It is I, the Dog!

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Dogbad
Rides:: XBR 500, an '87 C90 and a Lifan "Dax"copy 110cc.

It is I, the Dog!

Post by Dogbad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 pm

(Lancaster!) I've cut and pasted this from another forum so if you feel as if you already saw this you probably did!
Spent most of the past few years on cycling forums but THE LICENCE IS BACK so I'm now getting back to the old ways.

Dogbad in Lancaster for my sins! I'm 48 years old and have had bikes of one sort or another since I got my first Bantam 175 (D 14/4) aged 8. I got caught on the road on my Triton cafe racer in 1975, aged 13, and was taken to court and given three endorsements (Remember them?) to go on my licence as soon as I was old enough to have said item! I've had over 80 bikes through the years and they have been all sorts from standard 1953 A7 BSA to Z1300 chop and up to a brand new FJ1200 in 1989. Lived in many places, home and overseas, but originally from Leeds.
27th April 1996 I was waking up from a 12 day coma. Living in Suffolk at the time and working in Essex. Set off for work one morning on the Suzuki GV1200 and didn't get there. Bevel drive in the shaft siezed up on a "S" bend and got me to sliding down the road. Apparently held it for about 30 feet and then it flipped and high sided me. The bang of that and the comvenient stone Kerb that my head finally stopped against gave me Three skull fractures and then it was hospital and coma. My wife (At the time but no more) tells me that the Doctors didn't expect me to live and were surprised when I started to get out of the coma and still have the ability to say words like "Cigarettes NOW!" I did live and am still registered disabled. I had to return my licence to DVLA but got it back a year or so ago on a 3 year renewable deal. I went from wheelchair to two crutches, then two sticks and now I mostly use one stick. I can't work because I am in pain a lot of the time and have a doctors note telling me to "Refrain from working Permanently". As you can imagine this limits the finances.
I found a Handy Brother and borrowed loads of money from him. One day I may give him some of it back! I went through a year or so of buying bikes, 5 in the garage at one point!, and have managed to finally sell them all off bar 2. I have the Honda XBR 500 and a Lifan 110 Dax copy that I pootle about on here and there and today I managed to collect a 1987 C90. Pretty ratty condition but it has a full MOT, advisories on a few dents in the rims, and runs okay. I've had a couple of C90/70's back in the ealry 80's and loved them and it is nice to get a hold of one again. Only worry is the licence renewal! I applied for it a few months ago and there has been a lot of here and there mail between my GP and the DVLA in Swansea. The application is with the Doctor at DVLA and he is still delaing with applications from back in June, 3 months ago! My own GP was against me riding or driving but I managed to see him a few days ago and he has graciously given in and said he is okay with it all si it is now simply down to the DVLA medical people :? Wish me Luck!

Fuzz

Re: It is I, the Dog!

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 pm

XBR500 eh ?

I see a pattern forming here , & other forums !!!! Thumper club...

Dogbad
Rides:: XBR 500, an '87 C90 and a Lifan "Dax"copy 110cc.

Post by Dogbad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Tha's right sithee Fuzz 8-)
Might have noticed the change in the Licence aplication status? Means I'm keeping a tight hold of the XBR for now at least until I know one way or the other for sure.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Good luck with getting ur licence back, a C90 is a good place to return to biking, it got me back in.
Welcome to C90 club! :D :D :D

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 am

Yep, as above. All the best with it. :)

Damn kill joys! Actually, if you go from 'wheelchair to two crutches, then two sticks then one stick', I would have thought the next natural progression in your path to recovery would be a Honda Cub!
I always think 'Why walk and wear out my knee joints when I could be on a Cub' :twisted:

takizakura
Rides:: honda solo

Post by takizakura » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 am

Good on you Dog, hope you get your licence and have a bit of fun.