New Member - 1985 c90M

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Daztovey
Rides:: Thruxton R

New Member - 1985 c90M

Post by Daztovey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi All,

Got my hands on a C90M at the weekend; it had been stood for 18 years. Me and my pal have bought one each for a laugh and maybe even the odd tour.

We both have full bike licences and big bikes, but these seem to give more smiles!

The chap that rescues the C90 seemed to deal with classic cars/bikes and put a new battery on and, seemingly, a new carb.

It starts and seems to run fine, and all for a fair price.

Bodywork is tired and there is rust in the obvious spots, however after a strip down yesterday, the rot normally seen under the mudguard on the frame was not there. All looks OK. Perhaps a benefit of it being stood indoors for so long.

I've done a lot of searching on the forum, but some threads are 10 years old so i'd rather get new answers to some questions, if possible. Bear with me:

1. Front suspension seems a little off - there is also a lot of grease/much at the bottom of the springs where the bushes are. Does a rebuild kit exist? I've seen mention before that copy parts are not great, but i would like to refresh these.

2. If i run with the rear mudguard off, are there recommended indicators/brake light/number plate mount options to cater for this?
2.1. will i still be able to mount some sort of rack on the back with the mud guard removed?

3. I cant seem to find replacement wheels anywhere. These are so rusty, even a wire brush on a drill just turned them orange, rather than cleaning them at all. Any options for standard wheels?

4. Is there a replacement modern chain guard available anywhere?

5. Before i remove the grips, would bar end mirrors fit the standard bars at all, what is the diameter?

6. Whilst the log book calls the bike a C90M, lots of part suppliers don't recognise the model, any reason why? Is it just a C90E, otherwise?

Thanks
Darryl

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: New Member - 1985 c90M

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:20 pm

Welcome.

The c90M was a UK model, I have one and think it is basically the same as the E.
If you start on CMSNL and use their part numbers and drawings to find stuff elsewhere maybe.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-c90m-cub-19 ... ueiyG5FzVI

Honda workshop manual download here https://www.dropbox.com/s/p74vrngyvls5z ... E.pdf?dl=0
If it doesn't work drop me a PM.

As you say it's all been covered on here over the last 11 years.

Front suspension apparently there are some really crap rebuild kits about.

Rear plastic off, been done loads, Whatever works really. Points to consider are that the rear and front lights are AC, indicators and brakelight are DC. If you buy aftermarket indicators make sure you use the original 10w bulbs, some come with bulbs included but usually 21w versions, too much for the flasher unit. If you just take the plastic off and leave the brackets then an old Rickman rack will still fit. If you fit a solo seat then a cheapo Chinese rack will fit behind the seat with ease. It may come with a chrome hoop at the front of it which can be painful on the base of your spine though. :D

Wheels. A lot of people buy new rims and spokes and re lace or have them done. Complete wheels are about but can be a faff, best do a search.

Chainguard, lots of iffy ones out there too. Looking for one myself and curently waiting for an answer from Nutjob.ie for a genuine.

Never been tempted to try bar ends as I like to push the bike through a single shed door, been done though.

Good luck.

Daztovey

Post by Daztovey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:27 pm

a few more questions, if you could humour me;

My friends C90 is a 1986, whereas mine is a 1986 - his front indicators seem to have extension brackets on, moving them away from the headlight. Whereas mine are directly next to the headlight. Is there a reason for this?

I've seen a few leg shields with what looks like a black rubber surround or beading around the edge. Is this a standard part or something aftermarket. Where would i get such a thing?

Cheers
Daz

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Both 1986 ? .the first square headlight bikes had the indicators near to the headlight which changed for later bikes ,it is only a problem if you are looking for a screen as there are 2 types .

Daztovey

Post by Daztovey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm

wightegi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Both 1986 ? .the first square headlight bikes had the indicators near to the headlight which changed for later bikes ,it is only a problem if you are looking for a screen as there are 2 types .
Sorry, i meant mine is '85 and his '86 - just wondered why the subtle difference

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:20 pm

The 85 bike will have chromed plastic indicators, 86 black plastic with, as you say, the metal brackets. You can fit either type to the bars as they have the same mounts. Think it was a safety issue, getting the indicators out wider. The chrome ones look neater IMHO and I found my set the other day so might fit them to my C90MG.

Legshields can be edged with car door protector, loads of different types and colours on eBay for very little. Some people also use the same stuff around the edges of the side panels too. Mostly comes with an adhesive strip in the channel. My C90MG has semi rigid chrome plastic applied and suspect that when my side panel fell off at 40mph on Sunday this may have saved it from cracking. :D

DSC00717 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.