you are good to go. The cylinder head input port reduces to 22mm so there is a restriction there, but performance has improved somewhat already.
I’m thinking the next move is to rig up my makeshift air / fuel meter and have a look at what’s happening. If it’s running rich then I’ll go down the route of a fuel controller and if it’s not then it might be that I need to work on the exhaust side (that’s my suspicion) to get more top end. To be honest though, it’s made the Vision a nicer scooter to ride. I’m a heavy fella and I’m riding around at between 50 & 60mph everywhere I am allowed now without the feeling of looking over my shoulder all of the time for traffic up my chuff.
Onward we go

Scootyman

Re: Vision 110 - up hill speed

Post by Scootyman » Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 pm

Hello All,

Just a quick update on the testing I have been doing. I tried to increase the airflow on the air box by making an additional 25mm hole in the cover. It kind of worked I think but, it’s just so bloody noisy so I have replaced the airbox lid with a spare.
I haven’t really been out since to try anything else but I do have some goodies coming through the post (eventually). I have ordered a larger bore exhaust. What it will be like I’m not sure as it was quite cheap and on sale on Webike Japan website so when it arrives I’ll bolt it on.
I have also orderEd a 13 set of the new Mr Pulley (yep, the name has changed and no longer Dr Pulley) TechPulley sliders, to have a play with as the older ones worked quite well.
At the moment I am mega busy working on my garden. I’m digging drains and clearing land so I’m just too knackered to play with the scooter and besides my garage has resorted back to being in a bit of a mess with all the work going on. I’ve already shifted over 5 tons of gravel with at least another 6 tons to go. They don’t do hard landscaping in half measures here in Scotland and mine wasn’t done particularly well by the previous owners. At least my garage will no longer be a swimming pool and ready for winter so I can work in there come the cold weather.
Enjoy the sun and stay safe
Scoots

Scootyman

Post by Scootyman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Hello all,

Ok, so today I fitted a tachometer and an air/fuel ratio gauge to the Vision 110 and went for a ride to see what was happening after all the mods I have done.
The set up currently is:
Slightly modded airbox
24mm throttle body instead of 22mm
120cc injector (original was 90cc)
Mr Pulley 14 gram new improved sliders

Off I went on a little test run to finally find out what was happening with the fuelling. As I suspected on an open throttle above approx 65% it’s running on the rich side. No great surprises there then considering the injector I have fitted.

Surprisingly though, the ECU doesn’t seem to be trying to weaken the mixture above that level of throttle as others have commented might happen. Sure if you’re cruising at 50mph and you back off the throttle to hold speed then yes, the gauge falls into the optimum range but otherwise it’s rich and that’s that.

The performance of the scoot is still better than before. I’m back to work now commuting into Edinburgh every day and the Vision is pulling me up hills at 55mph instead of the 45-48mph I used to get if I was lucky. On a really steep incline I am managing to climb at around 35-38mph which is fine in urban areas and top end is somewhere between 65 & 70mph indicated on the speedo.

Last week my friend and I rode home together as we often do if our shift finishes at similar times. We did our usual wide open throttle along the A90 to keep up with the traffic and as alway my mate went in front. He is 40kgs lighter than me and he used to get to where we come off before the motorway always about a quarter of a mile in front. This time though, there was no more than around 50-60yds between us which kind of proved the point about the slightly increased performance.
We stopped at the pedestrian crossing coming off the Forth Road bridge and had a slightly downhill drag race (as you do) for the quarter of a mile down to the traffic lights. My mate couldn’t believe it - I beat him to the lights!

So in summary, yes it has worked and increased the performance of the Vision 110 and made it a nicer ride. I’m still continuing with an engine build with a spare engine and a 126cc kit but I don’t think this will happen till next year now as I’m deep in house projects despite the return to work.

For the record, the altitude mode didn’t seem to make a notice difference to performance as previously hoped but I will have a play now and see if it changes the air fuel mix on the gauge.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:52 pm

good result.