Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Barry68
Rides:: C90M,-T (W reg 2000) and C90-N (J reg 1992)

Post by Barry68 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi All
I'm new to the forum and to C90's and bikes in general. I'm hoping to do an extended trip with my son on C90's, no date set at the moment. I would really like to get to know my way around the engine before the trip so that I can do my own repairs. Are there any members in the Berkshires area who would be happy to share their knowledge and expertise and maybe guide me through a rebuild Inc replacing head, cylinder and piston. She is running fine at the moment with 76000 miles but exhaust is blowing a bit and one of the studs has been snapped off leaving only one nut. The other is very rusty and corroded. Im working on worst case scenario that studs won't come out, hence the head replacement as it's seen better days. I'll try to post some pictures and take advice on whether it really does need replacing. I have already posted about spark plug threads being knackered and plug fouling on something when scewed in tight causing gap to be closed up. (Thanks for reply Wightgi). If there are any C90 experts near me I'd it would be great to meet up and pick your brains. Are the engine's easy to get running again after a removal and rebuild or are they a bit finicky.

Cheers Barry

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: New member

Post by wightegi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:34 pm

If the head looks like it has a bit broken off near the exhaust they all look like that. The heads changed over the years which is why it is good to put the year of your bike in your details .Early heads had the cam running in the head the later ones had roller bearings.
There are a lot of guides on how to rebuild engines on here with some great videos by AE86.

Barry68
Rides:: C90M,-T (W reg 2000) and C90-N (J reg 1992)

Re: New member

Post by Barry68 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks Wightgi. I'm slowly finding my way round the bike with the Haynes manual at the moment. It looks like the engine has been replaced as there is no starter motor where it should be. The head itself hasn't got anything snapped off, just looks like one of the exhaust studs has previously been snapped off leaving only one nut. The first job I want to do is replace the exhaust as it has a couple of holes and is blowing at the cylinder head. I'm concerned once I try to get the old exhaust off the studs might shear. I'll just have to bite the bullet I suppose. Then I'm going to get a thread insert you recommend for the spark plug fitted by local garage. If anyone has tips on removing exhaust studs or can recommend someone local to me for the thread insert I'd be grateful.
Cheers Barry