New member, Hello

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
themadscotsman
Rides:: Honda C50 1976 model in blue

New member, Hello

Post by themadscotsman » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew and I joined at the back end of July 2021.
I’ve got an old C50 that I acquired from an old friend who asked me to store it in my garage about 20 years ago and forgot about it for about 10 of those until I reminded him, I forgot too as I went overseas for two years of work and stayed for seventeen instead.
I offered to buy it from him but he said I could have it for free as he would have scrapped it anyway, not one to shun an offer like that I went around and got the logbook off him and left it a further 5 years in my garage in Scotland
Last year I came back from overseas and as I don’t have a garage at present at my current address in Bracknell, I moved it to my mums house in Nottingham until such time as I get around to beginning to work on it.

Anyway, I went up last weekend to see if it would start, I was informed it was a runner before storage but would no doubt need a battery, which I guessed anyway, so I armed myself with a new battery, points, a coil, condenser, a new spark plug and a litre of oil, better to have and not need I say.
This hasn’t turned over in the best part of 20 years, only being pushed in and out of storage, I sprayed a little wd40 in the plug hole to wet the cylinder and after a few minutes gave the starter a little shove, no resistance at all, so not seized, happy days.

New plug in, petrol in the tank, fuel on, a bit of choke and fiddling with the throttle and after about 5 mins, it started and kept running so I let it warm up before trying the throttle. After a while I shut it down, and it starts now with about 2-3 kicks.
I’m now looking to fully or partially restore this old bike depending on motivation, time available to work on it and what have you.
It seems solid enough with rust bubbles under the paint but no visible structural issues at initial inspection, wheels are rusty but may clean up.
I will need new brake shoes no doubt and probably shock absorbers, an exhaust and no doubt a plethora of new parts.
I would like to keep it as original as possible by not changing unnecessary parts for the sake of making it look brand new.

This is where I call upon the wisdom of the crowd in the forum here for help and advice.
More posts are sure to follow if I can’t find what I need.
It’s a 1976 R plate blue model with less than 1600 miles on the clock by the way.
I need to resize my pics before I can upload any

Thanks for having me on board.

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Re: New member, Hello

Post by fatboytours » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Well done and welcome aboard

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Photos need to be hosted elsewhere ,most of us use Postimage .

themadscotsman

New member, Hello

Post by themadscotsman » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Here is a link to some pictures.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/cJP00VS

themadscotsman

Post by themadscotsman » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:14 am

Hi Rupes ,
Well they don’t make them like they used to. I have a similar age Suffolk punch cylinder Mower still going strong.
This moped is only 4 years younger than myself.

Here is a link to a short video of her running.
https://youtu.be/nVoZk-4jkrE

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am

You know the bike is not a Moped , but a light motorcycle , the moped versions came out later and have a speedo that goes up to 40 mph.

themadscotsman

Post by themadscotsman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 am

Hi again Rupes,

I can understand your confusion in my post in regards to the video clip.

I have actually found a clip of the mower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoCOvLtLQ64

I do love old machinery too, although things were made to last in the good old days, sadly many didn't and it's only really men in sheds keeping things going for others to wonder at.
I once found a 1950's German Hercules roadster pushbike at the dump, in almost perfect condition other than scratches to the paint from years of use, hardly any rust though. I fitted a saddle as it didn't have one and replaced the tyres, gave it a clean and she was good to go. I used it often to go to and from work in the summer months. I sold it a few years ago though as I had too many bikes.