Hello Everybody!

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Harry Monk
Rides:: NC50

Re: Hello Everybody!

Post by Harry Monk » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

As I'm new here forgive me if I'm not fully up to speed with forum etiquette yet. If this post should be elsewhere perhaps a moderator could move it?

Anyway, as I said I'm here to learn a bit more about Super Cubs, and hope to buy one sometime this year. I would need to save some money first and also build a shelter for it so I can keep it out of the elements to some degree.

What I have in mind is the round-headlight round-indicator version as that's what I remember from my late teenage years, and here is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-C90-19 ... Swk25fBZFl

One thing I do know about Super Cubs is that they are prone to frame corrosion but what else should I be looking out for on one of these model types? Do the very late ones have electronic ignition and is it worth having compared to contact breaker points (on my Express the points tend to be problematic)

To be honest, this one would be a little over budget at the moment but it is being offered for sale by a dealer, and I understand they have costs they need to cover. What sort of money should I be expecting to pay for something like this in a private sale? The budget I have in mind will be around £1,800, is it reasonable to expect to be able to pick one up for this?

Any other thoughts welcome.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:53 am

Most definitely there are many more qualified than me to comment but...

Good idea but if I was looking at another I would hold out for a C90C which is 12v cdi and has the round headlight and indicators. It also doesn't have the encompassing hide all the rot plastic rear mudguard that the C90E onwards has. All the advantages of the later bikes and the looks of the earlier. :D

JohnS
Rides:: .2019 Honda C125

Post by JohnS » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:14 pm

The problem there is that they are very rare and most owners of them will want to keep them.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:12 pm

The eBay one has a few problems , only 1 bolt holding the fuel tank left side crack above other side ,where is the hole for the points access (on the end of the cam ) not worth anywhere near that .

For the price of the eBay one you could buy a newish C125 19 plate.

Harry Monk

Post by Harry Monk » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:12 pm

Thank you, I'm not specifically inerested in that particular one, just giving an example of the sort of thing I will be looking for so as to get an idea of common faults and other things to look out for when I start viewing.

I'm in no great hurry so am quite prepared to wait for the right one to come along and I'd prefer really to source one from a forum member here as I tend to think that enthusiast-owned vehicles of any type are generally well maintained and the sellers generally very trustworthy. My son has a Rover 216 Coupe which we got through the Rover 216 forum and it was better than any of the dross we'd seen on ebay and in fact the seller had been a Rover designer back in the day and was personally responsible for designing the floorpan of the 216 Coupe.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm

216 I have an MGF ,used today for a trip to the Needles to look at the view . Yes the eBay one looks to be full of filler about £500 would be nearer the mark . have a look in our bikes for sale section .Check the dates and location as well ,we get people asking about bikes that were available 2 years ago . . .in Vietnam :roll: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:50 am

Harry Monk wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 pm
Yes, in fact I'm a moderator on the UK Honda Express Facebook group ( so you can be sure I know how to behave myself in here ;)
Any tips then Harry? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great first post. :D Welcome.

We'll have been going 12 years in April. And it's fair to say, it's grown into a beast that's got away from us somewhat. First we've pretty much become a bike forum, as so many regulars move on to other bikes, and we are loathe to see them go. I've even turned up to our meets on the Guzzi when needs must.

The forum is pretty rambling. We actually delight in that an introductory post like this can develop into something really interesting even if it get's a bit convoluted and doesn't seem to conform to forum rules.

That said it is without doubt the biggest resource of information on our little bikes ever. Some of the best info can be buried in the most unlikely posts, but it would take a lifetime to mine it and organise it. Fortunately Google pretty much does it for us. A search on Google followed by c90club.co.uk usually turns up what you need.

We had a member here for a few years who also lived on a narrowboat. Thoroughly nice chap who sadly had to give up motorcycling for health reasons and not dropped by for almost three years now. Seems like we was only camping and pi$$ing up a short while ago!

Harry Monk

Post by Harry Monk » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 pm

I get the point about the C90C and this would seem ideal but also I realise that it might be a while before one becomes available. So I might look at something more readily available in the meantime, figuring I can always sell it later on if I need the funds to upgrade.

This is newly listed on ebay, it's not too far away and I'm thinking of putting a bid on it, if it's not an imposition for anyone who has five minutes to spare I wonder if they could take a look and tell me if there is anything I have overlooked or be aware of? One the one hand it is running, MOT'd, looks quite tidy and has a fair bit of service history, on the other hand the seller doesn't have much feedback history.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-c90-cu ... Mn5LPivzQ4

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Looks to be a nice bike at first glance Harry. The patch of underseal or whatever to the rear of the side panel in the second photo causes me concern.

Also, the pic showing the right hand fork, looks to me to be over sprayed.

There really isn't any other option than to go look before you buy. Or be prepared to walk away if you feel the item is 'Not as listed'.

More than two days to go and already over a bag 'o sand. Truth is they're becoming collectables, and the price has no bearing on value for money so far as a motorcycle is concerned. On the plus side, their increase in value means more are being saved.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Personally I'd swerve around that one but then I'm a bit picky. Shoot me down Newt but

Says 4 speed electric start, it would have to have a bottom starter Lifan (probably 110) engine fitted and side cases changed to look like it does. Probably not then.

It's had some welding done very low down on the frame and splashed over with something or other, could hide a real bodge job.

The rack pictured is not for that model IMO. Think it's for a 6v bike, might be wrong been wrong before etc etc.