Hello Everybody!

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Harry Monk
Rides:: NC50

Hello Everybody!

Post by Harry Monk » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello, I've just joined so this is my first post to say "Hello".

I live on a narrowboat, I work in the Winter and save as much as I can, and around Easter I go off cruising the canals for the Summer until the money runs out. Then rinse and repeat.

I have a Honda Express which I take away on the boat with me, it's so light (48kg) that I can just lift it on and off the boat unaided, I use it to go shopping, visit attractions etc. In fact I have three of these but this is the only roadworthy one at the moment.

However, ever since I was a teenager I've wanted a Honda C70 or C90 so I'm planning to buy one sometime this year.to keep on my mooring, which is at Brinklow, Warwickshire and use it when I'm riding locally. I love my Express but it only does 25mph so it's a bit impractical if I have to get anywhere with any sense of urgency. It's unusual for a Honda in that it's a 2-stroke which Sochiro Honda, the Old Man, hated.

So when I'm ready I'll look here to see what is available for sale and I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Cubs along the way. Anyway, for now I'll leave you with a pic of the Express just in case anyone doesn't know what they look like. Cheers all.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Re: Hello Everybody!

Post by Bogger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Nice Moped Sir. Welcome

Bogger

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi welcome ,nice express are you on the Facebook express group ?

Harry Monk

Post by Harry Monk » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Yes, in fact I'm a moderator on the UK Honda Express Facebook group ( so you can be sure I know how to behave myself in here ;) )

I love my little Honda Express but I have wanted a Cub ever since I was a teenager back in the 1970s, and now time is running out it's time to go for it!

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Brilliant little 'ped the Express.

Never owned one but ridden and coveted a few.

I remember as a youth being impressed with the wind-up starter.

Good luck with the Cub quest.

I spent at least 2 years finding and eventually buying the right one. 8-)

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Mine is kick start only unfortunately the wheels are rusted to nothing ,but I have a cunning plan .

Harry Monk

Post by Harry Monk » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:54 pm

As far as I'm aware the clockwork starter is unique. There is a back story, the NC50 (NC stood for "New Cycle") was solidly aimed at women who had never ridden a motorised vehicle. Part of the design brief was "It has to be light enough to be able to be picked up by a woman if it falls over".

Can you imagine saying something like that nowadays? :D

But the clockwork start came about because Honda's market research showed that women did not like kick starters. They also did not like premixing 2-stroke fuel so it has a separate tank for 2-stroke oil, although mine has been converted to run on premix, a very common modification.

In case anyone has never seen it, here's a video of the clockwork starter in action.

And here's the boat I live on, at the moment I'm on my mooring and working, but when I go off cruising the bike lives on the bow (front) deck. I just roll it up that plank and lift it on.

loadedtoad
Rides:: C90 CBR600 PE175

Post by loadedtoad » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:00 pm

But the clockwork start came about because Honda's market research showed that women did not like kick starters
Quite curious really ,i remember girls fighting amongst themselves at our school never a punch thrown always Kicking or Hair pulling.
Perhaps a pull starter with horse hair was too expensive :D

ojrdude
Rides:: 1986 C90

Post by ojrdude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 am

I'd never heard of a Honda Express before. It looks like one of the coolest things I've ever seen! :D I might have to get one!

andyk1k
Rides:: 1966 S90 1998 royal enfield 350

Post by andyk1k » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:36 am

Built loads of narrow boats many years ago for longport marina and Gary gaunton,very heavy and really hard work it's not too bad in a dry covered dock but a nightmare in a field with mud and rain and a boss who wanted a 6 week turnover per boat on your back :( glad to be out of it.