cub cousins

Anything else ya ride!
horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

cub cousins

Post by horobags » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 pm

We all know the cub has been with us for a long time, since the sixties.?, and in recent years there has been many copies and spin offs, not to mention just from honda, the whole sh range, the anf innova and the recent wave. other manufactures including the suzuki address, sym symba, and many chinese copies. having owned 2 sh 300, s ,which are in my opinion exellent scoots.I hav, nt been lucky enough to ride any other of the " cub cousins", and wonder what your opinions are on these other scooters?????

Jon

Re: cub cousins

Post by Jon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 am

Firstly, they are not scooters. Scooters have the engine and transmission on the rear suspension system. The engine and gearbox is 'sprung weight'. Motorcycles have the engine in the middle, it is 'unsprung weight'. Cubs are motorcycles :D

one of the biggest differences with the new ones is that they have telescopic front forks and often a disc brake. They feel different. the lasger capacity engines don't rev as high so you need more gears. You tend to shift more often. On a C90, especially the 12v square lamp bikes, they can be left in top gear pretty much all the time once you are on the move. Slamming them into the lower gears is hardly worth it in the great scheme of things. i think the newer ones with their four gears will need to drop into third more often...in other words you ride the newer machines a bit more like a conventional small motorcycle whereas the older 12v C90 could be ridden much of the time in third as a single speed twist and go, using first or second just for pulling away .

When the snow clears I'll be able to ride my new Innova and see if it can be ridden in a similar manner...But then it's a 125 so will be pretty flexible in top gear anyway...

cruncherkid
Rides:: CD175

Post by cruncherkid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 am

Horobags, there was this lovely thread some time ago which you might enjoy.....

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4558

(looks like there's some picture links to fix.... :roll: )

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 am

horobags wrote:what your opinions are on these other scooters?????
The Comel Manja GS5, in purple, is an exceptional motorcycle ;)

horobags

Post by horobags » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

http://www.mirandah.com/categories/item ... aysia.html,
honda seem to spend a lot of time and money trying to defend their bike designs from being copied. Yet when the honda shadow came out I remember 'Hardly Movinson' spitting their dummy out. 'What goes around , comes around'.

horobags

Post by horobags » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 pm

thanks for the topic link cruncherkid, exellent reading.Ive now read up on similar models produced, but Im interested in, and what I was meaning in my first post , is what expieriences membes in this club have had with, anf, wave, symba,ect. Yes the front disc on the innova is defo a good thing, but are the newer models as rugged, built as good, and most importantly fun to ride..?? cheers.

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 pm

horobags wrote:thanks for the topic link cruncherkid, exellent reading.Ive now read up on similar models produced, but Im interested in, and what I was meaning in my first post , is what expieriences membes in this club have had with, anf, wave, symba,ect. Yes the front disc on the innova is defo a good thing, but are the newer models as rugged, built as good, and most importantly fun to ride..?? cheers.
that I don't yet know as my new Innova is under a bag in the garden until the weather eases!
That almost undefinable and rather lovely sense of 'you are riding a very crap thing but it's still doing OK' that one gets from riding an older Cub is less apparent with a new Innova of course, and as regards finish, my 2010 bike has some nice alloy bits and generally sexy fittings which may or may not be as robust in the long term but the essential ease of use, the auto clutch and the way that the interaction with the machine, gears, clutch etc is no longer a fundamental part is still the same so I don't see why an Innova or Wave would be any less 'Cub like' in terms of the way it effects the nature of the journey than the older bikes.

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm

horobags wrote:...what your opinions are on these other scooters?????
The Comel I have is a copy of the Honda Dream 100. While I can't comment on the engine (it was broken when I got it & it's temporarily running a 90 elec start motor) the tele forks and firmer rear shocks make handling considerably better than that of my 90. Really looking forward to trying it with the slightly larger original engine and 4 speed box.

horobags

Post by horobags » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

youve got a comel manja !! BSR, nice one, where did you get that from??, any pics??

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 pm

horobags wrote:youve got a comel manja !! BSR, nice one, where did you get that from??, any pics??
Gumtree! There's a project thread here.