72 VW Beetle 1300... what do you guys think?

Anything else ya ride!
Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

72 VW Beetle 1300... what do you guys think?

Post by Cerberus73 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 pm

ok went with one of my chums today to go look at her 72 VW Beetle 1300 its been in her family since new, bought by her uncle, registered in early 73 according to sales receipt, so eligible for free tax.. just. its been sat 15yrs in this lock up, and her mother is getting on at her to shift it so she can sell the garage. her father inherited after the uncle passed away, and she inherited it once her old man passed away. it has original owners manual, sales reciept, warranty card and other paperwork, as well as the toolkit, bulb kit and is thoroughly original throughout 70k on the clock and last on road in 85. heres some rather crap pics i took after a quick look around.

front end

rear

boot area

and front of chassis

and wheel arch.. all of them are in this condition

whats the chances its restorable and on a strict budget? ive offered to give her a hand. as i love old cars as well as bikes, i reckon i can get the engine rebuilt, and fettle other mechanicals, welding i have not mastered yet, but i have family that can, and panelbeat etc.

failing that what would you think its worth?

CeeGee
Rides:: BMW R80 Airhead, 1987 HondaC90, 1981 Suzuki GSX1100 & Occasional Sheep

Re: 72 VW Beetle 1300... what do you guys think?

Post by CeeGee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:11 pm

I think it's worth getting a large tank and running over it several times until it's flat.

I hate VW Beetles. :shock: :D :twisted:

kamilb1998
Rides:: 1980 Honda C70 ZZ, 1993 Yamaha QT50

Post by kamilb1998 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 pm

No idea what it's worth, but it looks to be in quite good nick from the pictures. No doubt there will be bushes etc. that will have failed due to it having been stood but I reckon it's easily restorable.

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm

It's a 1300A. :geek: ..They were the 'poverty spec' 1200 body & trim but fitted with the 1300 engine and slotted engine lid.
Quite a scarce model (all L or M reg I think) but not any more valuable for it.
Check for rot down the sills / heater channels / bottom of door hinge pillars, and the end of the sills where they meet the inner wings.
All panels are easily available but they can be complicated to weld.
Under battery (under rear seat) and spare wheel well also rot spots but easy to weld.
Mechanically it won't have suffered at all being stood. The torsion bar suspension has nothing to wear or perish, and wheel bearings and stuff are all monstrous Tranny van sized!.
That Woody Allen film where they find a Beetle in the 23rd century and it starts isn't far off! :lol:
Like a Cub there's not much oil and it does a lot of the cooling, so keep it changed often (3,000 miles-ish)

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:06 pm

ah so should be a straightforward proposition then boo? i did check the heating channels and seem solid, and inside wheelarches are like a tank, there is the signs of that rust that ends up looking like worm trails but not penetrating on some of the paintwork, the "A" pillars seem fine, panel gaps seem fine, doors have even gaps, the running boards seem ok, only bad thing i can see is floorpan inside has surface rust, but theres oil been spilt in one of em so seems to have stopped any rust., the spare tyre well is solid, and all the other areas i can see, im guessing brakes will be siezed or damn stiff. and the bloody keys seemed to be wrong ones (her mother looked out the keys) so i couldnt get into engine bay, i got into car cos it had been left unlocked. the interior was very bare, minimalist, i liked it, if somewhat musty and some mildew on door cards, the seats were great nick and dash was mint with original 70s radio on brackets under the dash. the wee car seems solid, ok i will need to get her out, some diesel down the bores, and check in the engine bay. and under the seat, was no time or space to get that all done today. the panels seemed solid, but im guessing rubbers will need replaced on windows, all seals and bearings, and new brake lines etc fitted? as well as the electrics needing a thorough clean and spruce up. i know most parts are available, what body style is this one? so i know if it needs panels what to look out for.

i would also need to know if it will need hardened valve seats? since its only ever ran on leaded, and if motor needs a rebuild be silly not to do it at same time.

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

They run fine on unleaded. Valve seat inserts are hard enough already.
I don't think any seals will need attention apart from the brakes. There's only one oil seal in the whole engine, and that's the flywheel.. if that's duff it will show up as a drip from the bellhousing when the engine's just been turned off..
The pulley end has a scroll instead and they never fail unless the main bearings are knackered allowing too much crank end float.
A good test for Beetle engines' bearing health is grabbing the crank pulley and pushing and pulling hard... excess end float (more than a few mm) will be easily felt.
Fit a new fan belt. It's all the cooling and not worth risking an old one.. By the same rule always carry a spare one.

Bearings (wheel and engine) should all be fine if they were when it was put away. No need to disturb them.

ayjay
Rides:: honda c90 ,x reg

Post by ayjay » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

i had a 1960-ish beetle,a red one- great little car, solid as a rock -1200cc -well, the heater manifold/exchanger was rusted through , so the nice warm air that came into the inside via the sills was mixed with exhuast fumes :lol:
(bloo-dy germans still trying to gas people)
it blew a piston ,so i replaced the engine
then tother engine did the same
so-- i installed a 1300 engine but the exhaust box across the back was too short(taller barrells) in the end i scrapped the bloo-y thing
great cars though, especially the way the fuel guage works(a mechanical float to the guage)

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 pm

hey your right... as usual boo, its a 1300A and pretty rare, last of the old style body before the 1302 and 1303. i just hope it can be saved and put on road in original spec

ayjay
Rides:: honda c90 ,x reg

Post by ayjay » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 pm

CeeGee wrote:I think it's worth getting a large tank and running over it several times until it's flat.

is there a sound reason as to why you "hate" the vw beetle?
what do you think of the citreon 2cv?
heres mine

cruncherkid
Rides:: CD175

Post by cruncherkid » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 am

CeeGee wrote:I think it's worth getting a large tank and running over it several times until it's flat.

They are one of those 'marmite' vehicles......quaint, but must admit after having driven one some years ago, definitely not a fan!! Would rather have a Mini or a Moggy Minor, both much nicer to drive :)