Greetings from across the pond

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
RustyCub
Rides:: 1969 CM91

Greetings from across the pond

Post by RustyCub » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:19 am

Hi all,
I’ve been lurking on your site for quite a while now and thought I’d finally say Hello. I rescued a ‘69 CM91 (USA) a few years ago and finally got it together enough to start taking her out for rides!

It needed a new top end after someone left the spark plug out for way too long, plus exhaust, seat cover, key, tires, other bits, etc. I’m chasing a strange oil leak from the top rear of the right side engine cover gasket, but other than that, it runs great.

Ive always wanted a SuperCub and was surprised when I finally found an affordable one in the states. They aren’t anywhere near as prevalent over here, so your site has been a huge help with mending the bike. The paint is a bit faded and it has some patina, but I am trying to keep the barn find look. Contrary to my username, the cub has very little rust (unless you count the old cylinder of course).

Anyway, here’s a picture after my ride today, enjoy!

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Greetings from across the pond

Post by wightegi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 am

Hi welcome along .Photos have to be hosted somewhere else a lot of us use postimage and there is a how to on here ,(the search box you will use )..did you read that in your best Yoda voice ? :lol: :lol:

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am

What part of the States are you in?

RustyCub

Post by RustyCub » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:27 pm

Ok let’s try these pictures again. That’s the last time I trust Google to do anything for me...

I am located in Michigan, the land overrun with Mustangs and V8s. Thanks for the postimage tip!

s h a r k
Rides:: C90,Innova

Post by s h a r k » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:02 am

Welcome.....nice bike, what sort of money would it cost to purchase one of those in your part of the world."....Cheers...Dave

Dave48
Rides:: HondaC90-G(1992) Cub,Yamaha Tracer700(2016)

Post by Dave48 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Welcome from the UK!
It's nice to see an "oldie" in such original condition. Have you had a look at the inside of the wheel rims yet?
Maybe the bike was dry stored and not subject to the ravages of road salt etc that we experience over here.
Glad to hear you are enjoying riding and getting to know the foibles of these little machines.

RustyCub

Post by RustyCub » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks for looking. I had a chance to get acquainted with the inside of the rims when I replaced the tires. The outside of the rims look rusty, but the insides seem quite sturdy and rust free. I had to straighten out a good sized bend in the rear rim and so far, no issues. It is sort of a conundrum for me how this was stored since the paint is faded and the cylinder was seized, but no real rot. It only has around 3k miles on the odometer, so I don't think it was used all that often, especially on the salty roads of winter.

In my experience, Super Cubs in the states generally go for between $2000-$2500 USD, sometimes more. Mine was only a few hundred though. Of course we usually call them by their model numbers (c50, c70, c90, cm91) because of the popular plane by the same name from years ago. The early 80s Passport C70s seem to be the most prevalent examples that I can find locally. They are getting more popular and desirable since the C125 was just released again. If someone wants to start a lucrative C90 USA importing business, just let me know...