Hello! Optimistic restorer.

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
loadedtoad
Rides:: C90 CBR600 PE175

Re: Hello! Optimistic restorer.

Post by loadedtoad » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:52 pm

Genius idea, hard enough just to get a new number plate now without a V5. :lol:
They didn't even charge you back then for replacing a lost V5 if you bought a bike without one.
Put a kwak thousand engine in a Z250 :lol: or any other madness just send change of engine number and cc V5 back in a week usually.
Happy days not to be seen again. :D

Johnno1970
Rides:: Suzuki k125

Post by Johnno1970 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:21 pm

loadedtoad wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:54 am
Again a very grey area the document V5 is assigned to the registered keeper not the legal owner although they are often but not always the same person.
If you have any friends or relatives in the UK simply get them to apply for the V5 (25 quid last time i did it) and become the registered keeper and once the paperwork is done you can "take it back :D " and take it to Ireland and transfer documents with a UK logbook.

Mostly getting a new V5 is all just paper pushing occasionally they want a photo of the frame number and even rarer they will come to have a look or ask for it to be taken to a DVLA inspection centre for confirmation.
If they do want a photo the more complete the bike looks the better.
So if I understand you correctly, I can apply to become the registered keeper even if I don't know who the previous owner is?

loadedtoad
Rides:: C90 CBR600 PE175

Post by loadedtoad » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 pm

yes apply for the V5 in the uk saying you do not have the V5 from previous owner.
It's lost is the best policy.
The DVLA will send a letter to the last known owner asking if they still own it and to reply if they do or ignore the letter if they no longer own it.
They normally give it 4 weeks and if last owner does not claim the V5 is usually given to the new client

Johnno1970
Rides:: Suzuki k125

Post by Johnno1970 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:38 pm

loadedtoad wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 pm
yes apply for the V5 in the uk saying you do not have the V5 from previous owner.
It's lost is the best policy.
The DVLA will send a letter to the last known owner asking if they still own it and to reply if they do or ignore the letter if they no longer own it.
They normally give it 4 weeks and if last owner does not claim the V5 is usually given to the new client
So I've got my hands on the V5 and it's now in my name under a uk address. "Bringing it back" is proving a bit troublesome though since Brexit kicked in. In order to register it here I need an invoice to say that I bought it in the UK and proof of transport to Ireland. Its all a bit ridiculous seeing as it was only a bare frame to begin with and is basically a restoration of a barn find. I have it sorn 'd for now while I try and figure out if there's any easier way of doing this. Suggestions very welcome at this point.