New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Post Reply
00mike00
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am
Rides:: 1990 Honda cub 90

New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by 00mike00 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am

Hi all,
New to the world of Cubs but not new to biking. I'm a battle weary biker who only rides in fair weather now, I spent over a decade riding through everything without a car licence. I've had to transition to cars now as the weather etc takes it toll but I still get out on the bike.
I have a beautiful 1998 Yamaha TRX 850 which is my forever machine and recently, so I can go riding with my best friend, I purchased this...

Image

A G reg Cub 90 economy. I'm still learning about the range of styles and types...so what can you tell me about mine specifically?

User avatar
wightegi
Posts: 8764
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:23 pm
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90, Gl5oo silverwing ,Piaggio xevo 250ie
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by wightegi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:44 am

Hi photos have to be hosted elsewhere ,Postimage is popular and there is a guide in the newbie's area ;)
G reg C90 what colour .red are fastest :lol: .
Simple modifications , better shocks for the rear ,Davebike on here can supply them , find him in the recommended suppliers section . a halogen 35/35 watt headlight bulb helps a lot ,Davebike again. brakes EBC grooved shoes ,same number as the standard but with a G on the end ,the front brake cable is probably a bit old ,change it for a genuine Honda one from a Honda dealer .
stick Cheltenham in your details

Have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5727

EBC shoes H303G Wemoto sell them but they are not listed in every C90 section .

davebike Dave wilkins motorcycles ;)

User avatar
JohnS
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 pm
Rides:: .2019 Honda C125
Location: Rugeley,Staffordshire

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by JohnS » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Welcome to the forum.
You can change from third gear to neutral,but only when standing still,by moving the gear-lever in the normal change-up direction.It’s been that long since I rode a 90 that I can’t remember wether that is up or down. :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
knapdog
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 pm
Rides:: '95 C90 e/s, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '17 Honda cbf1000
Location: Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by knapdog » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:11 am

00mike00 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am
Hi all,
New to the world of Cubs but not new to biking. I'm a battle weary biker who only rides in fair weather now. So I can go riding with my best friend, I purchased this...

A G reg Cub 90 economy. I'm still learning about the range of styles and types...so what can you tell me about mine specifically?
Here you go.....

Image

Steve s
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm
Rides:: Honda c110d, Norman nippy, laverda mirrage, wlc, v rod.
Location: East yorks

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by Steve s » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm

I had a trx 850 back in 98, I kept it a couple of years then my lad took it from me for a year or so then he sold it on.
I've had loads of bikes since, but that trx left a very warm feeling inside me, it suited me perfectly, pegs where low, comfortable and the engine had a great power delivery for nomal riding.
I keep looking at them, but the prices are going up, and I still remember that gearbox and winter pinking.

I've had loads of bigger bikes since, but this year bought a ktm 790, then after a few weeks traded it for a ktm 890r, my yearning for the trx has stopped. Riding the ktm is like a trx 850, but everything is perfect. I still keep looking at trxs though.

00mike00
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am
Rides:: 1990 Honda cub 90

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by 00mike00 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:57 pm

knapdog wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:11 am
00mike00 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am
Hi all,
New to the world of Cubs but not new to biking. I'm a battle weary biker who only rides in fair weather now. So I can go riding with my best friend, I purchased this...

A G reg Cub 90 economy. I'm still learning about the range of styles and types...so what can you tell me about mine specifically?
Here you go.....

Image
Thank you Knapdog for sorting that image out. I understand now ;)

00mike00
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am
Rides:: 1990 Honda cub 90

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by 00mike00 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Steve s wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm
I had a trx 850 back in 98, I kept it a couple of years then my lad took it from me for a year or so then he sold it on.
I've had loads of bikes since, but that trx left a very warm feeling inside me, it suited me perfectly, pegs where low, comfortable and the engine had a great power delivery for nomal riding.
I keep looking at them, but the prices are going up, and I still remember that gearbox and winter pinking.

I've had loads of bigger bikes since, but this year bought a ktm 790, then after a few weeks traded it for a ktm 890r, my yearning for the trx has stopped. Riding the ktm is like a trx 850, but everything is perfect. I still keep looking at trxs though.
I must admit I do find myself contemplating newer machines because I've ridden them and they are just, well, evolved.
My TRX however had R6 front and rear suspension, braided lines and a digital heads up. With a few extras these old tubular framed Yammys are wicked on the road. I've had bigger CC but I've found it makes no difference, the rider is a huge % of it and I do just fine on the UK roads.
I rode a bog standard TRX and to be honest I found it handled like an old boat, which is a shame given that it only requires some tweaks to be a formidable road machine.

00mike00
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am
Rides:: 1990 Honda cub 90

Re: New from Cheltenham - tell me something about my bike

Post by 00mike00 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:02 pm

wightegi wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:44 am
Hi photos have to be hosted elsewhere ,Postimage is popular and there is a guide in the newbie's area ;)
G reg C90 what colour .red are fastest :lol: .
Simple modifications , better shocks for the rear ,Davebike on here can supply them , find him in the recommended suppliers section . a halogen 35/35 watt headlight bulb helps a lot ,Davebike again. brakes EBC grooved shoes ,same number as the standard but with a G on the end ,the front brake cable is probably a bit old ,change it for a genuine Honda one from a Honda dealer .
stick Cheltenham in your details

Have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5727

EBC shoes H303G Wemoto sell them but they are not listed in every C90 section .

davebike Dave wilkins motorcycles ;)
Sadly mine is the second fastest, it's blue :lol:

Thanks for the info on the shocks etc. I wasn't looking to go over kill on the mods as mine is a very presentable stock machine but what you've suggested I'm keen to do. So far I have made the chain right with the best lube, iridium plug, set the carb up and made sure the air flow is spot on. I haven't adjusted the valve clearances but then again I've never done that, always time to learn! Uprated brakes would be fantastic, so the shoe suggestion is welcomed. Oh and the headlight, yes a much needed replacement. I'll go search one out now.

Post Reply