Riding to Turkey

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
markw
Rides:: cbf250

Riding to Turkey

Post by markw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi all, joined the site for advice and apologise if I've posted in wrong place. I retire next year and am Intending to ride to fethiye, Turkey taking 2 weeks, meet my other half and family, spend a month there before riding back. Hotel and flights have all been booked.
I considered doing it on a bigger bike specifically a Harley but I want something that's reliable and if it should break down can be repaired easily and locally wherever I am.
Does anyone have any advice, modifications, criticisms or anything. I know it's not rtw but it's a big adventure for me. I dont want to blat down motorways i want to go down back roads and meet the real people in the countries I'm going through, especially Serbia and Bulgaria. I've already posted on facebook C90 site so I apologise if some of you have seen me posing this question before. I'm just looking for as much advice as I can before I take the plunge and buy one
Mark

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Re: Riding to Turkey

Post by BenB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 pm

That sounds ace!
I've done many trips on many bikes, and the best ones have been on 125s and C90s. You see more, it's more rewarding and more folk want to talk to you!
250 miles on a C90 is a long way. Many have done more, but if you are planning to do more than an average of 250 a day, I think you're biting off more than you can chew. On a 125 you can increase it to 300.
Looks like your trip would be around 2250 miles, so at least 9 days solid riding. With a few sights thrown in, it'll be nearer 2500 to 2700. On that basis, two weeks sounds about right.
I'd be looking to go through the Vosges, along through the Alps to Lake Bled, along the Croatian coast. Into Mostar (via Plitvice?) and then across the Balkans. You have limitless options!
Have a look at this - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32315

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Mark
Any advice I could have given you probably won't apply after 31st October.

However I had the same trip planned in 2014 but it fell through (long story) but wasn't due to logistics

First call is horizons unlimited loads of seasoned riders there updating all the time.

I had to get a green card for Turkey (recall costing £70??) as it's not EU but the clone on a phone said it was so after getting a supervisor managed to get some common sense & somebody who understood it was Asia minor in old money.

Anyhow I was going to get extra insurance in Istanbul as again not covered in your 90 day eurocover.

Photocopy all your documents and this being the age of quality colour copiers very few officials will know it's not the real mcoy keep originals on you with a money belt or such.

Conceal cash in small amounts about the bike frame for emergencies (saves pulling out a nice wallet full of currency in some back of beyond garage)

I have seen big bikes in Turkey but they are few & far between and the biggest UK reg bike was a 650 thumper but I never met the owner & to this day wonder if it was legit

Turkish police will pull you over early hours of the morning or at night but once they realise your Englush wave you on your way.

Turkey has limited big brand models listed on official websites and the Chinese influence is huge.

As far as spares go I'm sure others here (& previous posts) list what's needed but I also carry a large oxford chain and lock (It's a nuisance and space stealer) but piece of mind.

You don't say if your camping or B&B/hotel but if it's the latter then chain and lock more so (it takes nothing to lift a small bike into an estate or van)

Another theory of mine was if a small bike is stolen it's liable to be kids,ragged about locally and dumped whereas a big brand bike has monetary value so not liable to return (unlike the UK,where nothing is sacred)

Youve actually got me thinking it's a trip I should resurrect (I was going to do it on an RV125- 2 lads have since been to Mongolia on them amongst others)

Please keep us informed of your progress and planning I for one am keen to hear

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Post by raybarber » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:24 pm

You might find this entertaining and informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1rPNNWtbyo&t=25s

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Sounds like a plan.

I have no experience in long distance rides, I can't even get out of the end of my driveway safely but I have done 200 miles in a day on a Cub, hard on your rear end. Plenty of advice on seat mods here including Newt's Iron Butt ride.

If you haven't already read it Nathan Millwards "Long Ride Home" is worth reading and Boggers mate Ed has done a bit too.

If it was me I would look into an Enfield Himalayan or maybe a Sinnis Terrain.

Good luck whatever you decide on! :D

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Welcome, sounds awesome. And good luck, enjoy!

JOHNBOY
Rides:: HONDA SUZUKI

Post by JOHNBOY » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 pm

who is boggers mate ed

JOHNBOY
Rides:: HONDA SUZUKI

Post by JOHNBOY » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm

who is boggers mate ed

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am

JOHNBOY wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm
who is boggers mate ed
You tube Ed March. Thousands of miles of adventuring on a C90.
Bogger loves him.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:25 pm

He's an absolute money grabbing tit. Take advice from him at your peril.

Bogger