Mazda Bongos and Honda C90s

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
crunch90
Rides:: C90e/125 C70 C90zz C90m

Re: Mazda Bongos and Honda C90s

Post by crunch90 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:39 am

Boo wrote:Just to add to that.. there seems to be a great amount of crossover of C90 and (insert weird hobby here)... Several unrelated people on here who share other interests viz. listening / playing unusual music, exploring old railway tunnels, Citroen 2CVs! (just 3 that sprang to mind :lol: ) generally not yer middle of the road tastes I suppose! :lol: For the best selling vehicle ever the C90 has some eccentric appeal!
Welcome!!!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one interested in old railway tunnels and listening to and playing unusual music phew......Add to that, general "urban exploration", old analogue synthesizers and trashy horror and B movies from the 50's to the very early 90's :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: You'll be right at home here it seems with the bongo aswell :lol: :lol:

dread
Rides:: lamb chop, vespa cutdown. italjet dragster chopper

Post by dread » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 am

sounds a bit like vw campers and italian scooters to me. air cooled all the way chaps and chapettes. 8-)

kipper
Rides:: 1983 cub 70

Post by kipper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 pm

definitely air cooled all the way ! Image

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I used to drive this around. :lol: Gave up VWs when they became expensive after the Bug Jam phenomenon in the late 80s.

dread

Post by dread » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:15 pm

i worked for t3d during the golden time. then it bacame a rich mans toy. killing the surf/hippy scene, i still have my camper, but it not been on the road for 6 years. as the roads belong to the man now. :evil:

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:44 pm

dread wrote: t3d
Is that Type 3 Detectives?
Another of my '80s cheapies! :D Wish I'd hung on to it in a way.. :roll:

dread

Post by dread » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am

oh my a hotch back, YES i had hair then. 30 inch long DREADS. :roll:

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 am

Around 1985 when I was about 13 and my Dad was still alive we/he used to build and race Beetle stock cars and buggies at a quarry track in Omagh, Co Tyrone. When I say we, = my Da built them and me and my brother wrecked them. I'll try and get the details right now but it was a long time ago and I was more interested in looking cool in front of my piers to worry too much about the mechanical side. As I said my Da built them and we wrecked them.

Anyway, mine was a sky blue 1302/3???, with the back end cut off and a Volkswagon Varient 1.6? fuel injected motor was grafted in. A steel cage was built around the protruding engine to protect it. The rear mudguards were removed and the wheels were replaced by landrover ones with the centres cut out and swapped with the beetle ones to make them fit. Not sure what size wheels went on the front but fab was pretty standard I think. I remember there was problems with the fuel injection brain? so my Da fitted twin carbs instead? I remember a long bar linking the carbs across the engine and when revved up flames would shoot out of them. Pretty cool for a 13yr old who was actually allowed to race with the big boys (the ones who didnt have a full license, ie banned). It was a power bucket and pretty hard to handle I remember. The track was a large oval and also quite wide. You would regulary get 4 cars side by side drifting on the corners.

There were a lot of accidents too. There was no such thing as health and safety in those days and the men with the pens had other things to worry about in Northern Ireland at that time. There was an old double decker bus where the commentry and announcements were made. Also it housed an illegal bar where the spectators would get pissed up. Some of the drivers were at it too :o. There were often bare knuckle scraps at the end of the adult races. Was mighty craic at the time. I was only 13 like I say and I fkn loved it :lol: :lol: :lol:

My brothers car was a beetle too. It was stripped of its shell to the floor. Re inforced with angle iron. Then a roll cage was added. This consisted of scaffolding pinched from my grandmother's (his mother's) extension project. I know cos I helped him nick them. His "frame" as we called it had a pretty standard engine in 1303? , the one with the big round fan like a bed stead. The problem with his frame was that it allways wanted to wheelie which was sorted I think with a huge box section front bumper. His frame also had double wheels at the back. It was quite Mad Max looking. To be honest I preferred his car to mine. :shock: Mine scared the sh1t out of me.

Cutting an even longer story short, we won 10 out of 11 races between us. I won 9 and my brother won one. Unfortunately my Dad died the same year and we dont have any photos from then. But I still have the trophies :D . It was the best and yet the worst year of my life :D :cry:

dread

Post by dread » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:40 pm

speaking of photos, way of topic hear.
but i didn't get a camera till i was something like mid 20's about probably 1993, so all my early years are also just in my minds eye, sad really,
but how times have changed, every one has a camera, even my little lad, and he is 5, LOL.