New dawn, new day, new bike

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Lewis
Rides:: Honda c90 cub, with 110 lifan engine

New dawn, new day, new bike

Post by Lewis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey everyone, just bought a 1991 c90 cub off a mate for £300. She ran and rode fine, apart from a few little problems.
Firstly, the front mudguard was literally hanging off, not that that bothered me... (until it failed MOT because of this!). It also failed MOT because of a rather large bit of play in the front suspension bushes (i didnt notice this, I was too excited about having a new bike!). With a disappointed look on my face at the MOT station, i rode home as fast as i could to sort the bike out! Boy was that fun! banking in to every corner, wheelying on pull-aways.. - GREAT FUN! When i got back, i researched prices for a new mudguard and bushes, but after about an hour of thinking, i decided to snap the mudguard off (front part only.). I took the front wheel off to check for this "play" in the bushes. There was rather a lot - and being the bodger that I am, i used some old skateboard bushes with some gaffa tape! took it back for MOT the next morning and she passed with flying colours. I took her out for a spin for a few hours, but was disappointed at the top speed of only 45 mph. It was bogging down on hills, and struggling up hills. I noticed the exhaust wasnt a stock exhaust, but infact an exhaust off a cub engine copied "luhao". It mustve been a 50cc, because there were restricter bolts in the header pipe. So now i've ordered a brand new exhaust of flea-bay, which should arrive soon. Please could someone confirm this is the problem? Also, what are the top speeds you can get on it? Thanks. Lewis...

Pics will be up soon (although im sure you've all seen a c90 before!!!)

cruncherkid
Rides:: CD175

Re: New dawn, new day, new bike

Post by cruncherkid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 am

lewiswvr wrote:I noticed the exhaust wasnt a stock exhaust, but infact an exhaust off a cub engine copied "luhao". It mustve been a 50cc, because there were restricter bolts in the header pipe. So now i've ordered a brand new exhaust of flea-bay, which should arrive soon.
Hi Lewis, welcome to the club! If your exhaust has a restrictor washer in the top or a narrow top collar, chances are it's off a cub 50 automatic or an LAC model and it will be stamped "30mph max" as some of them were. Luhao as a brand isn't necessarily a copy either, i'm pretty sure they have been an OEM for honda, and their exhausts are really good quality! Beware of some of the pattern items off ebay, genuine is always best.....have found some to be an absolutely rotten fit and quite poor in the quality stakes....if you want something with a good racy note, check out mteck-racing on here, have seen nothing but praise for their product!

Enjoy the club, Cruncher

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:42 am

45-50mph is the norm !
Only 85cc 4stroke after all.

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 am

As relaxed cruising speed maybe, but if that's actual top speed Id say summat's up. A good standard 12v C90 should do 55 happily, in still air on flat ground.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:10 pm

When i had a fz50 ages ago, it would slow down on hills if i got over 35. that is basically what it's doing now, it wont go over 45, whether on the flat, or down hill. It feels like there is something pulling it back when it gets to that speed.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 am

lewiswvr wrote: It feels like there is something pulling it back when it gets to that speed.
Could be lots of little things ........... or not? even an old or dry chain makes a big difference!

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

Choke cable is out of it's seat at the handlebar, leaving the choke very slightly on. ;)

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 am

Think you're wrong there newt, it actually has no handlebar choke! it has the remains of the mechanism still on the carb. Fitted new exhaust today... runs smoother and quieter... not much on the top speed... I found out its only running 14/39! so im gonna get it up to a 16/39 or a 17/39... what do you think? Cheers :mrgreen: