Project c100

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Jezc100
Rides:: C100

Project c100

Post by Jezc100 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi All,
I have fond memories of riding a c90 over the school fields (public footpaths Oops!) to the local quarry, never changing the oil or any maintenance just get enough money for petrol and off we went just amazing bikes.
I have got my hands on a c100 a lovely little thing but being 57 years old 1965 she needs a lot of TLC.
After trying to join this forum for over 2 years I finally think I’m in? I’m no longer the 7 stone kid I used to be nor the 7 stone Japanese man delivering a bowl of hot noodles that the bike was first intended for I’m just over double that and with my petite wife on the back goes wonderfully down hill and ok on the flat but as soon as I come to an incline with the throttle pulled back it boggs down and cuts out and seems a little under power This could be any number of problems but it is highly unlikely that it is the Chinese carb that has been fitted to the top of the engine with a built in air filter?
I’m in a bit of a predicament as I know nothing about engines and this is my introduction to learning what to do,as I’ve built up my minor knowledge over the years by taking things off putting them back, taking more off putting it back and so on but my knowledge is very basic (I’ve had a good look over the engine and can’t even find the flux capacitor, the thermo-coupler and glow plugs but can’t find them
My biggest problem besides my weight is I live at the top of a very steep hill and a hilly area which I did not take into consideration when purchasing said bike. For now at least I’m looking to swap the engine? To get more torque for the hills, I’ve read about lifan engines that are a straight swap with even the side of the Honda engine casing able to be put on to make it look a little bit OEM? Or is there an electric motor that can help out that can be discreetly hidden behind the faring or in a rear square helmet box or something? Or someone said getting the engine bored out and lined ? If this sounds right?
So if there are any Jedi masters on this site that have the time and good grace to help me then I will put my questions in the engine gearbox and running gear section. I would like to do the work myself but I don’t know if I have the ability or tools to do the job so I’m also wondering if anyone knows of an expert in the Torquay/Exeter area that can do the job and what kind of cost that I should be looking at?
There’s a really cool guy on YouTube that has posted a few videos that are really informative but I think he lives in London so he’s a bit to far away for me to stalk him and ask him to be my new best friend so wish me luck I think I’m going to need it. Smiley face, Jez.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Project c100

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Welcome!

Hopefully someone will be along with suggestions about what you can do with it. Plenty of people have fitted Lifans but mainly into 12v bikes. If your bike is in half decent condition it might be worth more if just fixed and preserved rather than having to convert it to 12v and the other changes such as exhaust. Others will know, not me. :D

As to 2 up riding and hills. In 1967 I knew a couple who were both RAC/ACU instructors, he had a BSA Lightning, she a Francis Barnett. He bought a new C100 to commute 12 miles a day. He was over 6', she was about 5', both were best described as portly.

He took on a bet from a workmate, think its was £5, to ride from Essex to Cornwall and back 2 up with camping kit. I remember the tales of one pushing the other up hills but they did get to Lands End. They did break up shortly after though.

I was in hospital about 20 miles from home in traction for the whole winter of 67, he would visit me twice a week each time with a different friend on the back of the Honda. But then, no hills were involved in that journey. :lol: