Clutch stuck on, what do i do? Help please!

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
charlie_88
Rides:: 1983 Honda C90 Economy Red/Cow Fur

Clutch stuck on, what do i do? Help please!

Post by charlie_88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 am

Hi everyone

This is my first bike, i passed my cbt friday and rode from plymouth to falmouth yesterday, the c90 never missed a beat and once i got used to the bike and riding on bigger roads it was an enjoyable ride (even though it was windy and raining in parts)

I started her up today and used the choke due to impatience, which i regret, which the previous owner (who has been very helpful) said was sticking and needed a new cable. I got 5 minutes up the road and lost power and the engine cut out. I imagine i'm flooding the engine, the powers there then goes, then i let off the power, then put the throttle back on and get a little push, then it dies again. The previous owner said to turn a small wheel like thing on the left of the engine, accessible through the leg guard, anticlockwise, which i did, but it feels very loose, like its disconnected and not affecting anything. I think thats the end of the choke cable, maybe its disconnected or the cable is too old/loose? Im no mechanic...

How do i solve the problem? Is a new choke cable cheap and easy to fit for a newbie? I havent much money yet need the bike to get to uni. Can I just disconnect it or would that be stupid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i need to ride her tomorrow...

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Clutch stuck on, what do i do? Help please!

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 am

It could be a few things, but going with what you know....

If you can get a 10mm and 12mm spanner, remove the legshields so you can see what you're doing.
Two 10mm at the top, two at the bottom, and a 12mm domed nut either side at the rear of the legshields.
it'll run fine with legshields balanced in place if you shear the bolts or struggle to get them in....

You should then be able to suss out how the choke cable operates on the carb. It works a disc in the carb, which obstructs the air flow when the choke is on, and lays flat, edge on, when off, allowing maximum flow.

Your mat's right, the chokes are prone to sticking. Usually, it's that the outer cable at the switch on the handlebar, isn't being retained as it should, so when you push the choke lever across to the right, the outer cable comes out of it's location, and the choke flap stays partly on, ie partly obscuring the air flow, enriching the mixture.

It isn't good to run with choke on, the rich mixture apparently washes the oil off the cylinder wall and speeds up wear or can cause seizure. In theory. :roll:

ANyway, it's not good, it'll run shite and use lotsa fuel.

SO, when you sussed how the cable works, ensure the choke is fully off. If needs be, remove the rubber inlet and actually look in on the operation to be sure.

Most Cubs, but not all, will start without choke. You might well be able to get away with disconnecting it completely, if the cable is really crippled, but just moving the little black plastic arm on the car b to the off position should do it, if you then don't touch the lever on the bars.

charlie_88

Post by charlie_88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks a lot, ill try and borrow an adjustable spanner or socket set tomorrow as i dont have my tools down here with me. I think it's exactly what you said, so it should be fine. I just wasnt sure what tools i needed for the job or what to really do, if its not hard i'll get it. I'm loving the c90 though, was great on the way back from plymouth, very fun! :)

thanks for replying so fast!
Charlie

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Good luck Charlie :D let us know how you get on.

Enjoy the bike and the forum ;)

dread
Rides:: lamb chop, vespa cutdown. italjet dragster chopper

Post by dread » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:20 pm

we all have to start from scratch at some point fella, so look on it as a learing curve. if it happens to some one else, once your fixed it, you'll be able to put them on the right track. ;) i too am a novice at c90's so don't get flustered, take your time. and above all, listen to these lot, AS I KNOW FOOK ALL!. lol. have fun and enjoy.

charlie_88

Post by charlie_88 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:08 pm

She's all fine, took off the leg guard and loosened the screw so I could turn the choke mechanism off. Runs well and starts first time every time, no need for the choke anyway, just needed to get the hang of kick starting her. I've done the screw back up and won't be needing it again haha

I'm learning about engines and how to fix them, i want that independence and gotta say this forum is great. There's a lot of love for the c90 and now I've got one i understand why ;)

I'll let you all know if I go on any big trips, i'm just commuting to uni and back at the minute in the wind and the rain that is cornwall at this time of the year! Planning on riding to bath, then home to staffordshire (and back) in the summer. I may convince some friends that it's a good idea to buy c90's and get on the continent in the future too, it's good to take it slowly and ponder around on a fantastic machine that'll never let you down :)

Enjoying myself anyway, and thanks for the help!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Just keep a check on the engine oil !!!!!!

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Keep it well secured too. It'll break your heart if someone wrecks it :o

charlie_88

Post by charlie_88 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Will do, she had an oil change about 500-600 miles ago, going to check soon and buy some oil. I've been informed 10/40 semi synth is generally what the c90 likes, this true? What oil do you find they like?

I'm keeping her secure, got a lock for the back wheel and my house is hard to find, not even on google maps :D

And... i've realised I've written clutch stuck on... it was the choke. Novice here haha, im learning though ;)

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 pm

You can go for the semi synthetic if you're flush, but make sure its motorcycle specific. A lot on here use 10/40 mineral oil. Cheap and cheerful name brand stuff, Asda/Tesco etc. Its very easy to change your oil. Do it every 600-800 miles. You only need 600ml for a complete oil change :D. Its also good to keep a check on your oil level regularly. Also when checking you oil level, you dont screw the dipstick in to get your reading. Simply hold it flush to the thread but dont screw in at all ;) .