C'mon then! What else ya got? INNNOOOOOVVVVAS!

Anything else ya ride!
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

C'mon then! What else ya got? INNNOOOOOVVVVAS!

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I just fell in love with an 80ccc Kymco...... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's ok, it's over now...... :D

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Re: C'mon then! What else ya got? INNNOOOOOVVVVAS!

Post by Pjam » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am

I think this new section is an INNNNOOOVATION :D :D :D

Was the Kymco your Greek transport Newt?

Must update my profile cus the Enfields gone but I've still got a CB500 twin and I can't speak highly enough! they are superb, years and years old but causes me very little trouble and goes like blazes :twisted:

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Pjam wrote:I think this new section is an INNNNOOOVATION :D :D :D

Very clever!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Pjam wrote:I think this new section is an INNNNOOOVATION :D :D :D

Was the Kymco your Greek transport Newt?
Yeah! Two days of torrential saw the cancellation of the KT, and when it cleared the forecast still wasn't good so I wandered down the port and came back (very disapointed) with the biggest I could get. Turned out to be a great little runaround, and earned my respect hauling Su & I up cliff faces!
I had it for two more days later in the week too! Went from Paleokastritsa up to SIdari one day, came back through the mountains, then next run out was Paleo across to Ipsos, up north right round the top and back across some very dodgy mountain roads, 2' deep potholes would've swallowed the whole front end!
Only one close call when I was taking in the view, I felt Su twitch and looked down to see a pothole at least a foot deep about four feet wide, but with an intact strip about 3 inches wide across it and I JUST got the front wheel onto it and the back followed by a whisker!
That did give me one up as it was a deffo off.
I really did have to pay mega attention to the road, easy to see why 'wrecked' people are so apparent on return flights from Corfu! :D

Rickster
Rides:: MZ ETZ250, Vespa PX200E, Piaggio Typhoon 125, Puch MS50D, Yamaha Townmate T80

Post by Rickster » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:54 pm

My stepthrough is a Yamaha Townmate 80. Its shaft drive and a great little machine, but I have yet to really compare its performance to a C90. The last Cub I owned was nearly 30 years ago and I have been to bed since then, so its a bit unfair me to judge the two of them.

CubMate
Rides:: Yamaha T80

Post by CubMate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Mine is a T80 too and I just love it. When I retired from commuting I kept my Piaggio X9 500 thinking that I'd still use it locally but it was so big and cumbersome that I did barely 1000 miles in three years. Within a month of selling it I had withdrawal symptoms so found the box of T80 bits that I'd abandoned in the loft 25 years earlier and reassembled. An ebay cdi unit later and I had it MOT'd and resumed my 2 wheel wanderings. The first week or two was quite scary relearning the techniques for "making progress" without a deal of engine grunt. I'm amazed how the miles have accumulated since.

Has anyone repacked the rear drive with grease?. Mine is an early one and had a small quantity of thickish brown stuff in it but later ones seem to use a larger quantity of greyish sloppy grease. I'm trying 130cc of Castrol Classic Spheerol L-EP-O Grease which seems the right consistency but does make the odd appearance through the breather hole

Rickster
Rides:: MZ ETZ250, Vespa PX200E, Piaggio Typhoon 125, Puch MS50D, Yamaha Townmate T80

Post by Rickster » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 pm

CubMate wrote:Mine is a T80 too and I just love it. When I retired from commuting I kept my Piaggio X9 500 thinking that I'd still use it locally but it was so big and cumbersome that I did barely 1000 miles in three years. Within a month of selling it I had withdrawal symptoms so found the box of T80 bits that I'd abandoned in the loft 25 years earlier and reassembled. An ebay cdi unit later and I had it MOT'd and resumed my 2 wheel wanderings. The first week or two was quite scary relearning the techniques for "making progress" without a deal of engine grunt. I'm amazed how the miles have accumulated since.

Has anyone repacked the rear drive with grease?. Mine is an early one and had a small quantity of thickish brown stuff in it but later ones seem to use a larger quantity of greyish sloppy grease. I'm trying 130cc of Castrol Classic Spheerol L-EP-O Grease which seems the right consistency but does make the odd appearance through the breather hole
How often do you recommend packing the rear drive with grease? Everything seems pretty smooth at the moment and I know the previous owner regularly serviced the bike. Mine does have the usual broken indicator stem problem and has a temporary duck tape repair job. I will either bolt a new bracket in or get one welded in.

CubMate
Rides:: Yamaha T80

Post by CubMate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

I couldn't find any official recommendation for changing the rear gearbox lubrication but I was worried that after 26 years of storage the grease may have dried up. It did seem a little crusty when I opened it up so I cleaned it out and replaced with a grease suitable for cv joints that I had handy. There didn't seem any problems with that and the box remained quiet. In the meantime I opened up a more recent gearbox to see what was in it. As previously described there was twice as much of a greyish sloppy lube. The official Yamaha workshop manual dated 1983 just says 60cc of grease. The Yamaha T50 suplementary states 125cc of SAE80 API GL4 hypoid. This seems strange as the seals and breather would be unlikely to prevent dispersal over the rear tyre and possible the brake. Haynes (the later edition) gives 120g of Shell TG 093#00 grease or a Yamaha part no. 90793-40001. I was quoted £35 from a yamaha dealer if they could get it. I found a spec. for the Shell grease (on wayback machine) and the only grease that was nearly right and obtainable was the Castrol Classic Spheerol L-EP-O Grease . I'm now using that and it seems OK apart from the weep from the breather after long runs.
I think that the only important thing is that there is some sort of lube in there and not worry too much about regular changes (unless it becomes noisy), after all car transaxles have "lifetime" lubrication.
Sorry, I can't help with the indicator problem as my T80 is an early one and has them built in as part of the rear lamp.

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm

The things I ride most often amongst my motley collection are these two:

...not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I like 'em :D

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Black Sheep Radical wrote:The things I ride most often amongst my motley collection are these two:

...not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I like 'em :D
:shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!! lol. Like space ships!! :) Look comfy though :)