First time cub owner

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Mailmale
Rides:: MD90

First time cub owner

Post by Mailmale » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:30 am

Hi, I'm Al.
A bit of an eccentric i suppose
I've had lots of motorbikes, and toured all over Europe on big bikes.

These days I prefer to fettle and tinker small capacity machines just because they are easy to work on and take up less space.

I'm on with a couple of 100cc yamaha machines at present for which, spares are impossible in many cases. I have now also developed an interest in C90's. On Monday all I knew about them was there have been a lot made and there have been some special purpose variants across the ages. Thus it was that I began looking and soon found the japanese mail delivery variant that you will already know a bit about. I actually have a planned use for this so was very pleased to discover they exist and the buying decision was therefore an easy one.

I dont expect ownership to be simple, I know spares like tyres will prove to be challenging but I like a challenge. Simple is dull......

Anyway, it's a 2006, 20,000 KM (hopefully not 120,000KM) and looks ok in the pics.

Delivery this week some time.

I look forward to being an active contributor in your forum.

Al

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: First time cub owner

Post by wightegi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am

Hi welcome to the Club, MD bikes are coming over here in small numbers and of course, there is the Australian postie bike . Put a rough location in your details ;)

Mailmale

Post by Mailmale » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:41 am

wightegi wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am
Hi welcome to the Club, MD bikes are coming over here in small numbers and of course, there is the Australian postie bike . Put a rough location in your details ;)

Thanks for the greeting.
North Yorkshire added to the profile.

Saw the yellow ones, I expect they are the oz post ones.

Plan is to fit a 40AH battery on the front rack and a HF VHF UHF transceiver on the back and use for easy access to remote sites for portable radio contest operation. Thus, first things to be searched for shall be a more aggressive set of tyres. (Probably no chance) :roll:

Leg shields,,, from the photos I’ve seen of these bikes being decommissioned on mass, they appear to remove the shields to get more bikes in a given area, thus, when sold, they are obviously fitted with the next set of leg shields in the stack. Basically, the ones on this bike look very shabby whereas the rest of the bike looks very smart. I’m hoping that standard C90 electric start ones will fit but again, I’m prepared for the struggle.

I’ll maintain a detailed thread on the bike itself for future reference.
Al

wightegi

Post by wightegi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:26 am

North Yorks a big place I used to live in Runswick Bay .. we have a few radio amateurs on here . Also, check the weight of the battery as too much upfront will cause very poor handling

Mailmale

Post by Mailmale » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 pm

Indeed, I’m looking for the weight ratings of the bike before I actually decide what battery to use.
The size of the top boxes on the back when in use as post bikes are rather comic looking :P

I have the option to use smaller, multiple lipo batteries instead of one big 40AH up front so will make that call once I know the ratings (if I can find them) of course, I could also reverse the load and have the power source on the back with the kit on the front.

I’ll probably use the bike for the odd shopping trip as well.

Location near Thirsk, yes, NY is the biggest county in GB.

Other hams? I didn’t know they rode C90’s, :shock: that wasn’t in the RSGB training!

Al

cornmek1
Rides:: Currently Sinnis Hero 125 - several cubs in the past

Post by cornmek1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:23 pm

No Ham today..

Don't operate much.. should do really in this lockdown, I have an Icom-703 portable beastie staring me down...

Maybe at the Southern Softies.. one year..

M0KCO ( Kevin )

Mailmale

Post by Mailmale » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:14 pm

cornmek1 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:23 pm
No Ham today..

Don't operate much.. should do really in this lockdown, I have an Icom-703 portable beastie staring me down...

Maybe at the Southern Softies.. one year..

M0KCO ( Kevin )
I’m very active Kevin,
Currently learning Morse and doing all the UKAC contests on VHF UHF. Did 4 m last week and it’s 23cm as soon as I build an antenna. My full exam was to have been in May but that isn’t happening for obvious reason so will be later this year. Monitoring GB3HG today, I can see it from my house and can work it on 300MW on a Yaesu vx6

Currently using
KX3
Icom 7300
Icom 9700
Also have 897 and 857, good but they are nothing like the SDR icom rigs.

I have a radio van and the bike will be a bit of fun

73,s
2E0VZZ

wightegi

Post by wightegi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

I don't know you people with little radios , I have an ROC so I am limited to 1500w :? :o :lol:

cornmek1
Rides:: Currently Sinnis Hero 125 - several cubs in the past

Post by cornmek1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:49 am

Its a little off thread BUT

If anyone has ever fancied this Ham radio malarkey ( and its quite fun ) NOW is the time to strike.

The Foundation exam is now being offered in the lockdown without the practical & remotely.

So, this is now a doddle ( aimed at cub/brownies .. with a tech bent ) to anyone with with a few spare hours on thier hands = everyone..

https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/h ... -pandemic/

Lots of online course & mock exams out there... and there is very little morse, as you'll see ( if you arent interested )

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/index. ... Foundation

Just saying.. but act fast before they pull out the soldering irons again :)

regards

Kev

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:57 am

Well done all but I can't get out of my head the vision of Delboy speaking into that massive mobile phone he had :lol:
He won't own up to it but Billyfix's "handle" (if that's what you call it) was happypappy!
God knows where that came from.
10:4
Out!