Hello from Lincoln, 50 yr old rides an Innova

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Paul-VFG
Rides:: 2011 Honda Innova 125

Hello from Lincoln, 50 yr old rides an Innova

Post by Paul-VFG » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Evening everyone, thought I better introduce myself.

I'm Paul from Lincoln, passed my bike test back in the 1990's and rode a CBR 600 and unfortunately my right wrist seems to want to go all the way around to the stop each time I went out on it and eventually got pulled over after being Vascar'd by the old bill and almost lost my licence and soon after that I was about to get married and start a family so sold the bike (1997)
Roll onto 2003 and got the divorce T-shirt so went and bought a KTM duke supermoto (instant hooligan) but in 2005 while wizzing around some woods a tree wouldn't get out of the way and with too much mud on the rear brake I hit a tree! No damage to the bike although it land on my right leg breaking my tib and fib (the motorcross boots obviously didn't give any protection) and that gave 3 months off work, 2 plates and 14 screws and a pair of xrays I borrowed on a permanent basis without telling the nursing staff which make a nice talking piece at BBQ's I decided to give up biking...until a few months back in 2020 when I started watching Ed March's videos on youtube 'c90adventures' which gave me the bug to get a bike again only this time I wouldn't go racing around the countryside at 'you'll get banned instantly if you get caught' speeds, instead I decided I wanted a C90 and nothing else! last time messed around on one was in the 1980's when I was a teenager and they were so cheap that a friend of mine swapped a packet of ciggies and a 4 pack of for one...THAT CHEAP!
I did some searching on ebay....what the? then bike trader....what the? then elsewhere...what the?
has the world suddenly gone mad for C90's? why are they so expensive???
Later that week I had a long chat with one of my mates who has a bike servicing garage who explained that in the past few years the C90 has reach 'cult status' and they sell for silly money and what you really want is an Innova as its a 125cc and has a engine developed from the C90 and is bulletproof as he rarely see's completely knackered Innova's come in
3 months later after searching ebay and facebook market place which again was showing even these are going for silly money when I finally found one that had a low starting bid so started bidding on won it! (for the decent price of £530 with 11 months MOT and 48k on the clock)
I've owned the bike 2 days, it needs quite a bit of work on it to make it look 'decent' as the plastics are a bit battered and cracked and in some places some panels are held on with self tappers! plus it seems to have a few electrical issues (indicators choose whether to blink or not, brake light sometimes stays on, which I hope will be easy fixes and for £530 I didn't expect a perfect one, but it runs fine, tops out at just over 60mph and is great fun and even with the missus on the back was happy to cruise at 55mph.

So there you have it, I now own an Innova and to be honest I love it even though I expect to speed some cash on it to get it looking decent.
Next step after making it look decent and correct the electrical issues is fit a big bore kit to it, hopefully someone knows what needs to be modified for it to work on the injection version.

Paul

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Hello from Lincoln, 50 yr old rides an Innova

Post by wightegi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi paul ,There is a lot of stuff avaiable for the Innova in Greece check out Motovardis ? 150 cc is a bolt on option .

Paul-VFG

Post by Paul-VFG » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I thought there was some messing about to fit the 150cc bigbore kit if I have the injection version?
If not then great, I'll get one ordered.
sorry for my lack of knowledge, what is Motovardis?
I'm new to this

Godspeed
Rides:: Anf125, C90G, PCX125

Post by Godspeed » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Just to add a couple of penny’s worth. I wouldn’t go bigger, one of the best features of the Innova is its incredible reliability and mpg.
I rode around Europe for heading to 3000 miles, up to 166mpg, about 30ml of oil, carried a months worth of full camping gear, and made me smile all the way
B5B30CE6-E885-4B8E-978D-A2801607EA68.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul-VFG

Post by Paul-VFG » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks godspeed, I'll probably leave it as is.

Just worked out that I did 57 miles for 2.72 lts of fuel, this was two up with my girlfriend.
95mpg, not sure how good compared to others but think it could be better.
Will have a check of tyre pressures and air filter tomorrow.
Chain tension has been checked and is ok

Paul

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

If you go to Honda other models page down the bottom and go to the 5th page and look down you will find information about the 57 mm 150cc conversion,
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31908

Paul-VFG

Post by Paul-VFG » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks wightegi I'll have a look.

Did a long journey two up today, 94 miles in total and it worked out at 121mpg :mrgreen: although there was lots of small villages and back roads where we could plod along at a nice 40-45mph

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:36 pm

You can find the Greece sites on Ebay, by going on a European wide search, but will 25cc make much difference and if it does will the running gear and suspension cope. I'm very happy with what Honda built and any intervention on my part could sacrifice reliability, getting there and back is more important than a bit of extra speed.
I manage about 125-150 mpg and carry an extra litre under the seat so I can risk running low.

Godspeed
Rides:: Anf125, C90G, PCX125

Post by Godspeed » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:00 pm

If you angle it right you can get a 2 litre under the seat which increases your range somewhat
A7DD60BD-2C27-44DA-8629-C4ACF899DCCB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul-VFG

Post by Paul-VFG » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 pm

perfect! thanks godspeed, I'll get one of those ordered off Amazon.

And I think I have to agree with you and dwm1950 that the extra 25cc probably isn't worth it!

I ran it on super unleaded today and it seemed to be much more responsive so for the time being I'll leave as is unless I can find proof that it helps with the grunt, doesn't damaged the mpg lots and doesn't lessen the reliability.