2006 CG125 Front disc brake

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: 2006 CG125 Front disc brake

Post by Jon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

knapdog wrote:
wightegi wrote:EBC organic brake pads work well on the cg .
Food for thought..............

This is what the Honda CG 125 Owners' Club has to say about pad choice:

One mechanic told me on a big bike at 100mph, trying to stop with sintered,
friction was not brilliant, but as the heat builds up (as bike was slowing down) it gets better and better,
around 70 to 80mph the pads have fully warmed up and the friction is massive and the bike stops very quickly.
So it could well be a 125cc bike is so light and is at such slow speeds (60mph), that sintered will never get up to heat.
Resulting in much less friction than with organics pads.
I can not confirm this idea, since I have not tried EBC Organics and EBC Sintered on a race track on a big bike.
The next question is, on a big bike at 60mph, which stops the quickest, EBC Sintered or EBC Organic.
If I had to bet, I would guess the EBC Organic.
Sintered are supposed to last much longer than Organic,
that still seems to be true but EBC Organics claim to last much longer than normal Organics.
Sintered are meant to have little feel, are harsh and hard, ether they are off or substantially on
(EBC Sintered have reduced this problem).
Organics do not have this problem.
Pads rely on friction. The more friction the greater the wear. there are two parts wearing, the pad and the rotor. You decide which part you want to be replacing because a long lasting pad with good 'bite' is going to be eating the rotor! Sintered pads are made of metal....

At the end of the day your hand will 'learn' how much effort to put into braking and having brakes that bite and then get a bit stronger during a long braking manouver isn't the end of the world. The initial application is often a panic grab and it is only a bit later your brain starts to modulate braking effort. Better to have slightly less aggressive 'bite' initially. The opposite (experienced with a big, old school drum brake) is much worse...ferocious wheel locking initial bite followed by a tail-off of power ending up with no brakes at all...

EBC are a good after-market brand. they are cheap and the organics are all built to stringent standards. Don't get caught up in anal internet guff. we are talking about a CG125 here with marginal suspension and a single caliper, not a multi-piston race bike. I recently rebuilt the cable operated front disc on a 1979 17 BHP CB125T and after careful assembly, that little (and according to legend famously crappy) brake would squeal the front tyre with a good squeeze so whatever you do with your hydraulic unit it'll stop!

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Guildbass, you ought to write a book!

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm

knapdog wrote:Guildbass, you ought to write a book!
why's your dog got a white nose...?

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:03 pm

guildbass wrote:
knapdog wrote:Guildbass, you ought to write a book!
why's your dog got a white nose...?
Good question!

I can' t exactly remember what it was but I do remember it was Christmas time and something white landed on Archie's nose. I think it was a feather and we took a quick photo before he sniffed it off!