New member. New to Honda 90's.

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
1ee666
Rides:: C90 6v

New member. New to Honda 90's.

Post by 1ee666 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Lee and I'm in Manchester. I've been around lot's of different bikes over the years but new to the Honda C90. I've been looking at buying one for a while and when the opportunity came up earlier this week, I bought what I have been told is a 1971?? C90 frame without the engine. It looks to be completely original and seems solid. After joining this club and having a read through some of the questions others have already asked, I quickly realised I'm another one with an early-ish C90 without a reg number or logbook, just the old frame stamped vin number. So I will be trying to get hold of the old/original registration number in the near future before resorting to an age related reg if possible. I'm hoping to pretty much leave the frame as is and not paint it.
It goes against everything you should do when buying a bike (no logbook,reg number or engine) but for the money that was being asked for it, I think it's worth my time.
Anyway, there's definitely a wealth of knowledge on this forum and any input any of you may have would be much appreciated and taken on board. Thanks for letting me join and here are a couple of pictures of my frame.
Regards
Lee

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: New member. New to Honda 90's.

Post by wightegi » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am

Hi welcome along, we have a member who can search vin numbers , that is Dave1324 PM him with your details and he will look £5if he finds the reg or nothing if he cant find it.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36853

loadedtoad
Rides:: C90 CBR600 PE175

Post by loadedtoad » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Certainly got a bit to do to her but the frame looks to be in good shape.
Be careful looking for an engine as it's a 6Volt C90 unit
Completely different fitment from all the other C50,70,90 pit bikes etc.
If your'e not too fussy about originality and just want a Cub to ride the later 12 Volt engines can be fitted with some modification.
Also make sure you get a C90 seat as the C50 and C70 are smaller and wont fit over the tank correctly.
I also think its a bit later than 71 as it doesn't have the torque arm on the front brake plate.
I think they were around till 1974.
The had a facelift in 1977 but yours is not one of them so 1975 early 1977 i would guess at.
It could have later forks fitted i suppose :)

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25 pm

Welcome to C90club. 8-)

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi Lee, yes, welcome to this wonderful forum.
Your new steed looks lovely. Seems all there. Even got the carb, airbox and the wiring bits and bobs.
I'm not an early c90 expert, there's quite a few on here that are, so I'll leave the expert / technical advise to those that know!
I'm a later c90 Cub man!
Maybe remove rear wheel and check that arch underneath and between shocks and that rear join. Also under where battery fits in.
Once you' re 100% with the frame, then you can move forward.
I don't suppose you know what happened to the original engine? I think you can still get exhausts for earlier ones or pattern ones at least? Maybe after deciding on which engine first as a couple of exhaust types!
All the best and good luck,
Cheers Andy.

1ee666

Post by 1ee666 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 pm

wightegi wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am
Hi welcome along, we have a member who can search vin numbers , that is Dave1324 PM him with your details and he will look £5if he finds the reg or nothing if he cant find it.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36853
Thanks for your reply. I did the vin to reg check but unfortunately there's no info for it.

1ee666

Post by 1ee666 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 pm

loadedtoad wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 pm
Certainly got a bit to do to her but the frame looks to be in good shape.
Be careful looking for an engine as it's a 6Volt C90 unit
Completely different fitment from all the other C50,70,90 pit bikes etc.
If your'e not too fussy about originality and just want a Cub to ride the later 12 Volt engines can be fitted with some modification.
Also make sure you get a C90 seat as the C50 and C70 are smaller and wont fit over the tank correctly.
I also think its a bit later than 71 as it doesn't have the torque arm on the front brake plate.
I think they were around till 1974.
The had a facelift in 1977 but yours is not one of them so 1975 early 1977 i would guess at.
It could have later forks fitted i suppose :)
Most definitely got a lot to do and thanks for the info. I picked up a 6v engine yesterday and sat it in the frame this evening with the help of my lad to check it fits. The motor will be stripped shortly and checked over.
As for the year, I really need to do my homework to determine the year as I know the bike was purchased new in Blackpool. I've messaged the Lancashire archives and they have records of vehicle registrations and licensing from the 70s but only listed in order of registration number and not by frame number. So if I can pinpoint the year, I may be able to find the reg in their archives. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info! I'll take that on board.

1ee666

Post by 1ee666 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:07 pm

Capitano wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25 pm
Welcome to C90club. 8-)
Thank you.

1ee666

Post by 1ee666 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:19 pm

Devon general andy wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 pm
Hi Lee, yes, welcome to this wonderful forum.
Your new steed looks lovely. Seems all there. Even got the carb, airbox and the wiring bits and bobs.
I'm not an early c90 expert, there's quite a few on here that are, so I'll leave the expert / technical advise to those that know!
I'm a later c90 Cub man!
Maybe remove rear wheel and check that arch underneath and between shocks and that rear join. Also under where battery fits in.
Once you' re 100% with the frame, then you can move forward.
I don't suppose you know what happened to the original engine? I think you can still get exhausts for earlier ones or pattern ones at least? Maybe after deciding on which engine first as a couple of exhaust types!
All the best and good luck,
Cheers Andy.
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. The carb look to be goosed. The slide was stuck in the body and once we eventually got it free, it looks to have been ground down. There's also some strange looking pitting/bubbling to the outer body of the carb. I'll pop some pictures up tomorrow.
I'll definitely be stripping the frame down at some point and check the areas you mentioned.
As for the original engine, I was told the frame came from a garage of a fella that sadly passed and his wife didn't know what to do with everything in his garage. I believe it changed hands and was listed on Facebook marketplace earlier this week for £100. I reckon all the parts were together in that garage at some point but I didn't want to mither the lady I bought it from to find out. That's how I came to own it.
Lot's to do and think about.
Hopefully I don't end up in over my head🤣
Thanks for your input!
Kind regards
Lee

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:54 pm

Not on the DVLA records, you will need a dating certificate from a club that is on the DVLA list to get it registered.

If you pm me the Vin number ( click on my user name and then send private message) I will see if I can find the date.