Hello from Dorset

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
CJS
Rides:: 1976 C90 6v

Hello from Dorset

Post by CJS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:22 am

So, once I get something in my head, there's nothing I can do about it. I just had to have one.

It started asking local neighbours if they had one tucked away, not used for years. Disappointment when one old boy swapped his for a plumbing job. which was sold on promptly, I hasten to add.

Another chap said yes I have one but will be selling it as I am doing my licence. It was too new for me with a rectangle eye, too much TV.

I wanted one like our local vicar and also the same as the dinner lady. it had to be Red or Blue and, after research pre 77 with a round eye up front. I would have been about 7 or 8 at the time.

I want one similar to the one my mate had when he reved it like mad, wheelied down the gravel drive, failed to stop and hit the side of a passing car. Lucky Boy.

Well I found one, a Red beauty P plate. It fits the bill and I look forward to commissioning for this spring.

My good lady is always organising adventure, be it a show, a break away, a dinner. You get the picture. She often asks, "are you excited?" Being honest I return gingerly with a ...."mmm not realy but I am looking forward to it." I know I am too honest.

Well I can confirm that now I am excited, very excited. Hoping for delivery next week. This weekend I try and make space in the garage as I also will be shoehorning a Honda Zoomer in there for my Daughter as she turns 16 end of the month.

A happy moped/scooter/step thru period in my life.

looking forward to learning more about these great fractions as time passes.

Cheers and feel free to say hi.

CJ

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Hello from Dorset

Post by Capitano » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:03 am

Welcome to c90club forum.

I had a '76 C90 in red ... but from memory that was in 1981. :shock:

Keep us updated. 8-)

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:00 am

Welcome CJ
You live in a good part of the country for Cub ownership & patience paid off.

An 'onda Zoomer not too shabby either 8-)

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:21 pm

CJS wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:22 am
This weekend I try and make space in the garage as I also will be shoehorning a Honda Zoomer in there for my Daughter as she turns 16 end of the month.
You might want to revisit the Zoomer plan, CJ.

If your Daughter is 16 soon she won't be licensed to ride one!

As far as I know, they were only made up to 2012. 16 year olds are restricted to class AM mopeds, which are all later than 2013 when the licensing laws changed.

Have a read of this:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=35951

CJS

Post by CJS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:33 am

Thanks all, el Capitano I traweled the net, read from insurance companies web sites and could never find the detail in regard to 2013. I did find that was the time our UK licences had multiple changes to come in line with the EU. It more or less states that its just the AM over P letters that changes but the 2 or 3mph reduction is made clear. Funny you can ride a Peugeot Speedflight but not a Honda Zoomer which is much slower.

I also tried to find a site that categorised mopeds but to no avail.

I appreciate the advice and may take the approach of confirming in writing with any insurance that she can ride the Zoomer.

If anyone can help with links refarding individual moped classification t's appreciated. Or is it just design speed of 28 over 30mph?

I did find one insurance company i think that stated pre 77 must have pedals but was classed OK.

The quest continues and thanks for the heads up.

CJ

Just read further and note the moped category on the V5. I guess that's the only way to confirm.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm

CJS wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:33 am
Thanks all, el Capitano I traweled the net, read from insurance companies web sites and could never find the detail in regard to 2013. I did find that was the time our UK licences had multiple changes to come in line with the EU. It more or less states that its just the AM over P letters that changes but the 2 or 3mph reduction is made clear. Funny you can ride a Peugeot Speedflight but not a Honda Zoomer which is much slower.

I also tried to find a site that categorised mopeds but to no avail.

I appreciate the advice and may take the approach of confirming in writing with any insurance that she can ride the Zoomer.

If anyone can help with links refarding individual moped classification t's appreciated. Or is it just design speed of 28 over 30mph?

I did find one insurance company i think that stated pre 77 must have pedals but was classed OK.

The quest continues and thanks for the heads up.

CJ

Just read further and note the moped category on the V5. I guess that's the only way to confirm.
I made the post, for the same reason I researched and gathered that information, to be kind, not nice. Nice would be to say, "Oh yeah, loads of people do it, and although it's technically illegal, nobody checks so you'll probably get away with it."

We made the decision to gather the correct information and post it on c90club to give our members the opportunity to know the true situation, however painful it is. (There's been more than one £10k+ purchase of a classic sports moped for a 16 year old to ride for example.)

Though you may find stuff online that contradicts it, the information I linked to is THE most definitive collection of information on the subject.

What's written there is the product of LOTS of painful information gathering , dealing with the DVLA and other interested parties over two years, starting as a "pandemic c90club forum project," because the Government information online was confusing, and insurers and various motoring bodies literally contradicted each other and the DVLA!

Regarding the Zoomer, it may say moped on the V5, but if it was registered between 01 August 1977, and 19 January 2013 it is a category P moped, so not legal for a 16 year old to ride.

The ONLY class of moped it is legal for a 16 year old to ride is a category AM moped, which means it has moped on its V5 and was registered after 19 January 2013.

We had to put this clause in regarding insurers as they often don't know, but you can bet your life if there's a way to get out of paying out, they'll find it. So, even if an insurer lets you insure a category P moped for a 16 year old, it still isn't legal!
Capitano wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Note *5: The mitigating excuse that an insurer let you insure it so it must be legal, does not apply. Insurance policies explicitly require you to ensure that you have the correct licence for the vehicle that you want to drive. It is YOUR responsibility, and cannot be delegated to an insurer. See the photo below.

Last word (as it usually does,) falls to Newtsalad:-
Newtsalad wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:30 pm
I just hope people following appreciate the huge amount of time and effort put into this thread to actually get the definitive legal position as available at time of writing!

You can of course, ride anything, anywhere, at any age. But just not legally on a public highway unless you follow the rules.

The info Capitano has spent so much care, time and effort collating is definitive.

We know you can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink. That's fine, that's your choice, but don't argue it's right, because Capitano's diligence trumps your five minute application, what you mistakenly thought, what your mis-informed mate says, or what that outdated or badly researched page on the web that you turned up says! ;) :|

CJS

Post by CJS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:10 pm

Amazing work, I bow to your knowledge.

Seriously its the likes of your good self that make the community ;)

Just one question, my fingers are trembling with fear of the forthcoming reply

If the bikes an import and registered after 2013 then does that make it OK :?:

"Regarding the Zoomer, it may say moped on the V5, but if it was registered between 01 August 1977, and 19 January 2013 it is a category P moped, so not legal for a 16 year old to ride.

The ONLY class of moped it is legal for a 16 year old to ride is a category AM moped, which means it has moped on its V5 and was registered after 19 January 2013."

I am only joking. Of course it should be manufactured date. :) or should it :?:

Now I am going to enjoy the rest of the site and learn more about these wonderful creations. Thankyou Soichiro.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:49 pm

CJS wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:10 pm

If the bikes an import and registered after 2013 then does that make it OK :?:

<snip>

Of course it should be manufactured date. :) or should it :?:
It's the date it is registered. If it has been registered as a moped on the V5 after 19 January 2013, it is defined as a class AM moped.

It's somewhat daft but still perfectly legal that if two identical bikes were registered as mopeds on their V5s, the first on 18.01.2013, and the second on 19.01.2013, the first would be a category P moped, and not legal for a 16 year old to ride. The second would be a category AM moped, and legal for a 16 year old to ride.

A Zoomer wouldn't even need to be an import to be a class AM moped. If it were registered after 19 January 2013, for example after being sat in a showroom unsold, and the dealer was able to get it registered as a moped, it would be class AM and legal to be ridden by a 16 year old.