4 ltrs Castrol Power 1 10w-40 for £25!

oilman

4 ltrs Castrol Power 1 10w-40 for £25!

Post by oilman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:55 am

After some top quality semi synthetic 10w-40? If so then you may be interested in our latest bike oil offer - 4 litres of Castrol Power 1 10W-40 for just £25 with use of voucher code POWER1

We can only offer this for a limited time only, so make sure you take advantage before it ends.

Whilst we've got your attention it's worth mentioning some recent developments at http://www.opieoils.co.uk.

Recently we've been working hard in extending the range of products available on our web site and these aren't just engine oils and fluids, in recent weeks we have added Connect Workshops Consumables, Gunson, Laser and Kamasa Tools. We are planning on coming back with an update on all these developments but for the moment we suggest you checking out all our brands here > > > > >

New and improved web site search bar....

Shopping online at Opie Oils has now become even easier. We now have a New, improved and much faster search bar which is easier to use, gives faster results and better product filtering. Come and check it out for yourself and let us know what you think > > > >

That's it from us today but as always if you require any oil advice then feel free to ask. You can call us on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm, send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just ask us here and we will be happy to help.

- till next time

oilman

P.S - Until further notice we are giving Free UK Mainland Shipping on orders £50 or more. Free shipping will be automatically applied to qualifying orders at checkout, no voucher code will be required.

Offer applies to standard shipping` for most mainland UK addresses, some exclusions apply. Full list of carriage charges and destinations can be seen here.

radar

Re: 4 ltrs Castrol Power 1 10w-40 for £25!

Post by radar » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:09 pm

£25 + £4.99 postage = £29.99
M&P do it a quid cheaper Ebay Number : 141257841562

oilman

Post by oilman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi

Looking at their listing, it's the old version of the oil, it's been updated recently to the stock that we sell. It's cheap from them though, but looks like it's old stock.

Cheers

Tim

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:35 pm

I'd be interested in a 0w-40 but not 10w.

oilman

Post by oilman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a 0w-40 version of that oil. I've never come across a 0w-40 bike oil before, just 0w-40 car oils.

Cheers

Tim

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:10 pm

oilman wrote:Hi

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a 0w-40 version of that oil. I've never come across a 0w-40 bike oil before, just 0w-40 car oils.

Cheers

Tim
If 'car' oils didn't work on combined engine and gearbox power plants the 'A' series Mini and 1100 cars wouldn't have worked.... And after 35 years production I think they'd have spotted a problem!

Anyway, here's a 0w-40 which is specifically for small high revving engines with combined engine and gearbox...

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/4-s ... e_oil.html.

I use German Castrol Edge A3/B4 0w-40 currently ...For no particular reason other than it is a 0w-40 and a base 4.

oilman

Post by oilman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi

Often car oils will cause clutch slip in bikes with a wet clutch due to the different levels of friction modifiers in car oils. Generally, engine oils are fine with combined gearboxes and engines, it's just the wet clutch issue. Looking at my data, a C90 doesn't need a bike specific oil, so clutch slip is not an issue.

I didn't realise Amsoil do a 0w-40 bike oil, we never sold it when we dealt with them (Amsoil is no longer supplying the UK, so I guess Performance Oils are just getting rid of the stock they have now).

Cheers

Tim

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm

I live on the isle of Wight so you are too expensive on carriage Eurocarparts next day UPS FREE OF CHARGE.
We are only 3/4 of a mile from the "mainland" and have Portsmouth post codes.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:02 am

oilman wrote:Hi

Often car oils will cause clutch slip in bikes with a wet clutch due to the different levels of friction modifiers in car oils. Generally, engine oils are fine with combined gearboxes and engines, it's just the wet clutch issue. Looking at my data, a C90 doesn't need a bike specific oil, so clutch slip is not an issue.

I didn't realise Amsoil do a 0w-40 bike oil, we never sold it when we dealt with them (Amsoil is no longer supplying the UK, so I guess Performance Oils are just getting rid of the stock they have now).

Cheers

Tim
The Amsoil isn't a bike oil. it is simply a 0w-40 which naturally has characteristics which suit small hard used engines. Amsoil have recognised it's value for that and so promote it for, and I quote 'for four-stroke recreational motors, including ATVs, outboard motors and motorcycles'. They go on to say 'Use in Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Nissan and Bombardier motors and transmissions. Safe in wet or dry sumps. Recommended for manual or automatic clutches.

I've heard that thing about clutch slip but I've used fully synthetic non vehicle specific oils in my bikes since the mid '80's. Everything from a Husqvarna Enduro 350 competition bike through numerous little Hondas, a Kawasaki 650 twin and an SR500. All soundly thrashed at every opportunity and not one machine ever hinted at clutch slip. indeed the Honda Benlys have very weak clutches which will slip under provocation anyway and changing to Mobil 1 from whatever gack was initially in there made absolutely no difference. The only issue i've had in elderly engines was the superior detergent action of synthetics can clean carbonised mineral oil from filling the gaps in poorly fitted engine case seals and so leaks start. The trick here is to make sure the engine is correctly assembled...Then it wont leak.

i am aware that some vehicle brand-specific oils DO have additional friction modifiers, and there are markings on the containers to highlight this, but the generic off-the-shelf synthetics are no different than mineral oils as regards friction modifiers.

The problem is that as vehicle specific oils are generally specified to reduce fuel consumption and therefore emissions, they are invariably friction modified and low viscosity, which invariably means they start as synthetic based oils.

The confusion arises when people assume that if an oil DOESN'T say motorcycle on it, it is a car oil, and therefore has modifiers.

Not true, in fact there are car brand specific oils...Often 0w-20's or similar with the car maker's name on the container, ...And all other oils, which are suitable for ANY vehicle depending on grade and so on.

Motorcycle specific oils are essentially those conventional oils with a bit of niche marketing to squeeze a bit of extra money from the unwashed masses while they feel they are doing the right thing. I found a few years ago with a bit of a bit of careful investigation that US specific fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oil is exactly the same formula as ordinary European fully synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil.

The huge advantage with 0w oils in high revving little engines is in how rapidly they warm up to the point the oil is of a low enough viscosity to cool the hottest parts of the engine.

little revvy hard working motors generate enough heat at the piston rings and exhaust valves to overwhelm many oils within a few seconds of being under load, and the thicker when cold oils simply don't flow fast enough for several miles from cold to prevent heavy wear . As these motors often only DO a few miles at a time you often then end up with engines that are worn out within 30,000 miles

bigswifty
Rides:: Honda C90 M-G, Innova 125

Post by bigswifty » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:03 am

Jon/Tim, thank you, your information and knowledge is greatly appreciated. I do not have technical engineering or chemistry knowledge and often curious regarding oil. As it's sort of a 'taboo' topic on the forum (I imagine due to the wide variance in opinion and subjective view), it is hard to determine 'best selection' for the little revvy engine. I have favoured mineral 10-40, though it may be the case more advanced oils provide better lubrication and protection. With admin approval, I would support and welcome Expert/Guru advice regarding oil (I DO NOT WANT TO SPARK A ROW)(CLARITY ONLY)
Kind regards
Bigswifty